Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Asbestos removal
  • PMK2060

We have a tin garage which we need to get rid of. The roof contains asbestos which means I do not want to attempt this myself.

I have no idea how much this is going to cost and was wondering if any of you have had similar work done and if so, what did this cost you?

Also any recommendations for a asbestos removal company in Barnsley/Rotherham would be appreciated.

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a14.pdf

Wear a mask, wet it and double bag and tape it you’ll save yourself a mountain of money.
    Call the council for the location of the nearest tip that will take it.
    Edit: just try not to break the sheets as the asbestos gets released.

Spud

It’s an easy job if you follow the guidance that Iolo has pointed to. If you speak to you local authority they can probably point you to either their own skips or a good waste company’s. PPE, care and wet it and you’ll be fine. Else, it’s been 13 years since I used to project manage asbestos removal, but the Asbestos Removal Contractor’s Association (ARCA) website will be able to point you to the registered firms in your area. I’d not name any given the time it is since I worked with the firms but there are a number across Yorks that would be good.

Pigface
    Free Member

Iolo is on the money

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/em6.pdf

Just to give you an idea of PPE. Speak to your local tool hire place and tell them what you’re doing. They can supply what you need. Don’t scrimp on this.

Spud

Spec for PPE is fairly straightforward, Tyvek suit, FP3 respirator (disposable) and gloves.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Meh.. just hold your breath as you cut it into small bits with a grinder

bruneep

just remember to dispose of this as well, dont be tempted to keep it as it “looks okay”

Spud

I’ve had a look on ARCA and I’m not familiar with those listed. Sod it, two that I worked with are Rhodar and J Alderson. Both Leeds based, given it’s a domestic garage you might find costs are expensive.

ChrisE
    Free Member

remember your sheet prob only contain 1 or 2% asbestos

rememeber the only hazard is airborne asbestos

we did ours. wet, wet, wet is the rule (so no dust). no drilling, no sawing. Try to cut the bolts and take the sheets off whole. Wrap them in polythene (£25 a roll from builders merchant). Use hosepipe to soak the roof. Even better do it while it is raining. Wear a mask.

We actually broke ours up into pieces 2′ square, which is not ideal (breaking it) but did what we wanted and put it in double bin liners.

Most councils have a tip that takes it at a household recycle centre, free of charge to the public.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlSvisThOLg[/video]

remember there is probbaly as much risk involved in falling off the roof!

C

PMK2060

Thanks for the advice everybody. I think I will do this myself to save cash.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

In addition to the above carry out the work when the sheets are damp. Use bolt croppers to remove the old bolts.

Macavity
    Free Member
    Sandwich

Any cracked pieces can be treated with pva to secure the open edges/fibres. (Spray on and let it dry).

spud-face

At the risk of hijacking a little, I’ve got some asbestos drainpipes ( 🙄 ) that I want to get shot of, has anyone any tips on getting the things out of the ground? Presumably I just break up the concrete ( 🙄 ) it goes into, but how are these things connected to the soil pipe? I’m wary of my ham fisted stupidity making thud job more dangerous (and eventually expensive) than it really needs to be.

iolo
    Free Member

Do you need to replace them? If not cut them flush with the ground, and make good.
    If you do, where do they drain to? To a manhole or soakaway? If to a manhole you need to dig down in the concrete, find the pipe and connect either the downpipes or gully to the existing pipe using a bandseal, a few collars, but of pipe and a few bends. If it’s to a soakaway just dig down to expose it, stick your downpipe in and make good.

dbcooper
    Free Member

We have a low grade asbestos roof, about to get it replaced, the roofers will all be dressed in PPE, but what about us in the house?

MoreCashThanDash

Close the windows and doors and keep out the way.

iolo
    Free Member

Is there felt under the asbestos roof?
    There needs to be some kind of dust barrier.
    If no felt and there’s a possibility that fibers could enter the house some kind of sheeting should be placed. Usually thick polythene.
    You and your family should keep well away from the internal roof area while works are being carried out.
    You’ll be fine.

nickgti
    Free Member

I’d do it yourself just take the advice above.

we had a quote to remove around 22 sheets of asbestos and it was over £500

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Asbestos removal’ is closed to new replies.