Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Art lovin' Londonists
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got some work in this show towards the end of the month.

http://www.panterandhall.com/On-A-Grand-Scale-2013-Gallery.aspx

thepurist

Apropos nothing McMoonter, what’s the done thing when buying art from an artist direct? I’ve just bought a watercolour for MrsP’s birthday & didn’t haggle – should I have had a go?

Stoner
    Free Member

I go past Panter & Hall most days I’m in town, I shall put my nose in and shill your daub for you P 🙂

For a tenner I’ll vandalise the oppo too if you like!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

what’s the done thing when buying art from an artist direct?

We’ve got to make a living too.

Generally folks know what they’d have to pay for a given work in the gallery. Bearing in mind the gallery’s commission will be 50% there is a bit of leeway between what the artist would receive from a gallery sale v a private sale. Our overheads are less obviously. I’d say somewhere around 2/3 of the gallery price would be reasonable.

I go past Panter & Hall most days I’m in town

Stoner, this show is on in a new space on Pall Mall not in St James’s.

thepurist

Cheers – he gave me prices for a selection of paintings, I picked one & paid the quoted price. Not a clue what a gallery price would’ve been & I’ve left it a bit late to start haggling, so guess he can afford a new brush or 2 now 😉

maccruiskeen

what’s the done thing when buying art from an artist direct?

Although galleries and dealers have their margin artists shouldn’t be too keen to be haggled down on direct sales. A decent dealer puts quite a bit of time money and effort in supporting their artists so if they find out artists are doing deals behind their backs they’ll just drop them. So its not a good idea to encourage people into a deal on one work that’ll lose them a bunch of other sales. Smart artists pay their gallery even for sales that come to them direct.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I really like your still lifes and coastal landscapes 🙂

CountZero

Nice work, mcm! Not to my taste, I’m not too keen on still-life works, but I like your style and use of colour, that would truly brighten up a drab room! 😀

mogrim

Surely this thread should be in Classifieds?

🙂

(More usefully, you should have a word with the gallery about this page, dodgy rewriting of your CV and no paintings shown when you click on the link…)

leffeboy

Yep – get those guys linkin to yer site

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice going! 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheers folks, I emailed the gallery to get pics linked to their site, and a plea to add my site too. Handy stuff.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Another shameless plug. I’ve just sent a group of paintings down to the smoke for the London Art Fair. If you go you can check them out at Duncan R Miller Fine Art, Panter & Hall and the Thompson’s Gallery.

http://www.londonartfair.co.uk/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Art lovin' Londonists’ is closed to new replies.