Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Arrival – Sci Fi movie
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Requires an attention span longer than five minutes between expolosions…

nickc

I think we may be talking at cross purposes, hey ho

Drac

Don’t worry you’ll work it out at the end. 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

Made by the same guy who is directing the new Bladerunner

nickc

I already did 😆

Drac

Damn how did you do that?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Rone sed > Clever use of a narrative to trick the viewer into how they thought the timeline would pan out.

Avoiding spoilers:- the short story by Ted Chiang is written from a very specific narrative pov, the film follows the order of the short story but it doesn’t work because the story is no longer being told to the same intended audience. The clue is in the title, the short story being named “Story of your life”, the film being renamed “OMG Aliens!”.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I’d really like there to be a properly clever sci fi movie.
    (edit, I’m aware of Stalker / Solaris / Hard to be a God etc)

rone

It’s when she started dreaming was one big clue, not sure how far in that was though.

*SPOILER AHEAD*

Ah well then she starts ‘dreaming’ – (being able to see into the future) some way in at the same point she starts to understand the language. That’s not nearly the beginning.

Funny I had a row with my GF on the way home who “figured it out” from the ‘beginning’ when I pointed out it was nearly 2/3s the way through.

I still lost the argument though 🙂

Drac

True but I said pretty much straight away, I couldn’t recall exactly when as I was bored after I sussed it.

It wasn’t for me that was all and I didn’t fall for the tricks to try and move you away I spotted what they were doing.

rone

True but I said pretty much straight away, I couldn’t recall exactly when as I was bored after I sussed it.

It wasn’t for me that was all and I didn’t fall for the tricks to try and move you away I spotted what they were doing.

*SPOILER*

Fair enough. It’s clear some folk did spot it coming even if it’s against the narrative flow of the shots earlier in the film that make it look like her daughter was already dead.

jimdubleyou

Funny I had a row with my GF on the way home who “figured it out” from the ‘beginning’ when I pointed out it was nearly 2/3s the way through.

I figured it out sometime in 2025, and also 1975.

Drac

To be clear. I’m not Rone’s girlfriend.

jimdubleyou

To be clear. I’m not Rone’s girlfriend.

Yet.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well Sky have just put it up for pre-order so shouldn’t be long before it’s on TV.

Drac

Yet

No spoilers.

akira

Thought Hawkeye would be more use to be honest.

iffoverload
    Free Member

I thought the sequel was much better.

traildog
    Free Member

You mean you figured out where it was possibly going, and it so happened that’s where it did. The dreaming was well into the film, maybe mid way though. I think a lot of people came up with the idea that it was something about time but trying to “work it out” is not really the point of the film. For me, the film is asking the viewer the question, if you know the outcome – would you change anything.

Most films are pretty obvious where they are heading, it’s more about the journey. I found Arrival beautifully shot, nicely paced and with a beautiful soundtrack and really enjoyed it. Obviously you didn’t which is a shame for you, but I do feel you sort of missed the whole point.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is it out on iTunes/DVD as yet? I’ve been waiting ages but still no sign.

P-Jay
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

Is it out on iTunes/DVD as yet? I’ve been waiting ages but still no sign.

Digital release is 6th March. I’ll probably give it another whirl if it’s on rental.

geetee1972
    Free Member

So how did the OP see it recently?

selaciosa
    Free Member

I actually loved it – made me quite emotional at the end… I have been delicate of late though*!

As someone who in my own personal life struggles with the uncertainty of my future it did make me think a lot about the concept of knowing what was going to happen and still going through very difficult times in order to experience the good.

*I don’t think the hangover helped either

jimdubleyou

So how did the OP see it recently?

Still showing in theaters or (shuuush) Kodi 8) .

rone

To be clear. I’m not Rone’s girlfriend

🙂

Will you fit a medium Czar and Flux if so you could be in?

rone

This thread is why it’s an interesting film as we’re still talking about it. In my opinion.

The same can’t be said about John **** 2.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

The problem I think with both is that I seen pretty much straight away what was going on, I don’t know how people didn’t, I maybe I don’t get fooled by the way they try to lead you away. Maybe it’s the way my brain works that I can see the clues too easily. I then sit though hours of watching it all play out as I expected but with no entertainment as I’ve got nothing to make my brain work.
    I was gonna watch it but I knew Drac was going to watch it. My brain works that way. I also could tell from the clues my brain got, he wouldn’t like and therefore it would be boring and have no entertainment value. Cus as you all know, they always include all the give always and clues to the end in the plot and If you are clever and your brain works that way, you’d figure it out too.

jekkyl

I just saw this and liked it. I found it haunting, especially with the music, like ‘The Thin Red Line’ & touched with melancholy.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Arrival – Sci Fi movie’ is closed to new replies.