Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • AutoCAD WS
  • tails
    Free Member

Anyone given it a blast? I just downloaded it and it seems a bit jittery. Am I working online or offline. I skim read the details.

For those who don’t know it is FREE autoCAD but very basic.

J0N
    Free Member

Just had a look at it.
    Seems workable if you can’t get to your computer but your defintely working online hence the lag.

RustyMac

Would this be worth a look if i wanted to try and teach my self how to use autoCAD?

do you need a powerfull PC or will a 4-5 year old laptop be ok for running it?

cheers

Rusty

tails
    Free Member

If as JON is saying it is online then your main problem will be the connection. It is very simple and will be perfect for those working in 2D, especially if you can print. Go have a look.

RustyMac

Cheers tails will do. Looking to progress my career as i got a degree in electronic and electrical engineering in the summer but i’m finding it hard to get a better job as every where is looking for people with experiance of the job they are applying for. One if the things i do not have on my CV is any experiance of autoCAD so hopefull if i can get a little knowledge under my belt it will help my chances.

RustyMac

oops double post

Martin_pendle
    Free Member

Starting to loose track of all these versions of AutoCAD. I think there are two free ones now, one that works locally but you can store the documents in the cloud and they are testing one on Autodesk Labs that is entirely in the cloud. AutoCAD WS is also available as an app for the iPhone and iPad.

If you want something free that is remarkably close to using AutoCAD I recently had a play with Solidworks Draft Sight and found it very similar to AutoCAD with the bonus of working on a Mac too. While free it contains most of the 2D abilities in AutoCAD.

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/

donks
    Free Member

This is really just a viewer, probably best for the ipad taken to site. The guy next to me has it and uses it on his iphone to view drawings. Editing is kind of limited to revision balloons and text comments. There is a you tube vid to show what it does. Pretty handy for anyone who has no laptop or ACad on site or out of the office but access to the internet.

Oggles
    Free Member

If you know a student with an education email address… ‘they’ can get a full 3 year license of Autocad and other Autodesk software. Rusty Mac if your student email is still valid and accessible you might be in luck!

http://students.autodesk.com/

RustyMac

Just checked my Student email and it works wooo and indeed hooo. Will give that link a look when i get home tonight.

fruitbat

Alternatively you could try Solid Edge – Free Solid Edge.

Miles better than AutoCAD – but then again I’m biased.

donks
    Free Member

Fruitbat….just wondering, you never worked in Milton Keynes as a mechanical engineer did you??

fruitbat

donks – no I’ve never been in MK, ever. I am a mechanical engineer though!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘AutoCAD WS’ is closed to new replies.