Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • At what point……
  • RustySpanner

spchantler – Member

anyone who discriminates a person because of their skin colour, gender, race, religion, age, wealth or any thing else is living in the dark ages. where does it stop? don’t like people from africa? spain? the french? londoners? the next county? the next town? next door? yourself? jesus, give us all a break

Just Londoners and Jesus out of that lot, but it’s not a very comprehensive list is it?

What about people who don’t punctuate? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Would it therefore be racist to say that many non-asian families prefer not to look after their elderly, but prefer to rely on others or abandon them to state care?

Noit would be fine because it would be true

one of my mates families fell out because of who did not get the elderly mother to live with them as they all wanted to do it.

However , given the figures on offending, its not true to say that Islamic attitudes towards women contribute to rape and grooming any more than saying loaded magazine means our attitude to women leads to rape. Both cultures have individuals from it who do this but neither culture condones it or views it as anything other than a crime.

spchantler
    Free Member

god, yes, i forgot about them. and poor orthagraphists.

bearnecessities

This has been a bad day for the stw forum.

RustySpanner

bearnecessities – Member

This has been a bad day for the stw forum.

Please, just please point out anything I’ve written or alluded to which demonstrates or indicates any form of prejudice whatsoever, or is factually incorrect.

We’re trying to have a debate about a difficult and sensitive subject.

I’m not a racist, and I’ve met Junky and Binners on several occaisions and I’d can bloody well guarantee that they aren’t either.

If you’d like to contribute and get involved, please do so – if not, fine, but justify your comments if you don’t mind.

In case you missed it, my argument was that the more sexism is condoned and tolerated, the more likely the occcurance of sexual crimes against the more vulnerable sex.

Thanks.

bullheart
    Free Member

I’m with the guy up there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IanW
    Free Member

Credit to you for posting this one, not often we have been like minded but I read this story just after reading about the sentencing of another similar group and thought this isn’t coincidence.

IMO it is cultural, people employed to protect vulnerable people have been weak and cowed by the usual brigade and this problem has escalated when it normally would have been stopped early.

Lots of losers, the children obviously, but also communities that are tarnished because people who would otherwise be stopped have been left to get on with this criminality and that effects the majority of law abiders.

Before moving south I lived in Tempest Road Leeds for quite a few years and was told by a long serving copper they were told to “overlook” indiscretions from certain communities in fear of reprisals and accusations.

Looks like not much has changed.

bearnecessities

RS, that comment was not in any way aimed at you, or one individual, or any views expressed.

This has just been an argumentative, thread closing, contentious and generally unpleasant day. It started so well witth the humorous South African thread continuation, but there has been a distinct and clear vein of aggression and trolling since.

RustySpanner

bearnecessities – Member

RS, that comment was not in any way aimed at you, or one individual, or any views expressed.

This has just been an argumentative, thread closing, contentious and generally unpleasant day. It started so wekk with the humorous South African thread continuation, but there has been a distinct and clear vein of aggression and trolling since.

Thanks for that.

Yes, it’s been an odd one – too much cabin fever, I think.

I don’t know what to make of the SA thread. Either a troll or someone in a very bad place. The former I suspect.
    Anyway, it was getting a bit too nasty and I’m glad it was pulled.

Haven’t really been involved in the other stuff, but I get the impression most of it could be solved by a crackdown on second log-ins and some manners.
    There’s a lot of anonymous cowards on here who just like to crap in the pool and run away.

I just do bad puns and debates.

CountZero

If the Taliban had their way then women wouldn’t be allowed an education among many other limitations they impose on women

As a teenage schoolgirl from Pakistan can attest. A bullet in the head is a good incentive to stay at home and remain ignorant.

ransos
    Free Member

Suggesting that the attitude of many Muslim men towards women is unhealthy, to say the least, is not racism! It’s an honest observation! And that a level of equality is what is expected in a democratic society. thats ok if you can speculatively quote the Koran?

Quoting religious texts wouldn’t reflect well on any of the major religions, I suspect. Leviticus, anyone?

brooess
    Free Member

Back to the OP I think we need to take care with taking a few recent media stories and treating it as empirical evidence. We all know that the media choose which stories to publish, and how prominent they make them…
    True, a few of the most shocking recent stories seem to have involved Asian men but it’s not like the Asian’s have a monopoly on organised abuse of the vulnerable is it?
    Jimmy Saville, Catholic priests anyone?
    I think looking at it through a cultural/religious lens is unhelpful and probably misleading. At the end of the day abusive behaviour by ANYONE is the problem…

RustySpanner

Quoting religious texts wouldn’t reflect well on any of the major religions, I suspect. Leviticus, anyone?

Very good point.

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘At what point……’ is closed to new replies.