Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Arrival – Sci Fi movie
  • PMK2060

How the hell did this film win awards and get such good ratings. One of the slowest, dullest film I have ever watched. 2 hours of my life that I won’t get back. Psa – ignore the self indulgent critics and give it a miss.

Drac
    seosamh77
    Free Member

thought it was alright.

iffoverload
    Free Member

I liked it, not an action movie for sure. but the language/thought process angle was interesting.

jimdubleyou

I thought it was a fascinating premise and a poignant film.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Not enough of this in it for you?
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk[/video]

Drac

No not that for me, it dragged on gave too much away of what the ending would be then seemed rushed toward the end with an almost. “Yeah that’ll do and they all lived happy ever after.”

trauty
    Free Member

film is original and i like the fact it force a viewer to actually use brain.

RustyNissanPrairie

Watched it tonight, liked it – more thought provoking than Convoy but not as many cool American trucks so therefore 7 out of 10 vs Convoys 9 out of 10.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yeah that’ll do and they all lived happy ever after.”

Except they didn’t. Did you actually watch it, or turn it off halfway through because there weren’t enough colonial marines in it?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Was really looking forward to this. Hoping it was gonna be another Interstellar… but no.

Drac

Hoping it was gonna be another Interstellar… but no.

No it wasn’t that bad.

Except they didn’t. Did you actually watch it, or turn it off halfway through because there weren’t enough colonial marines in it?

I was poorly giving an example of how it closed badly rather than the actually ending.

zilog6128

yeah, I think he watched a different movie to everyone else!

I thought it was excellent FWIW.

jambourgie
    Free Member

No it wasn’t that bad.

What?

WHAT!?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Put yer deaf aid in luv…he said “IT.. WAS’NT.. THAT.. BAD”.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Haven’t seen it yet, but I will. 2 people I know have seen it & said it was good, so I’ll make my own mind up.
    Thanks for the heads up though.

Drac

The problem I think with both is that I seen pretty much straight away what was going on, I don’t know how people didn’t, I maybe I don’t get fooled by the way they try to lead you away. Maybe it’s the way my brain works that I can see the clues too easily. I then sit though hours of watching it all play out as I expected but with no entertainment as I’ve got nothing to make my brain work.

lazybike
    Free Member

The problem I think with both is that I seen pretty much straight away what was going on, I don’t know how people didn’t, I maybe I don’t get fooled by the way they try to lead you away. Maybe it’s the way my brain works that I can see the clues too easily. I then sit though hours of watching it all play out as I expected but with no entertainment as I’ve got nothing to make my brain work.

Sucks to be you..

muggomagic

Now I’m wondering if Drac has the same “weapon” as Louise?

Drac

😀

PMK2060

Last night may have been the wrong time for me to watch it as I was still nursing an hangover.

I was not expecting an action film and avoid moves such as Independence Day but I found Arrival slow.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I really wanted to like this thread but ultimately found it extremely predictable. I could tell what the outcome would be be before I read it.

Needs more explosions and a plot twist, deeply boring, sad.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I loved it, well certainly the concept. My gripe was the acting, it was a bit wooden.

I’m waiting for it to come on Sky Movies, been searching for ages for it but sadly it’s yet to appear.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I fell into a blissful sleep in the cinema, not waking until during the third quarter where I involuntarily snored/snorted loudly. Much laughter.

Can’t remember much about it (the film) at all but it seemed OK in a slow, dark way.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I watched The Secret Life of Pets during a 17-hour flight yesterday. I fell asleep almost immediately and woke up very confused as the film was finishing, so that’s another one not to bother with.

Trimix
    Free Member

I thought it was a very good film. On I would watch again.

Anyway – don’t ask others, all you will get is there opinion. You need to go yourself and then form your own opinion.

iffoverload
    Free Member

you probably won’t like Mr.Nobody either 🙂

traildog
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it.. I found the pacing just right. I worked out most of the plot twists through the movie but that just helped draw me in. I found the whole thing extremely thought provoking and loved the soundtrack. The Max Richter track used is extremely beautiful and very cleverly chosen as it is a sort of palindrome, which fitted very well with the story telling.

yeah that’ll do and they all lived happy ever after.

Err, except that exactly is what didn’t happened. The whole point of the film is that it was asking the viewer would you make the same choices knowing where it would lead and you wouldn’t live happily every after together.

It certainly struck a chord with me and made me think about my life mistakes.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I thought it was excellent.

I really don’t know what’s to dislike about it – other than perhaps the trailer made it look more like a traditional Aliens V Humans shoot ’em up?

Drac

Err, except that exactly is what didn’t happened. The whole point of the film is that it was asking the viewer would you make the same choices knowing where it would lead and you wouldn’t live happily every after together.

I’ve answere that up there. ^^

I really don’t know what’s to dislike about it

Long drawn and dull story to get to the point that was seen at the start. Well for me at least.

I didn’t expect pew pew and explosions.

prawny

I enjoyed it, even though I was hoping for a punchy kind of film

I saw the ending coming as soon as she said to speak to her dad about science but still enjoyed watching it play out.

A bit pretentious though, I can see why a lot of people didn’t like it.

Made me want to give my kids a squeeze though. Which was nice.

richmtb

I really enjoyed.

Films like this are what good sci-fi is all about. Properly though provoking.

I’ll definitely watch it again.

nickc

“Yeah that’ll do and they all lived happy ever after.

As traildog points out, it has exactly the opposite of a happy ending. How did you get to that conclusion? 😆

Drac

As traildog points out, it has exactly the opposite of a happy ending. How did you get to that conclusion?

As I’ve pointed out I’ve already answered that.

nickc

You haven’t really, you said why you didn’t enjoy it, (fair enough, not arguing the point) I was just wondering how your take away from a film that hasn’t got a happy ending was that they all lived happily ever after!

😆

rone

I thought it was outstanding. Clever use of a narrative to trick the viewer into how they thought the timeline would pan out.

But this thread is pointless as you can’t debate whether a film is good or bad really – just what you enjoy. So why would we even try to convince each other?

Villeneuve is an awesome director. His style is to very much mess with the viewers expectations within a scene, and play for suspense.

I’m not sure how anyone could figure the ending out from the beginning as there is not the info to tell you that the narrative is being played out against your expectations. The first proper clue is about 2/3s in.

Chances are if you didn’t like this you probably prefer Transformers. 😉

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Personally I love action movies but I thought this one was great in a different way.

In most movies “alien” just means “slightly strange but basically not something you’d be surprised to see in a documentary about insects”,

This movie trys to deal with the fact that genuine aliens from a completely different culture might be (like the universe); “not just queerer than we suppose; but queerer than we can suppose” -J. B. S. Haldane.

So I thought it was a thoughtful movie with a brilliant female lead. The pacing was excellent, and even when I worked out what might be going on (suspected fairly early things wern’t necessarily in chronological order) it made me want to watch it again with a new perspective rather than think it was a dumb idea because I’d worked out “something was going on”.

P.S. It feels like it should be unnecessary to say this, but If you’re watching a movie, theres probably _something_ going on, unless its a particularly bad movie.

Drac

You haven’t really, you said why you didn’t enjoy it, (fair enough, not arguing the point) I was just wondering how your take away from a film that hasn’t got a happy ending was that they all lived happily ever after!

No, I did it’s in the thread.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/arrival-sci-fi-movie#post-8299907

I’m not sure how anyone could figure the ending out from the beginning as there is not the info to tell you that the narrative is being played out against your expectations. The first proper clue is about 2/3s in.

You’re not sure how you didn’t.

It’s when she started dreaming was one big clue, not sure how far in that was though.

prawny

P.S. It feels like it should be unnecessary to say this, but If you’re watching a movie, theres probably _something_ going on, unless its a particularly bad movie.

Apart from Lost In Translation, obvs. Which I loved as it goes.

seosamh77
    Free Member

one thing that did puzzle me though(and I might be off here, went to see it at the cinema a while back, but I remember this being my thought leaving the pictures).

if all knowing, how come we need to wait till part 2 to see this space war in 3000 year time? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Arrival – Sci Fi movie’ is closed to new replies.