Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ashton Court – unsafe to ride on your own?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

I live in Bristol and have ridden loads of solo rides but every so often you hear about things happening in Ashton Court/Leigh Woods.

Mostly these are based around large groups trying to stop riders etc. Over the years I have heard about a few people getting mugged etc and in some cases things have gone a little further and the rider had been assaulted as well as robbed of their bike.

Having such a great resource so close to the city is obviously a benefit but this is really starting to become a major drawback of riding there. I read this just now the below comments on another forum which makes me nervous about riding there as I really don’t want to lose my bike!

I thought I’d write about a strange thing that happened to me today in Ashton Court. I was riding up from the gatehouse, anticlockwise, and was just heading up that little techy climb bit, when I noticed about 4 blokes just stood there, blocking the trail. “Alright mate, how much did yer bike cost?” one shouted. I pretty much ignored this and tried to get past, but they were clearly being dicks and trying to block me. “Got any bikes for sale?” another said. I guess I had alarm bells, because I just pushed through them. To my surprise they shouted “Oi come ‘ere a minute” and started coming after me on their shitty BMX’s. I thought to myself “ok if you reckon you can keep up with me” and headed off. I lost them in a matter of seconds.

All was going well, until about an hour later or so when I was heading down that little DH run that cuts through zigzag climb. I was sat there, having a drink when I heard “alright again mate!” and saw them again heading up the run! One said something like “get his bike” to another, and I took that as my cue to head down the run towards the house.

Thinking about it later, I realised that riding alone in Leigh Woods, 50 acre, Ashton Court etc. can lead to potential problems – I guess I never expected to encounter this kind of idiot out on the trails. I think we should try to ride in pairs or groups as much as possible because you just don’t know what dicks are out there looking for trouble. Has anyone else had a similar encounter?

Not everyone will be so lucky but what are the alternatives? I can’t always find someone to ride so should you just not bother?

boxfish
    Free Member

Carry a large spanner (for trailside maintenance)

Seriously though, over the years I’ve ridden all these trails solo many times (at night & during the day). I’ve only heard of a couple of incidents over the last few years and these have involved the car park areas in Leigh Woods (I guess the thieves are generally looking to drive stolen bikes away, rather than ride them).

That said, if in doubt, turn around and pedal like ****.

flatfish
    Free Member

When did this happen?

andy_hamgreen

as I’ve said before the only solution to the Bristol bike problem is Judge Dredd style justice with the perpetrators then hung on the suspension bridge (who are also robbers – but that’s another story) for all to see…

Special_ized_Jamie

Flatfish: Friday 22nd April

With the redevelopment of AC round the corner I hope its something the authorities want to get sorted but I won’t be holding my breath on that one!

project
    Free Member

Blame tesco, Most of the bristol natives do, it appears.

boxfish
    Free Member

You’re a lot more likely to get mugged for your bike in Henbury/Blaise, or on the Bristol-Bath cycle path than in Leigh Woods.

Special_ized_Jamie

There are lot of places you are more likely to get mugged but its pretty sh*t that you have to think about this type of thing before hitting the trails. Especially when they such great condition!

andy_hamgreen

i’ve had a couple of incidents over the years on the bike path near Pill – but luckily my kids have grown up now and so I feel a lot safer with Lunk & Lurch – it’d have to be a big posse to stop us now 🙂
    never seen anything in Ashton Court/Leigh Woods or 50 Acre over the years but last few days have been hot enough to bring the pikeys out…

boxfish
    Free Member

Yup, it’s shit all right. Question is, do you let it stop you riding?
    The chances of being mugged are miniscule. Don’t believe any keyboard warriors either. If you sense danger, turn tail and get out of the situation. Ultimately, it’s only a bike and it can be replaced. Put up a fight and you may lose more than an expensive piece of metal/plastic/etc.

TooTall
    Free Member

Never heard of such a thing over there.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Still Wood used to be the favoured attempted mugging venue – I’ve heard a few stories of people having trouble over there. I used to ride all over Bristol trails solo and never had any bother – chances are pretty low. Good of SJ to raise the subject though, so people know there are dodgy scrotes around!

Taz

Ride solo there all the time and as of yet had no incidents. That said I am generally there very early.

Heard of more incidents at Blaise

The issue of having such a good venue close to a city centre is that it is also close for scrotes.

njee20
    Free Member

I went to uni in Bristol, in the first year I lived right by what is now Cabot Circus, I used to regularly train on the Bristol-Bath path at 9-10 at night, in the dark, and do solo night rides up around Ashton Court and places. I can’t help but think I was reasonably lucky never to have any trouble!

clubber
    Free Member

Iirc there was something similar years back but in 15 or so years of riding in Bristol that’s not really bad going. I don’t see it bring a major problem just something to be mindful of. I’ll still be going out on my own.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

There was that incident a few years back where that chap was mugged for his bike in the uni halls of residence after being followed back from the woods, other than that I haven’t heard of anything.

I pretty much always ride on my own and would never be put off by things like this.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ashton Court – unsafe to ride on your own?’ is closed to new replies.