Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Argh! Blood boiling!
  • DezB
    Free Member

Just got a text from my 14 year old:
    “When I was riding home today an old man stopped on the side of the road, stuck his head out the window and said “get off the pavement, you are breaking the law” 😆 I thought he was such a nosey weirdo. It’s happened before…”

What is wrong with people?! This old **** is in his car, not trying to use the pavement but has a go at a kid, in school uniform riding his bike?!
    Kid said he wanted to say “go on arrest me” but he’s too polite.
    “What and share the road with idiots like you?” is the correct answer obviously.
    Some people just need their noses broken! *Seethe*

bearnecessities

an old man

He was probably 32.

tenfoot

As your son wasn’t on the road the idiot driver felt cheated as he wasn’t able to sit up your son’s chuff, and execute a punishment pass.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Klunk
    Free Member

this what you tell the old bill 😉

When I was riding home today an old man stopped on the side of the road, stuck his head out the window and said “get off the pavement, you are breaking the lawDo you want to come and see some puppies ?”

Jamie
    Free Member

He was probably 32.

I’m 37, and I would do it again.

p.s They were kittens.

riddoch

Technically he was correct, it is illegal to cycle on the pavement 🙂

natrix
    Free Member

it is illegal to cycle on the pavement

The official line from the Department for Transport (DfT) is that cyclists may ride on the footway – more commonly referred to as pavements – provided they do so considerately, and that police officers need to exercise discretion.

http://road.cc/content/news/108119-transport-minister-responsible-cyclists-can-ride-pavement

dashed
    Free Member

I was probably about the same age when a copper in a marked car pulled over and gave me a bollocking for riding on the path. Demanded to know “what my parents would say if he took me home and told them” 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

The official line from the Department for Transport (DfT) is that cyclists may ride on the footway – more commonly referred to as pavements – provided they do so considerately, and that police officers need to exercise discretion.

I’ll get him to quote that next time! And it’s f-all to do with old bastards like you!
    I did suggest we’d report him as a “puppy viewing offerer” but no reg plate was obtained.

DezB
    Free Member

Demanded to know “what my parents would say if he took me home and told them”

I think my boy knows exactly what the answer to this would be!

fisha
    Free Member

As plod myself, I’ve personally watched an old miserable git stop a young primary school lad riding on an empty 5m wide pavement and tell him to ride on the road. In fear the boy then started riding on the road into the opposing traffic lane as that was the nearest bit of road. The boy was bricking it in fear.

Like the op, boils my blood.

I stopped the lad and told him to get back on the pavement and that it was ok. He was just about in tears of relief.

Went on to the old man, pointed out the lad riding back on the pavement and said I told him to do it. A somewhat frank chat ensued which probably left him seething.

I left smiling.

If it’s appropriate and safer for a child to ride on a pavement in a sensible manner then that’s all good in my books.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks fisha.
    So I’d be in my rights to smack the old git in the face. Jolly good 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

If it’s appropriate and safer for a child to ride on a pavement in a sensible manner then that’s all good in my books.

Yep and I would encourage them to do it (with a bit of consideration) and be happy to move to let them past. No place in hell hot enough for this git!

sirromj

That’s interesting. I regularly ride on the pavement along busy roads, especially if I’m having a easy-commute-day and riding up hill at 5mph.

As long as cyclists remember there’s no law mandating predictable behaviour by pedestrians while walking on pavements and take caution when passing them there’s no problems.

fisha
    Free Member

Dezb :

perchypanther
    Free Member

“What and share the road with idiots like you?” is the correct answer obviously.

I’d have gone for “I’m only 14! ……..I’m too young to pay Road Tax”.

project
    Free Member

Just perhaps the older gentleman was trying to enforce his version of the law like some on here try do frequently, also the footway may well have been a shared use path in which case the older gentleman may well be in the wrong.

As a parent if you find the roads to dangerous for your children to cycle on, what are you doing about it, organising petitions, phoning police and local councillors about your concerns, and copying in the local media, and council cycling officer.

Then there is also the reason of you that should be asked if you believe the roads are dangerous and you tell your son to use the footway, that may not be shared use,why is he out cycling on his own, obviously untrained and supervised.

Roads as an entity are not usuually dangerous, its other road users who make roads dangerous, and perghaps your anger should be aimed at those people who fail to use the roads and footways with respect for other users safety.

spennyy
    Free Member

In the risk of thowing this OT ….No one pays road tax

DezB
    Free Member

As a parent if you find the roads to dangerous for your children to cycle on, what are you doing about it

Telling him to ride on the pavement. He’s been doing it for 3 years without injuring himself or anyone else and that’s good enough for me.
    Making the roads safer? – do me a favour, comedian.

why is he out cycling on his own, obviously untrained and supervised.

You’re either a pillock or trying to be one. I rode the route with him a few times when he started at the school and decided the best way to go. Trained.

project
    Free Member

Perhaps enrol him on a bikeability course, invest in some hi viz and get him used to traffic, one day he will want a car, and we all know cars drive on the road, cycling on the road is a great way of learning road skills.

There are many groups dedicated to road safety, Brake, CTC, Sustrans, The AA, the RAC foundation etc, perhaps voice your concerns to them, not to cyclists who legally ride on the roads every day.

jekkyl

It’s more fun riding on the path anyway, you can bunny hop off dropped kerbs and buzz young mums with prams & Play chicken with old people shouting ‘out of the way grandad’ as you approach.

johndoh
    Free Member

Project is clearly having a bad day. No pudding today Project?

zippykona

How would that pan out for footpaths? (The yellow arrow type)

slowoldman

I don’t think it does zippykona, in that “footways” next to a “carriageway” form part of the “highway”. “Footpaths” are not part of a highway.

It’s a shame these rules regarding bikes, footways, zebra crossings etc. aren’t more widely publicised. I’m sure a lot of the anger is down to ignorance.

iainc

Highway Code :

Rule 64
    You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A sect 129

and from Cycling UK :

Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 made it a criminal offence to “lead or drive” a “carriage of any description” on “any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers”. In 1888, s85(1) of the Local Government Act declared that “bicycles, tricycles, velocipedes, and other similar machines are ‘carriages’ within the meaning of the Highway Acts”. The maximum court fine is £500 or the police can issue a £50 fixed penalty notice (FPN). In short, it is illegal to cycle on a pavement alongside a road, unless it has been marked as a cycle track.

However, children under the age of 10 are below the age of criminal responsibility. Therefore, they cannot be prosecuted for a criminal offence. They cannot be issued with a fixed penalty notice either as they cannot be given to anyone under the age of 16.

This means that, whilst police officers can theoretically stop young children (aged under 10) who are cycling on pavements, they have no powers to arrest, fine or even caution them. This is sensible, as young children should not be expected to cycle on the road. To prepare them for this step as they get older, Cycling UK thoroughly recommends high quality cycle training.

so at age 14….

Cougar

We know. Enjoy it whilst it lasts though – that’s about to change though, a chunk of VED is going to start going towards road maintenance again. Comes in next month with the new VED charges I think.

Dickyboy

So long as you’ve taught him to exercise caution DezB – scares me watching kids pavement cycling then crossing junctions without so much as a glance or speed check 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

I’m amazed project can type so accurately using his arsehole. Clever.

So long as you’ve taught him to exercise caution DezB

He’s a clever and sensible boy. Dunno where he gets it from.

iainc

^^^^ still a very moot point overall given conflict between legal position as laid out in statute, and reinforced by cyclng bodies and the more flexible DfL email.

nealglover
    Free Member

I certainly don’t. No point now, you don’t even get a little badge for the window.

slowoldman

a chunk of VED is going to start going towards road maintenance again

What on Earth is the point? It’s a chunk of tax that goes into a big pot out of which all sorts of things are financed. The real issue is how much gets spent on road maintenance, not where it comes from.

project
    Free Member

dez b resorting to playground insults instead of reading what mature experienced cyclists have to say, what hope have we for civilised cycling and better road/cycling infrastructure if this is the level she wants us all to descend to.

That Footway cycling is ok, as her son has never had an incident till today, or just perhaps somebody just pointed out to her son the law regarding footway cycling and both mother and son appear to not know the laws of the road or even want to obey them.

ransos
    Free Member

As a parent if you find the roads to dangerous for your children to cycle on, what are you doing about it, organising petitions, phoning police and local councillors about your concerns, and copying in the local media, and council cycling officer.

I’ve written to my councillor, written to the mayor, attended consultations and signed petitions. How far do you suppose it’s got me?

Meanwhile, I’ll continue to deal with the world as it is.

That Footway cycling is ok, as her son has never had an incident till today, or just perhaps somebody just pointed out to her son the law regarding footway cycling and both mother and son appear to not know the laws of the road or even want to obey them.

The government says that pavement cycling is ok, provided you don’t act like a dick. Which seems like a perfectly sensible compromise.

funkmasterp

both mother and son appear to not know the laws of the road or even want to obey them.

I think DezB is a man and the pavement isn’t the road. I’d rather my child cycle on the footpath given the idiotic behaviour I see from motorists on a daily basis. All of your experienced cycling doesn’t alter the driving of others does it?

DezB
    Free Member

dez b resorting to playground insults instead of reading what mature experienced cyclists have to say

I read all of them. I am a “mature experienced cyclist”.
    But you said different things to everyone else. It was utterly moronic garbage. That’s why you’re on your own with those thoughts. That’s why reasoned discussion doesn’t work with internet fools who possess opinions that don’t exist in the real world. (you can’t even read a name). Idiot.

iainc

The government says that pavement cycling is ok, provided you don’t act like a dick. Which seems like a perfectly sensible compromise.

Yet current U.K. Law says it’s illegal…..

Remains a moot point.

project
    Free Member

youve lost the plot debz luv

theocb
    Free Member

😀 Come on Debz, calm it down 😀
    Mods can you change his name to Debz.. please?

DezB
    Free Member

youve lost the plot debz luv

You saw the thread title, yeah?

teasel
    Free Member

(you can’t even read a name). Idiot.

LOL

I remember when you took someone calling you DeBz with a pinch of salt and a smiley.

Oh, how the years take their toll…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Argh! Blood boiling!’ is closed to new replies.