• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by was.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Audi TT – First Generation.
  • tails
    Free Member

I know this is not quiet bangernomics, but these are looking very cheap at the mo. In fact cheaper than the mini I was looking at, plus the insurance is similar.

Has anyone driven one? Any common problems to look out for? I was looking at the basic 180BHP version as parkers said the engine is good on it.

druidh
    Free Member

Didn’t they top the table for “least reliable car” for a while?

stumpy01

Engine is the same in both the 180 & the 225 versions, but the 225 is obviously in a higher state of tune.

My brother had one years ago as a company car (X reg, I think). I drove it a few times and it was nice, but it’s not a ‘driver’s car’ if that’s important to you. I seem to remember the engine being very linear – there’s no slog of power, it just keeps pulling. I never really gave it a thrashing, but in terms of handling I understand it’s OK but nothing outstanding…..

I really like the interior and the boot is pretty large. Rear seats are a bit of a joke, probably OK for young kids.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My bro and a mate had one (each), both liked them, you can get 2 bikes in the coupe, not stellar handling, but not barge (think Golf?)

If I was after a car that age I’d be very tempted, but it’s 15 years too young…

cynic-al
    Free Member

My bro and a mate had one (each), both liked them, you can get 2 bikes in the coupe, not stellar handling, but not barge (think Golf?)

If I was after a car that age I’d be very tempted, but it’s 15 years too young…

cb

The missus had the model that you are looking at from new and it was a really nice car. No idea on longevity though as it was sold after a couple of years – look at Honest John for an informed opinion.

I am a ‘normal’ driver rather than any kind of expert on handling and performance and from my perspective it went like stink. The major drawback was having to disguise myself as a woman before driving it…

tails
    Free Member

Didn’t they top the table for “least reliable car” for a while?

Really!! perhaps I’ll steer clear!

joao3v16
    Free Member

If you’re a hairdresser, perma-tanned female or having a mid-life crisis then a TT is the perfect car for you.

My brother-in-law has one. He’s not a hairdresser or female. So that just leaves the third option (he is imminently turning 40 …).

sssimon
    Free Member

first tt was designed then engineered

second tt was enginneered then designed

first one looks nice and isn’t the stiffest thing in the world, baggy would be the word I would use

second one is awesome

xiphon
    Free Member

Got a mk1 TT sitting outside 🙂

1.8T, 180HP, 4×4 QS, 54 plate, 55k on the clock.

The only difference between the 180 and 225 is the turbo fitted. I’m going to remap it soon, which will bring it up to around 220.

Fuel economy – we averaged 38mpg over 300 miles with average speed 91… *cough*

Scamper
    Free Member

More room than you think, as the rear seats fold completely flat for a decent boot. Interior a lovely place to sit.

225hp 4WD version is still quick by todays standards. V6 no quicker, more nose heavy but feels and sounds a lot more special. 180HP ok as lighter.

I had both, but the problem is, I then drove a mark 5 golf gti, and although not quite as quick in a straight line, the turbo engine and handling were in a different league.

Solo
    Free Member

In general, I’d have to say Audis are crap.

I’ve had a few, got one now.

In some ways, so dissapointing.

The best thing Audi has going for it is the exterior styling.
    They look good.

But my Fords where better made and more durable.

xiphon
    Free Member

And to add, I’m planning on dropping it 25-30mm, and spacing out the wheels slightly. Looks loads better (wheels fill the arches nicely) and handling is improved.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

second one is awesome

Agreed. I miss mine so much. Every time I get into the new family super-liner I wish I still had it.

tails
    Free Member

Mixed bag then, I may stick to the mini idea.

allthepies
    Free Member

The engine is a peach, as above it just keeps pulling. I’ve not got a TT but a Leon with the same engine.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Nice to look at inside and out, pretty small inside though.

Supposed to be a sports car, but sports car they are not, but then again as said above it is an Audi…

was
    Free Member

The very first TTs (1999) came with smaller front wishbone bushes. They allowed less movement and better handling. When people started crashing them (lift off oversteer at high speeds) Audi recalled them and fitted bigger baggier front bushes and the boot spoiler.

The best thing you can do to tighten up the handling is replace the front bushes with stiffer ones (or use “defcon” adapters and the original bushes).

Lots of R32 suspension fits -ARBs (which rust on Mk1 TTs) etc.

I had a Mk1 225, great car – good materials, good interior, great design. Great in the snow too.

I had a genuine roof rack for carrying bikes and sofas.

As said though, not a sports car, its much more comfortable! My 350z now is much more of a sports car handling and power wise, but its not quite so well made and not as comfortable on british roads.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Audi TT – First Generation.’ is closed to new replies.