Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Argos cycles – paintjobs?
  • Big-Pete
    Free Member

Any one used Argos for a respray?
    Is the standard enamel tough enough for a trail bike or should I be using the 2 pack option (with very limited colour options)

crazy-legs

They've done a couple of resprays and a frame repair job for me, excellent work. The normal paint seems plenty tough enough.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

They are very good Pete, but I think they use cheese not paint.. 😳

Not the most duarable…

goldenwonder
    Free Member

They're capable of some excellent quality work, but they don't always get it spot on. I've seen a couple of frames sprayed by them that were average at best, but others that are awesome!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Std paint chips very easily

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Cheers lads

2 pack tango then.

genesis
    Free Member

Sent mine back to Roberts Cycles for a refurb, the paint has been very durable on it. Give them a call should do any frame I would have thought.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I got my 853 Inbred done in the 2 pack Orange nearly 2 years ago now. And it's simply stunning. By FAR the toughest paint I've ever come across. I dropped a spanner on it as I was building it. Not a mark. Even now, there's hardly a mark on it, even in high wear areas. I have no doubt it'll last at least a very long time…..

This is it the day I built it up, the chainstay pics show the reprofiled chainstay I had put in at the same time, as the original snapped due to chainsuck.

IMG_7232

oldgit
    Free Member

Had my old Inbred done by Argos.
    It was OK but seemed a bit soft, and I had dull patches all over it within weeks. Also seems expensive when you add postage.

letmetalktomark

My Caldera was done by Mark @ Argos in two pack orange.

The paint has been pretty good (tough wise) but the finish is excellent. I asked for a touch up kit that they happily supplied.

My orange beast:

In fact Argos did a complete overhaul.

Original 1999 bike so canti studs removed, disc tab added, new cabling etc.

Top Chaps 8)

ART

Has my superlight re-sprayed by them a while back. Good service, but expensive and while I had the 2pack didn't seem nearly as durable as the original paint job. Would think twice before laying out so much again.

woodsman
    Free Member

I use two pack in my work, with cars, and I would say that is no where near as durable as powder coating!

I wonder if they are using a different kind of two pack!

Go powder

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

You could get a powder coat and a blast for £50 quid. Two pack will never be as hard wearing. Not sure how much Argos is for a two pack finish, I think I once asked and it was very expensive in comparison to PC. My mate who is a really good paint sprayer told me not to even think about going for a spray finish over powder coating. That was good enough for me. Feel free to come back with the mandatory – "mine has lasted a lot longer than a frame I have had powder coated" comment

speaker2animals

To my eye the Caldera and PeterPoddys Inbred both look a little flat/dull in the photos. What do the owners think of the colour. Argos have over the years always had a good, if not very good reputation for work quality. Obviously MTBs offer a bit more durability challenge than road bikes. So maybe the 2 pack is the way to go for off road. Do all the two pack colours come up dull though?

woodsman
    Free Member

I agree with two pack for raod – it is designed for cars!

On the contrary, two pack is super shiny straight from the gun, but if you cover it in abrasive mud it will soon dull right off.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Had my stiffee resprayed by them, paint isnt very durable at all, not impressed. Glag it was a warrenty job and I didnt pay for it.

saladdodger
    Free Member

PP's inbred is super shiney

Dropped in to argos last week and the cleared the threads in my BB on the spot and only wanted a couple of Quid, but I gave em a fiver

I have in the past ( last 15 years) had two of there road bikes and the workmanship was superb but the paint was a bit fragile , beautiful though

letmetalktomark

1961Bikie – Member

To my eye the Caldera and PeterPoddys Inbred both look a little flat/dull in the photos. What do the owners think of the colour. Argos have over the years always had a good, if not very good reputation for work quality. Obviously MTBs offer a bit more durability challenge than road bikes. So maybe the 2 pack is the way to go for off road. Do all the two pack colours come up dull though?

I put any dullness down to bad photography 😳

She be shiny all over 😆

hopster
    Free Member

try these guys I have seen some there work and its very good.

speaker2animals

I have to say that now looking at the pics on my iPod rather than my laptop the colours look much brighter. So obviously the display quality rather than the paint job.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Two pack will never be as hard wearing. Not sure how much Argos is for a two pack finish,

It's NOT 2 pack CAR PAINT you know…..

For a harder more chip resistant finish we now offer a hard epoxy 2 pack system to MOD standards

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Yes peter but how much does this finish cost. It will not be as hard wearing as PC epoxy or not. Epoxy paint blown on will simply not give the hard fisnish that a pc process will. It will also cost a lot more money for something not as good IMO. I have had various Motorcross and Enduro bike frames sprayed with all sorts of so called hard wearing paints. A few places even told me they did not want to spray the frames due to them knowing it would probably not last long. They thought no doubt that its better to turn work away than have someone saying the paint was falling off after a few blast round a wood or MX track. None of the spray finishes have lasted as long as powder coating. MX bike frames are a real test of durability too. It just seems a waste of money paying out shed loads more for a finish that will not wear as good.

Not to say your Tango 853 frame does not look nice. I'm just trying to point out its not as good value IMO

woodsman
    Free Member

I did my 'coil revs' silver two pack to match my powdered frame, as you can see I've 'chopper taped' the vulnerable bits – still look ok but some chips. As far as the MOD standards Two Pack – I can't see it being any harder, I would suspect it is more to do with the etch priming process, as most MOD stuf is Aluminium (requires more heavy duty etching before colour coats).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes peter but how much does this finish cost. It will not be as hard wearing as PC epoxy or not. Epoxy paint blown on will simply not give the hard fisnish that a pc process will.

£120 for the paint + transfers. Expensive, yes, but worth it.

I'll tell you now, for a cast iron fact, that my Argos paint is tougher than either of the 2 frames I've had powdercoated. Waaaaaay tougher. And smoother, and a bit shinier. It's hardly dulled at all since I had it done, and there seriously is hardly a mark on it. I can see no reason why it won't last 5,6,7,8 or more years. And this is my main bike, gets ridden all year round and not treated with kid gloves. (I'll see if I get chance to do some more current pics sometime)
    Do a job once.
    Do it properly.
    🙂

slowjo
    Free Member

They did my Superlight as a warranty job. Compared to the SC paint it is as tough as old boots. (The original paint rubbed off on my legs, leaving my calves with silver smears down them.)

I asked and paid for some extras such as lacquering the decals so they didn't peel off. They didn't do any of it but by the time I got the frame back I couldn't be bothered to pack it all up, post it back etc etc.

I went for the tough option as recommended when they heard it was for a mountain bike. After maybe 3 years it has plenty of dull spots, it doesn't clean up very well and is basically dull but…. the paint has stayed on, it isn't chipped and apart from one or two small "high wear" areas it has done its job.

Functionally then it is fine, aesthetically it is a little less successful. Me…. I'd o for functionality every time.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I will save my self 70 quid and get my PC anyhow. There must be a reason why All motor bike frames are PC. Its more hard wearing!

edit PP I'm sure you know of a few obscure Motor cylce frames which have been two packed from the factory though. Feel free to list them LOL

backhander
    Free Member

hopster – Member
    try these guys I have seen some there work and its very good.

+ 1. They PCd my intense 5.5 and did a very good job for ~£50.

Farticus

They did my 5 Spot – nice, but a bit chiptastic. Also managed to create a burr inside the seat tube which has scratched by seatpost very badly.

Would go somewhere more local next time.

JPcapel
    Free Member

I used Argos to spray a set of pikes.
    Looked fantastic upon collection, wear was v.poor, speaking to others it sounds like Argos are best for road frames where your not scratching past the undergrowth while riding through mud!

I recently used Windridge down on the SE Coast – they do powder coating – very good price £89 for hardtail frame and an 8.5 out of ten finish – but proving to be hard wearing – would recommend them more.
    Friend has had 5spot done by them with similar results, paint job isn't Aston Martin type finish, but is reasonable and good keen price.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Argos cycles – paintjobs?’ is closed to new replies.