Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 459 total)
  • Atheists/Agnostics/Sceptics – Religious questions you want answered
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

however it seems to me that many believers really don’t seem to like other people believing in a different God? Why is that?

the first of the ten commandments
    Secondly their faith lets them know the other person is wrong

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I guess I’m trying to figure out why (say) the Norse gods aren’t as good as the Christian one?

I’m betting that monotheism ousted polytheism partly because it was a one*-fits-all alternative without (quite) all of that pluralistic complexity and heavy ritual.

*discounting the Trinity which I still don’t fully understand in a ‘standalone’ sense. I do find it fascinating in a comparative sense, ie

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_deity

https://www.ucg.org/bible-study-tools/booklets/is-god-a-trinity/how-ancient-trinitarian-gods-influenced-adoption-of-the

RustySpanner

AD – Member
    I’m an atheist but I really enjoyed American Gods on Amazon – so I’ve been thinking – how do you choose a god to believe in? Which one is best?

You could always start your own religion?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m betting that monotheism ousted polytheism partly because it was a one*-fits-all alternative without (quite) all of that pluralistic complexity and heavy ritual.

Its just simper a bit like how having one boss would be easier than having 23

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think Norse gods were actual bosses of anyone were they? Just a powerful race of beings.

AD

To be fair, much as I would probably enjoy Norse or Roman debauchery I think I might be a pastafarian at heart… http://www.pastafarian.co.uk

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

I’m a pantheist = “god”, universe or whatever (insert name here)is everything, therefore belief in god is irreverent as one cannot believe in everything. Which also destroys the notion of freewill as god is everything including oneself. Perfectly understandable when considered with the notions of parallel universes. Never could see the problem with being an atheist for this reason.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well yes. To deal with the question of ‘is there a god?’ you first have to define ‘god’.

There’s one for SaxonRider’s book – what is God?

mattyfez

If there really is a god surely he would smite anyone who started yet another STW religion thread….

I’ve challenged God various times, he never picks up the phone. If you are lucky you’ll get his secretary.

He’s probably gone down the pub.

slackalice
    Free Member

Monotheism came about with the rise of Judaism, prior to that, it is believed that there were many Gods.

Interestingly, the Christian religion also has a polytheist premise in so far as all the saints, who are by any other name, demi-gods. Or at least, that’s the interpretation I choose to make.

Talking of interpretations, I am continually surprised by the number of intelligent people on here who still feel the need to subscribe to the established definitions of God. Why? It’s your life, your world, your Universe, your existence, no one else’s! So why not make your reality fit for you?

Define your own God if you choose, who is there to stop you? Furthermore, choose your own version of life or non existence after shaking free of the human mortal coil, nobody knows what, if anything happens, so set yourselves free and make your own belief, it’s no more delusional than believing your going to spend eternity with a shit load of virgins – which quite frankly does nothing for me, so guess what? I don’t subscribe to that.

Whatever you choose to believe in or have faith in ( the two are completely interchangeable by the way), be it a Christian, Muslim, Hindu or Norse God, the Universe, it may even be money, whatever, just be sure that your faith makes you a better person and if by choosing to not believe in any form of unknown Higher Power or those listed above, that belief also makes you a better person.

Refreshing to see the lack of antagonist posts on here today, well done. 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

In other words, there’s a portion of society that feels the need to berate other people with different points of view, regardless of what that point of view might be. People who cannot accept differences

Someone should invent a word for this.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Well yes. To deal with the question of ‘is there a god?’ you first have to define ‘god’.

That’s the trick.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    You die and life goes on without you.

Which is fine to accept, but the concept of non-existence is a struggle. As vaguely a scientist, having an understanding under current theories that the universe is infinite and time may actually be infinite, and we cease to be and never can ever exist in any form ever again, freaks me out.

No get out with time looping round and everything repeats again. Nothing.

Belief in some kind of afterlife makes it easier to handle. Not saying you should or I do, but I kind of feel happy for people who do.

Fictional stories about immortality always go on about it being a curse. Stuff that. If it’s non existence or live forever, I’ll take the latter.

Anyway…

[video]https://youtu.be/lm6YnAqPv4w[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

I like slackalice.

pitduck
    Free Member

In the complete absence of any proof,WHY?

mattyfez

the concept of non-existence is a struggle

Of course it’s a struggle, you didn’t exist before your birth and you’ll ceace to exist when you die.

That’s a hard pill to swallow.

Whether you can get over it or not, it’s entirely up to you.

badnewz
    Free Member

If God is good, why did he choose Evolution (with its attendant suffering, waste, and in the animal kingdom, predatory behaviour) as the process to run his cosmos?

slackalice
    Free Member

Thank you molgrips.

Thank you also for your continued presence and stance on these faith threads, in spite of the views expressed. Better man than me, I stopped contributing as I cannot be arsed trying to explain anything to anyone who goes to any length to not listen and show a modicum of respect.

Thanks also to the mods, who I presume have at the very least had a word or two with the main protagonists and as such have enabled an environment for more reasoned discussion.

Who else? My agent, my manager, my partner, parents and of course, the Universe for making all this happen in the first place 😉

I think I like your idea of a bike ride too 😀

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

deadkenny Don’t get hung up with this universe/or time frame, there are plenty of others (unlimited). Lose the notion of self and accept the notion that you are the universe(s). “The concept of non-existence is a struggle” which is why Religion and faith where invented, for the need for the “self” to exist. Self is totally irreverent to the universe and is but a moment.

SaxonRider

Feelin’ the love.

slackalice
    Free Member

@ weatheredwannabe – beautifully and eloquently put, my belief too 😀

RustySpanner

molgrips – Member
    Well yes. To deal with the question of ‘is there a god?’ you first have to define ‘god’

Everyone defines God in their own manner.

I’m happy with my definition and my answer to the ‘Is there a God?’ question.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s a good thread 🙂

Religion is a fascinating topic because its completely intertwined with history and humanity and those things make us who we are even if we aren’t believers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

weatheredwannabe- very Bhuddist view – not sure if intentional or not- not a criticism just an observation seeing as its a nice thread

FWIW i think there is a difference between spirituality and faith
    I have dabbled and whilst i do many Buddhist practices i dont consider myself one and I dont believe in reincarnation or nirvana but i do feel happier doing spiritual things [ yoga/meditation in the main]

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t quite understand what spirituality means. I see myself as a collection of emotions, and I know they are created by chemicals, so I don’t separate them from the physical world. Does spirituality draw a distinction between the physical world and something else?

RustySpanner

Well that depends on how you define it.
    🙂

But yes.
    😀

Do you believe that there is anything that isn’t part of ‘the physical realm’?

Edukator
    Free Member

If spirituality had nothing to do with the physical world people wouldn’t do this for spiritual reasons:

RustySpanner

Could you tell me what’s spiritual about it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

He is on a bike and that idiot is walking 😉

Just because you dont believe in god does not mean you are no longer on a quest for meaning and i think we all need to stop and stare in wonder at this great experience called life and the universe

Its fantastic and all of us can do great things [ though not on the internet in my case] . We can a make a difference, we can all improve ourselves and the world and it means nothing at all

I dont intellectualise it i just feel better when I meditate or do yoga or seek inner harmony/peace – again I hide this incredibly well n the internet dont I 😳

slackalice
    Free Member

Good question molgrips and one I’ve pondered on for a number of years, which has lead me to draw a definition that I relate to, which is the same definition I hold for Love:

The will to extend oneself for the benefit of ones own and another’s personal growth.

It’s all about the intent and being present. Who has been somewhere with others or on your own where the experience filled you with pure joy or intense feelings of goodwill? That could be a spiritual experience. Lots of things can go into the mix too and there are lots of ways to access those moments and state of being.

By the way, my definition, for me. I have no intention of it being a doctrine! It may be bat shit mental and delusional to some, but it’s my world, my Universe! 😉

RustySpanner

Just because you dont believe in god does not mean you are no longer on a quest for meaning

I’m not.
    I’m quite happy that there is no ‘meaning’.
    🙂

…..i just feel better when I meditate or do yoga or seek inner harmony/peace

I can enjoy that too, but without the quest.

And you’re intellectualising it right now.

Junkyard
    Free Member

your just trying to test my inner calm arent you:wink:

We are debating it so to some degree yes just as you are with no “meaning”

Shall we forgive each other

jimjam
    Free Member

Shall we get back to asking questions or continue patting each other on the back?

slackalice
    Free Member

Yeah okay, so jimjam, are you feeling the Love?

😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

RustySpanner

I’m serious!
    🙂

You choose not to believe in God, but still believe there is some form of ‘meaning’ to be searched for.

A physical thing, a true understanding of the mechanics behind the universe, or something ‘spiritual’?

If the latter, you’ve replaced a belief in God with something almost indistinguishable.

slackalice
    Free Member

Which matters to you and not the person who forms such a belief.

RustySpanner

I know.
    🙂

I’m interested how we reconcile seemingly unreconcileable concepts.
    It seems to be a universal human trait.

jimjam
    Free Member

slackalice – Member

Yeah okay, so jimjam, are you feeling the Love?

No. I’m sitting here wondering why the old testament god was such an asshole.

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m interested how we reconcile seemingly unreconcileable concepts.
    It seems to be a universal human trait.

You just answered your own question there!

No. I’m sitting here wondering why the old testament god was such an asshole.

Fair enough, crack on.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 459 total)

The topic ‘Atheists/Agnostics/Sceptics – Religious questions you want answered’ is closed to new replies.