Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Autumn / Winter kit list?
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

*NEWBIE ALERT*

I’ve been riding all summer and am incredibly keen to keep it going through the autumn and winter. What are the key bits of kit for warmth and safety that i’ll need? Lights, arm warmers etc…

Any help would be much appreciated, and recipricated with free lifts to Gisburn / Betws-y-coed / other North West trails from Manchester

Thanks

transapp
    Free Member

Lights, order from deal extreme now (unless rich in which case spen 10x in bike shop)
    Get some seal skins waterproof socks. Get a wind proof soft shell and either some longer trousers or a decent pair of tights. Pair of gloves, set of mud tyres and jobs a goodun.

Jamie
    Free Member
    eightyeight
    Free Member

transapp – Thanks, that’s a great run down. Are there any specific brands / spec for lights i should look out for? I’ll def take a look at that deal extreme website

Jamie – You’ve got to love Aldi!

transapp
    Free Member

I don’t know the latest models I’m afraid, look out for their bike specific 1000+ lumen handlebar mounted jobbies. I think if you search this forum you’ll find a fair few threads about it.

Oh, and i got some cracking led rear lights off on-one website this time last year, only about £6ea, brighter than the sun!

lunge

Aldi is a great idea, the gloves specifically are really good and the tops aren’t bad either.

will
    Free Member

Roubaix arm warmers
    Roubaix leg warmers
    A softshell style gilet
    A buff
    Warm gloves
    Warm & waterproof socks

soma_rich
    Free Member

this is what I wear for 3/4 of the year. Only in summer when its too hot do I go short sleeved.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-BER-MER.htm

Autumn/spring merino long sleeves on its on own is fine,
    Winter long sleeved merino + gillet or jacket.

Socks and gloves need a thread of their own!

mdb
    Free Member

Don’t forget a sense of humour

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks for all your tips. I’ve got a few bits and pieces from my roadie stash.

Was up in Lancashire in horizontal rain last Sunday and was starting to get a chill on with just shorts and a t-shirt. Don’t worry mdb – I was laughing my head off…

ransos
    Free Member

For MTBing, I focus more on trying to stay warm than dry – waterproofs just make you sweat. Merino is great stuff – I go for a t-shirt, long sleeve and road jersey (all from Planet X) under a windproof jacket if it’s really cold.

amsterdan
    Free Member

3/4 waterproof shorts rab meco merino baselayer a pair of sealskinz waterproof gloves gore active shell waterproof was riding in hebdon bridge in horizontal rain and savage winds this lot kept me dry without sweating to much i also take spare waterproof socks for post ride pint hate sitting around with wet cold feet 🙁 i am also based in manchester if you want to hook up for a ride email is in profile

JRTG
    Free Member

Lots of layers is always the key. Oh and nice warm winter boots if you can afford to splash out on a pair. Layering wise you will get to know what you need for the conditions with a little experience. My layering starts with gilet, and arm warmers and by mid winter to 2 pairs of bib tights, a million layers jacket and balaclava……. I hate cold ears

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Think i’ve whittled to the following stash list:

– Merino wool base layer
    – Planet X Guru Team Winter Bib Tights (got)
    – Soft shell waterproof (got)
    – buff (got)
    – Long sleeve merino jersey
    – Fox antifreeze glooves
    – seal skin socks
    – 100 lumen handle bar mount light
    – Rear led lights

If anyone is at Hebden cinema tonight, give me a wave. I’ll be with stupidly tall blonde chap.

eightyeight
    Free Member

^^
    That was obviously meant to read “tomorrow night for the Reveal the Path premier”.

Northwind

Cheapo fleece from Mountain Warehouse
    Cheapo fleece from Mountain Warehouse with most of the arms cut off
    That waterproof jacket that you got ages ago but never wear because it’s too hot

And yep, Fox Antifreeze gloves, there might possibly be better but nothing else that I’ve tried is. Frankly no other winter cycling glove I’ve used has been worthy of the name- they’re all either not warm enough or not cycling enough.

joeyj
    Free Member

I bought one of These last winter as I was going out the following day and no one had my size in. Went out first thing in the morning when it was -3 and it didn’t get above zero all day with just a short sleeved merino wool base layer on under it. It was great and have had no complaints at all and a bargain at £20 may even get another. There baggy shorts are good too and the long sleeved tops all muddy fox.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Autumn / Winter kit list?’ is closed to new replies.