Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SS-ing my Road bike – What ratio?
  • cookeaa

Considering converting my current commuting Road bike to SS as a trial over summer to see how I get on with it, just a simple conversion using a tensioner…

It’s used exclusively for my commute which is a mixed 20 mile (40 round trip) with bit of flat and some moderate climbing for which I presently use most of the available gearing range (2×9 – 52/39 – 12-25)

What is a good starting point?

I’d be getting new Chain/Ring/Sprocket to do this as the current Chain/Rings/Cassette will need replacing soon anyway…

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I run 42/16 on mine and that seems to do me okay, do spin out a bit when I am going down hill occasionally but on the flip I am able to pedal uphill without any hassle, and being in South Wales i prefer that balance myself, allows me to have a breather when I am doing so, (only 8.5 miles each way) I have found it is easier without gears as I only have to think about pedalling. I do have a 44 and a 46 so i might try them out over the summer, when it is dry and I feel fitter.

cp

depends on how fit & strong you are and what endurance you have.

If you’re weaker/less fit/low endurance I’d go for something like 42:16 or 18.

I ride a 48:16 in Sheffield, but only when training, not commuting – the ratio is too high for casually getting up hills. I also avoid steep hills with it, changing routes for something with more gentle inclines.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

cp – Member
    depends on how fit & strong you are and what endurance you have.

If you’re weaker/less fit/low endurance I’d go for something like 42:16

I resemble that remark!!!! Nah, as i said i choose that ratio as I do have a few steep(ish) hills to negotiate, and it gives for me the best balance.

cp

it’s also worth mentioning you’ll prob have to spend some time playing with ratios once you’re set up.

cookeaa

Hmmm, My fitness is at a low point at the minute 42:18 might be my starting point there’s a few climbs that are can be hard work, maybe start there with a 16t sprocket on standby in case I start feeling all manly, it’s got to be usable on a daily basis not just when I’m feeling up to it…

It’s more of a scoping exercise, I’m fancying a proper low maintenance SS road/CX machine for my commute eventually (a Pompetamine tickles my fancy this week) but I think it’s worth seeing how well I actually manage with just one gear on the current bike first, rather than simply leaping in with both feet…

Thanks for the responses…

Bez

42:16 is the normal starting point.

Works for me. Spins out on long shallow descents and is rather chewy on the steepest climbs, but that’s inevitable.

mattk
    Free Member

I run 52:20, not sure how thats compares to people running 42 teeth rings.

It’s ideal for my commute, few moderate hills but mainly flat for 12 miles each way. does get a bit tough if there’s a head wind though.

when i first went ss i ran 52:16, i very nearly blew my knees up just getting to work. Infact i was dreading the return commute so much i got my wife to pick me up.

ourmaninthenorth

42×16 is 69 inches. Seems like a good starting point.

44×16 is 72 inches. That’s what I used to run fixed on the road, but climbs of any length were tough and out of the saddle efforts.

52×20 is 68 inches

52 x 16 is 85 inches – a track sized gear..! (I have 48×15 on my track bike – 84 inches)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

48-20 here, feels too low, but looks cool with the dinner plate front ring.

flashes
    Free Member

I use 40 X 16, spins a bit downhill but goes up some interesting hills OK. (Bristol)

Oops I’ve now read the question properly. This is on My Surly 1X1.

My fixed road bikes are 50 X 18 and 50 X 17 (too high)

ericemel
    Free Member

I am doing 30 miles a day, 44:15 – other than the hill to Wimbledon village it’s quite flat.

I’d suggest 42:16 as a starting point.

crazy-legs

48:17 for me on my SS road bike. Works fine for gradients up to about 10% but I’m one of those weirdos who a) likes climbing and b) is fairly good at it.

I’d go with 44:17 for starters then maybe put a 16T on it if/when you feel up to it.

I run my track bike with 47:14 (90″) which is a bit of a weird way of getting a 90″ gear but works for me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SS-ing my Road bike – What ratio?’ is closed to new replies.