Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Aternatives to Howies and the like?
  • letmetalktomark

It has gotten to the stage where I am starting to look a little threadbare and sadly it is time for some new clobber.

I have traditionally bought Howies in the past but sadly my budget does not stretch to their current kit 🙁 BTW not knocking Howies here, just a factual observation.

So then in the “Howies Type” arena who else to consider? Looking for good quality foremost, but the environmental “thing” is also a consideration 😉

So then any recommendations, ones to avoid etc?

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Not cheap, but Finisterre are awesome.

Stylish and superb quality.

miketually
    Free Member

Howies in the sale? 🙂 Actually, the sales are nowhere near as good as they used to be, since Timberland bought them out.

Timberland?

miketually
    Free Member
    letmetalktomark

miketually – Member

Howies in the sale? Actually, the sales are nowhere near as good as they used to be, since Timberland bought them out.

I hadn’t realized that had happened 😳

@ bravohotel9er – Will give them a look

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Timberland?

Quality products, making an effort on the eco front, reasonably good value…what’s not to like?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

What sort of kit/gear are you after? I use Alpkit for things like Tshirts/jeans/hoodies and the like, and to be honest that just about describes my wardrobe…

RJ (never classed as a dedicated follower of fashion!!)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Yeah Finisterre are good but probably more costly than Howies in many cases. They often have sales on. Have worked with them in the past and know the founder pretty well so am more than slightly into their kit!

iDave
    Free Member

+2 for finisterre – good design, really great people too, though limited range at the moment. TKMAX works for me most of the time.

titusrider
    Free Member

Ive got a howies 10% code in my mail this morn if that would help soften the blow (you missed out on 20% the other week :))

miketually
    Free Member

I hadn’t realized that had happened

Happened a year or so ago. David and Claire (the founders) have both left now.

scruff
    Free Member

Have a good rummage on the floor / ceiling at TKmaxx. Some top quality stuff in there that no-one buys as its doesnt say Mackensie (or whatever it is) ins 5ft letters across the front.

ourmaninthenorth

Kuyichi

I’ve had a pair of their jeans – nice.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

+3for Finisterre. I’ve got quite a bit of their merino, and it’s really good stuff.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

On the Finisterre tip, I have a Matanuska M65 jacket (currently 50% off on website!), an Etobicoke insulated jacket (currently a 30% off on website) and an Arcus zip hoody (okay, pretty damn expensive, but…most comfortable hoody ever).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Finisterre stuff:
    Pre “names” mid layer fleece
    Pre “names” super thick fleece (more like a coat) and possibly the warmest thing ever made.
    2 x Eddys (one merino)
    2 x cohos (one full merino, one half merino, hald cotton)
    Nikwax Analagy Storm Track jacket
    Matanuska Jacket (the one without a hood that’s a bit more town/casual)
    Bise sleeveless puffa
    2 merino T shirts (plain)

All is brilliant.

Wife has a similar amount too.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Carhartt / Analog / Volcom

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

miketually – Member

Outlier? http://outlier.cc/
    Jeeeeeez – they’re helluva expensive! Cheapest jeans >£100, £50+ for a cap, ~£40 just for a keychain!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

QUOTE: Margin Walker – Member
    Carhartt / Analog / Volcom
    UNQUOTE

I’ve gone a little crazy on Carhartt over the years…

4 shirts, 3 tee shirts, hoody, jacket, beanie

and Volcom:

6 tee shirts, 1 long sleeve tee shirt, 1 shirt, 1 sweater, 2 sweatshirts, 2 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of shorts, 1 jacket, 2 beanies, 2 belts

😯

My brother nicked my Analog snowboarding jacket though and is denying all knowledge!

iwluap

Can’t praise Finisterre clobber enough. Not got as much as Surf Mat but have Eddy merino base layers, which I haven’t found an equal of yet, a couple of tees and to top it all a Storm Track jacket which is just about the best jacket ever – expensivo but I reckon I will get many years out of it. Used it snowboarding in the Alps, walking in the Highlands and general wear. It is ace. Currently waiting on an Etobicoke for a winter jacket to replace a well used and loved Mountain Equipment jacket.

One the Howies theme, I’ve found their range a bit disappointing the past few years for my tastes, but the bits I have got are great and I will certainly be following their advice to “wear stuff out”!

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

carharrt shirts and jeans are superb

Markie
    Free Member

Patagonia. Good quality and environmentally sound since the start.

corroded
    Free Member

If it’s just Ts and tops you want, I’ve recently discovered Rapanui – green clothing that looks good and is made (mostly) on the Isle of Wight: http://www.rapanuiclothing.com/

Otherwise, Finisterre and Patagonia are the genuine article.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Aternatives to Howies and the like?’ is closed to new replies.