Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • Are you getting your 7-a-day?
  • miketually
    Free Member

Not that I’m a bit obsessive, but I happened to have the kitchen scales out this morning…

The banana and raisins that went into my porridge this morning were 80g altogether (30g + 50g IIRC).

The veg (some red onion, red pepper, mange tout, baby sweetcorn, and salad leaves) that went into my lunch box came to 230g. Normally there’s be half a tin of chickpeas (120g) in there too, but we’d run out; there’s two leftover sausages instead.

So, 310g of ‘fruit&veg’ from breakfast and lunch today, but it’d normally be 430g.

zilog6128

I’m not saying we should all become acting frugivores. I’m saying that’s what we are biologically. the more we deviate from it the unhealthier we get. This is also why heating veg is good, our guts are best for digesting soft fruit, not hard veg. That why meat rots inside human guts and doesn’t digest (even after cooking it). Plant based (PLANT) is the nearest we can get to our natural diet.

what a load of bollocks.

bencooper
    Free Member

nother way to look at it is eat only meat and youll be very unhealthy and develope cronic illness.

Just like the Inuit don’t.

The problems with the 5-a-day message are two-fold. Firstly no-one knows what a portion is (okay, smart-arse STWers do, most people don’t), and secondly that sounds like a huge amount of vegetables. I’m mostly vegetarian, and that sounds like a lot of fruit and veg to me.

The message should be simpler – “Eat a balanced diet, get some exercise”

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Just like the Inuit don’t.

You mean the inuit that have a life expectancy of 40 or 50 years? Bad control group because they don’t live long.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.sg/2008/07/mortality-and-lifespan-of-inuit.html

Sick on 100% fruit? You judge.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5Z1gKiD1s&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Like I said, try training on meat alone.

For balance

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0H-rNO9Jwo[/video]

B12 is actually a bacteria that, if not for modern chemicals and pesticides in the environment, we would probably synthesize naturally in our intestines. Gut flora basically.

pictonroad

I pity your pancreas.

Why?

Seconded, just read through this, thought that food sounded ok, can you explain?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

We share the same/similar biological charateristics and genetic heritage as other apes. Frugivores; plant based plus very small amounts of animal protein (more or less animal protein depending on location and species). Acting omnivores but not biological omnivores.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce to you….the Inuit Paradox.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11566644

Anyway, I seem to remember that one of the reasons why humans developed bigger brains is because we started eating more meat.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Plant based diet pyramid

Eat like an inuit if you want to. Some of them even live to 60 years old.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

allmountainventure

I’ll give up expensive cheese and wine over my cold dead cancer ridden body.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

allmountainventure
    I’ll give up expensive cheese and wine over my cold dead cancer ridden body.

Its a free country bro 😆

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

B12 is actually a bacteria that, if not for modern chemicals and pesticides in the environment, we would probably synthesize naturally in our intestines. Gut flora basically.

Link please to proof that 1) The Small Gut can produce enough B12 in healthy individuals and 2) That pesticides affect small gut B12 production.

A quick google reveals sites that are mostly owned by hippies.

binners

Theres been a terrible mistake. There are no specific references to pasties, cheese strings or Monster Munch on that pyramid. You can’t just lump them all in as ‘processed food’ for gods sake. Theres a world of difference between, say, a pot noodle, and a Rustlers Microwaved cheeseburger. And the Pepperami Hot is a very different animal altogether. And wot of the Cheesy Wotsit eh? Wot?

You have the bare faced effrontery to come on here expecting to be taken seriously? Then lump in the Mini Chedder with Branston, and the McDonalds Mozzeralla Dipper. Laughable!!! Now go away and do your research properly man!!!! 🙄

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I thought it said ‘beer’ at the top of that pyramid.

you can be a top end endurance athlete. Try that with steak.

I think Jacques Anquetil did ok, famous eater of steak tartare, as he was.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Look up 30 bananas a day on the web or fruitarian athlete.

That’s a rather creative way to develop hyperkalemia.

miketually
    Free Member

Anyway, I seem to remember that one of the reasons why humans developed bigger brains is because we started eating more meat.

I think recent ideas have suggested it was because we started cooking veggies. (There was a documentary where (the lovely) Dr Alice Roberts at a lot of carrots.)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I discovered during the summer that Getmans feed their babies so much carrot during weaning that their little noses turned a bit orange.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

because we started cooking veggies.

Worth a read “Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human”

Jacques Anquetil

Is this the same Jacques Anquetil that died of stomach cancer at the ripe old age of 53? Coincidently the average life expectancy of a traditional Inuit…

Come on, you’re making this too easy!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I seem to remember that one of the reasons why humans developed bigger brains is because we started eating more meat.

There are many suggestions and no proofs
    However many many animals eat meant and many of them eat more than us but none are any brighter. I conclude eating meat is unlikely to be a sole causal factor in intelligence. Did it contribute possibly?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

There are many suggestions and no proofs

One study, published last month in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, examined the brain sizes of several primates. For the most part, larger bodies have larger brains across species. Yet human have exceptionally large, neuron-rich brains for our body size, while gorillas — three times more massive than humans — have smaller brains and three times fewer neurons. Why?

The answer, it seems, is the gorillas’ raw, vegan diet (devoid of animal protein), which requires hours upon hours of eating only plants to provide enough calories to support their mass.

Researchers from Brazil, led by Suzana Herculano-Houzel, a neuroscientist at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, calculated that adding neurons to the primate brain comes at a fixed cost of approximately six calories per billion neurons.

For gorillas to evolve a humanlike brain, they would need an additional 733 calories a day, which would require another two hours of feeding, the authors wrote. A gorilla already spends as much as 80 percent of the tropic’s 12 hours of daylight eating.

Similarly, early humans eating only raw vegetation would have needed to munch for more than nine hours a day to consume enough calories, the researchers calculated. Thus, a raw, vegan diet would have been unlikely given the danger and other difficulties of gathering so much food.

Cooking makes more foods edible year-round and releases more nutrients and calories from both vegetables and meat, Herculano-Houzel said.

“The bottom line is, it is certainly possible to survive on an exclusively raw diet in our modern day, but it was most likely impossible to survive on an exclusively raw diet when our species appeared,” Herculano-Houzel told LiveScience.

http://www.livescience.com/24875-meat-human-brain.html

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tanzania reveal that the child had porotic hyperostosis, a type of spongy bone growth associated with low levels of dietary iron and vitamins B9 and B12, the result of diet lacking animal products in a species that requires them.

Ohohoh so much for chemicals ruining our ability to produce B12.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So plant eating gorillas are not as intelligent as us because they spend too much time eating ?

That will explain why my two meat eating cats that spend most of their lives sleeping and only waking up to stretch, eat, and shit, are far more intelligent than gorillas. Or even humans for that matter.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

So plant eating gorillas are not as intelligent as us because they spend too much time eating ?

Whooosh.

Did the article/journals make any claims to answer that? No.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That will explain why my two meat eating cats …………. are far more intelligent than gorillas. Or even humans for that matter.

Whoooooooosh

zilog6128

That will explain why my two meat eating cats that spend most of their lives sleeping and only waking up to stretch, eat, and shit, are far more intelligent than gorillas. Or even humans for that matter.

Well, the cats have managed to get you to run around doing everything for them whilst they just chill out all day so yeah, I could probably name one human they are more intelligent than.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member Tanzania reveal that the child had porotic hyperostosis, a type of spongy bone growth associated with low levels of dietary iron and vitamins B9 and B12, the result of diet lacking animal products in a species that requires them.Ohohoh so much for chemicals ruining our ability to produce B12

Study into death by malnutrition discovers vitamin deficiency shocker. This example was a breastfeeding child so the difficiency was the mothers. Its not possible to know why she was deficient…

But…

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porotic_hyperostosis

“low level of iron in the blood is also a defense against pathogens, so a high incidence of the disease in a population could also indicate an attempt to fight off an infectious disease.[4] From this perspective, porotic hyperostosis could be viewed as a biological attempt to adapt to the environment, rather than an indicator of malnutrition”

Fwiw I only said its possible for b12 synthesis. Its an embryonic area of research.

Gorillas are vegan = falsehood. Gorillas are biological frugivores who can and do eat other animals… uncooked.

The reasons human brains grew is complex and largely unknown, but current theory suggests likely due to cooking than anything else because it allowed rapid consumption and absorbtion of nutruents… 2, 000cal/hour easily.. Human brains have lost the volume of a tennis ball in the last 30k years. How does that reconcile with increased meat consumption in that period?

Btw im not a no meat advocate. See previos posted food pyramid, thats my view.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Gorillas are vegan = falsehood. Gorillas are biological frugivores who can and do eat other animals… uncooked.

The reasons human brains grew is complex and largely unknown, but current theory suggests likely due to cooking than anything else because it allowed rapid consumption and absorbtion of nutruents. Human brains have lost the volume of a tennis ball in the last 30k years. How does that reconcile with increased meat consumption in that period?

The encephalization quotient is the same as it always has been. Thus your last sentence bores me to no end. There are of course other factors that contribute to brain development but at the end of the day, you have to fuel that brain. Your willingness to jump to conclusion and use rather specious unrelated arguments in at attempt to discredit the links I posted is irritating at the very least and intellectually bankrupt at the very worst.

The reasons human brains grew is complex and largely unknown, but current theory suggests likely due to cooking than anything else because it allowed rapid consumption and absorbtion of nutruents.

Link please? Current theory seems to suggest it was a combination of eating meat and cooking – without either then brain growth could not have been supported.

Gorrilla eat very very little meat, to the point that the original articles argument is still valid.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catching_Fire:_How_Cooking_Made_Us_Human

If you are bored stop reading. You’re edging into the lowest form of argument.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The traditional explanation is that human ancestors scavenged carcasses for high-quality food that preceded the evolutionary shift to smaller guts and larger brains

Ohohohoh

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Study into death by malnutrition discovers vitamin deficiency shocker. This example was a breastfeeding child so the difficiency was the mothers. Its not possible to know why she was deficient…

But…

The point being, that you clearly missed, is that humans…without all those nasty nasty pescticides that have stopped countless millions from starving, still could not produce enough B12.

This example was a breastfeeding child so the difficiency was the mothers. Its not possible to know why she was deficient…

I’m assuming pesticides weren’t the cause.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Ohohohoh

Which means?

Read the link. Could be cause by pathogens, not just diet. Those tanzanians could have been eating loads of animal protien, but an environmental pathogen caused anemia in the population.

binners

One fact thats absolutely certain is that a vegan diet would be good for the more follically challenged amongst us. Its what Junkyard credits his continued modelling success too. And he’s just finished his latest campaign for L’oreal. I’m sure that we can all agree that with the moobs his vegan diet has endowed him with, he’s most definitely worth eet! 😀

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Really ? You couldn’t work out what allmountainventure’s point was ? It was written in straightforward plain English.

Eating only meat and nothing else is very bad for you. But eating only produce derived from plants/trees and nothing else isn’t so bad for you. HTH

Well that’s such a glaringly obvious and useless thing to say I’d assumed there was another point I was missing. Did you also know the sky is blue?

Come on, you’re making this too easy!!

Making what too easy? You’re trying to tell us that we don’t need to eat meat? We all know this already.

Are you saying that meat is actually bad for us? I don’t believe this and you’ll have to do a lot better to convince me.

Are you saying that humans havne’t evolved to eat meat? This is just wrong.

Incidentally, I have heard a theory that says that suggests early humans lived on the shoreline, where they could eat lots of seafood rich in omega whatever and their brains could grow big.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure some of you really understand natural selection. Species don’t develop things randomly, they need external pressures. So Gorillas who are happy munching plants and succeeding as a species don’t have any imperative to develop a bigger brain – why goto the trouble? It causes humans enough problems.

At some point in history early hominids were in a situation where superior intelligence gave them an advantage and helped them survive – and they had the diet to support the larger brain mutation. If gorillas had that situation tomorrow, they would start looking for new food sources – and probably eating more meat.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not sure some of you really understand natural selection.

And I’m not sure some people really understand pisstaking.

This might come as a terrible shock to you but I don’t actually think that cats are far more intelligent than humans because they have a lot of spare time after eating their meaty meals. I thought that was obvious but maybe not 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Binners if i looked like that i would not be wasting my time and hands typing gibberish on here 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

And I’m not sure some people really understand pisstaking.

Well that wasn’t aimed at you.. but others seem to think that big brains developed simply because diet changed, which isn’t really the case.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Fair enough. I had assumed because you had quoted me that it was aimed at me.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Making what too easy?

It was a joke really. Someone names a steak eating athlete as an alternative to the fruitarian athlete The steak eater sadly died age only 53 of stomach cancer. Rather ironic example I thought.

Well that’s such a glaringly obvious and useless thing to say I’d assumed there was another point I was missing.

There was actually. I was using that as an illustration of my statement that humans frugivore roots and the common misconception that humans are biological omnivores. We are not designed to eat animal protien but have adapted to it… not that well actually.

Im not a no meat advocate, unless we are talking modern farmed animals or red meat which should be avoided at all costs. Even if you are getting wild animals, more than once a week is too much imo.

binners

Do sausage rolls count as wild animals if you buy them at the Gregg’s in Salford precinct though?

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Yes. But must be eaten raw to benifit from the fatist acid.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was using that as an illustration of my statement that humans frugivore roots and the common misconception that humans are biological omnivores.

I don’t think it illustrates that particularly well.

We are not designed to eat animal protien

I really don’t think we’re DESIGNED to do anything. Everything we can do is an adaptation, and we adapted to eat meat a really really really really long time ago. Way before we were hominids, even.

Some knowledgeable answers here.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Are you getting your 7-a-day?’ is closed to new replies.