Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • attending interviews whilst in employment?
  • tails
    Free Member

right then how does this work. i have reasonably recently started a job, there was no honeymoon period the job is all a bit naff. If I apply to places and get interviews what is the general practice, as i can not afford to just sack it off and be unemployed. Or should i request evening interviews?? 😕 I've never been in this position before. cheers

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You'll have to take annual leave won't you? Unless the job is sales in which case your prospective employer will accept that you'll sell your soul to close whatever deal is in the making 🙂

tails
    Free Member

You'll have to take annual leave won't you?

mleh i'm gonna get caught out and sacked!! 😡

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Have a cold?

Ring in "sick"

tails
    Free Member

Ring in "sick"

hmm I'm rarely ill, although the dishonest route does seem the only way, which is annoying as i'm not liked that and don't want to treat people like that.

richmars

I don't get why you don't just book a day's holiday. You don't have to explain why.

tails
    Free Member

I don't get why you don't just book a day's holiday. You don't have to explain why.

Think the boss is pretty sharp, reckon I'd get caught out and get the chop.

Coyote
    Free Member

You can't get sacked for attending an interview so MTFU.

billybob
    Free Member

Is the interview for the company next door or a local competitor?

richmars

Sounds like a plan; sacked for attending an interview, do them for unfair dismissal.

uplink
    Free Member

Sounds like a plan; sacked for attending an interview, do them for unfair dismissal.

read the first line of the OP again

tails
    Free Member

maybe i'll be honest and say the jobs naff i'll stay but i'm on the lookout! 😆

fubar
    Free Member

The problem I have with requesting holiday is that the request can be rejected (especially if it is late notice)…which then makes absence on the day very suspicious. Also be ready for the interview question when they ask you how you got out of work for the interview, that's happened to me twice.

tails
    Free Member

Also be ready for the interview question when they ask you how you got out of work for the interview, that's happened to me twice.

whats this?

Ewan
    Free Member

If you're new to the job, then he won't know you don't get ill often. Or just lie and say you're going to a christening or something.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I was in a similar boat a few weeks ago. I arranged for a morning interview (10am) and called in with "car trouble – I'll be in later." No-one was any the wiser.

Depends on being able to get a morning interview though!

fubar
    Free Member

whats this?

Twice an interviewer has asked me how I had arranged to get away from my job to attend the interview. If you're not a great liar (I'm not) and you took the day as a sickie (and they guess this) then you're not going to look like the kind of person they want to employ – I guess the correct answer is you took a holiday (even if you didn't).

GJP
    Free Member

Domestic crisis – somewhere deep in my employment regs there is a provision for two days leave for handling domestic crises. Not sure if it gets abused or not. I have only called on it once in 16 years – for legit reasons.

igm

I always take annual leave and I also always tell my boss why I'm taking it. Not been sacked yet. Incidentally I'm also always clear with the company that's interviewing me that if there is a reason I can't get leave I will need to reschedule – most companies respect, even desire, people who take their responsibilities seriously.

tails
    Free Member

always clear with the company that's interviewing me that if there is a reason I can't get leave I will need to reschedule

oh that sounds smart, by the way i don't have another interview yet just planning ahead.

scraprider
    Free Member

book a ay off mate , its no ones business but yours what you do on said day off.

scotabroad

Honest way = days holiday, or un paid leave, or do the interview in the evening, lunchtime, weekend etc.

Your work cannot prevent this, people go for interviews, people change jobs its a fact of life and recognised by employers.

Dishonest way = sickie, lying, etc.

Your choice.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘attending interviews whilst in employment?’ is closed to new replies.