Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)
  • Are you getting your 7-a-day?
  • D0NK

Junkyard I’m trying to get in touch, give me a shout when you get chance (email or phone)

Junkyard
    Free Member

You vegan curious ?

miketually
    Free Member

I assume it is pretty hard for a meat eater

Nope.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

I have seen your dinners [ ok you posted them up once] and you may not be typical

brassneck

Does it have to be opaque? I was hoping the stuff we bought in steel jerrycans from round the back of a derelict farmhouse counted. The rust added to the bouquet.

Pretty sure that’s red diesel 🙂

D0NK

You vegan curious ?

something like that yes 🙂

I assume it is pretty hard for a meat eater

Nope.I’d guess it’s reasonably easy if you made a concerted effort to make it a part of your diet, probably easier for veggie/vegans tho (after mike’s first post I did assume he was veggie)

Meateater here and struggle with 5 let alone 7, must try harder.

Solo
    Free Member

Its what he does on every vaguely diet related thread dont take it personally they cannot help themselves and is is not you but them. On the plus side I will get the flak for a bit now and not you

Yay, Junkster is back. And posting on my behalf. Pity you’re wrong though. But when has that ever stopped you.
    😉

I expect that you’ll be frothing up quite nicely, soon.
    😆

brassneck

I assume it is pretty hard for a meat eater as I am not certain that every single day [ perhaps one or two a month*] I achieve it and i am a vegan

I’d agree, just veggie here rather than vegan though (AKA – weak :-))

I’m thinking of an average day:

Brekkie – 2 boiled eggs, 2 slices of Vogel, tea.
    Lunch – Salad, houmous + carrot sticks, crisps (my treat)
    Tea – veggie chilli / pasta (usually Quorn plus onion, peppers, courgette, maybe grated carrot)

Probably an apple as a snack at some point, too much coffee & tea through out.

I doubt that there’s 400g of veg in there. thats a lot of veg.

miketually
    Free Member

I’d guess it’s reasonably easy if you made a concerted effort to make it a part of your diet

It’s as complicated as:

1. buy more veg
    2. eat it

I might bung a ‘typical’ day’s worth of veg in a bowl tonight and weigh it.

jools182
    Free Member

I eat porridge for breakfast, banana mid morning, lunch is usually a sandwich, a couple of tangerines after lunch, then dinner is usually meat or fish and potatoes/rice and a portion of veg

ebygomm
    Free Member

Never realised how big a portion was

1 portion =

1 leek
    8 spring onions
    1 cereal bowl of lettuce
    8 brussel sprouts

Most of the examples I can find seem to be about double what I would count as a portion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The prosecution cases rest M Lord

footflaps

1 portion =

1 packet Mini Cheddars
    1/2 bar Milk Chocolate
    1 can Red Bull
    8 Penny Chews
    1 Portion Chips
    30ml Ketchup

miketually
    Free Member

Change of plan for my tea: roasted squash and stir fry of red onion, red pepper, green beans and leeks. With roast potatoes and a steak.

oldboy
    Free Member

I may have to cut down on fruit and veg to meet the new target 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Tea:

binners

You are aware that having steak without chips and onion rings is actually illegal? And the absense of a creamy pepper or Roquefort sauce is only compounding the original crime

Best get that down your neck sharpish, before the knock at the door

zilog6128

You are aware that having steak without chips and onion rings is actually illegal?

perhaps he doesn’t share your view that Wetherspoons is the epitome of fine dining! 😀

miketually
    Free Member

Roast potatoes are almost chips. And sauce on a steak is wrong; it’s not the 70s.

piemonster

Good to see Binners is all over this like chilli sauce on a kebab.

miketually
    Free Member

If you eat the salad with your kebab, that must be 3-a-day?

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Its not that hard if you base your diet around veg. Meat isnt all that necassary for humans… biologically frugivores aren’t we. The main problem is too much meat.

molgrips
    Free Member

biologically frugivores aren’t we.

Don’t think so.

myti
    Free Member

Just weighed my daily banana…146 grams..get in! Think I mostly do 5 to 7 portions a day but this is only in the last year since I started getting a veg box and so had to get creative with veg as I hate wasting food/money. I really enjoy eating veg now but it does take time and imagination to make it interesting. My fav way of getting a load of veg down is roasting up a big tray sprinkled with herbs, spices, balsamic vinegar, rape oil..just discovered cauliflower is gorgeous like this.

piemonster

Roasted veg is a wonderful thing

molgrips
    Free Member

I think the issue is that most of us are buying food from sandwich shops etc at lunchtime, and they have very little in the way of veg that’s not salad.

If I am somewhere with a canteen I can get 5 a day fairly easily. If not, it’s really hard.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

We share the same/similar biological charateristics and genetic heritage as other apes. Frugivores; plant based plus very small amounts of animal protein (more or less animal protein depending on location and species). Acting omnivores but not biological omnivores.

The common mistake is to confuse to “be” with to “do” when thinking ‘ivore etc.. If I start to eat only meat it doesnt suddenly make me a carnivore… We have cooked food for up to 2.5 million years so human digestive tract has evolved on its own, but we are closest anatomically to our frugivore relatives.

Another way to look at it is eat only meat and youll be very unhealthy and develope cronic illness. Eat only plants and the opposite occurs. Thats because plants are what we are primarily evolved to eat…. more recently cooked plants.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Depends really. Mostly not. But I go though phases. But other wise I eat terribly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Acting omnivores but not biological omnivores.

You’re going to have to do better than ‘we’re quite like apes’.

Another way to look at it is eat only meat and youll be very unhealthy and develope cronic illness. Eat only plants and the opposite occurs.

Ah.. wait.. you said FRUIT at first, now you are saying plants.

The evoution thing is a red herring in some ways. Humans (along with lots of other successful animals) have evolved to eat a huge variety of things. We can be very healthy on man different combinations of foods – meat or non-meat.

Another way to look at it is eat only meat and youll be very unhealthy and develope cronic illness.

Crap logic. Drink only water and you’ll die – therefore water is bad for you!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Crap logic. Drink only water and you’ll die – therefore water is bad for you!

S/he didn’t say that meat was bad for you, s/he said only eating meat was bad.

mikey74
    Free Member

As far as I understand, and I could be wrong, is that it isn’t fructose in it’s natural form that is bad; it’s fructose in unnatural, highly concentrated forms, such as High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), that is bad (m’kay?). High concentrations of sugar also include fruit juice.

Ergo, fresh fruit should be fine as our bodies are use to processing the levels of sugar within.

This could all be crap, though :mrgreen:

ebygomm
    Free Member

Ergo, fresh fruit should be fine as our bodies are
    use to processing the levels of sugar within.

Not necessarily, they stopped feeding the monkeys at Paignton zoo bananas as modern varieties contain too much sugar.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Show me where i said “fruit”?

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t that what frugivore means?

S/he didn’t say that meat was bad for you, s/he said only eating meat was bad.

If his/her point wasn’t that meat is bad, I’m not sure what else it could be.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

they stopped feeding the monkeys at Paignton zoo bananas as modern varieties contain too much sugar.

I thought all bananas were clones/genetically identical…..how can “modern varieties” have more sugar ?

molgrips
    Free Member

There are loads of banana varieties. We only get one in this country generally.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes I’m aware that there are many varieties of bananas but I assumed that Paignton zoo were feeding the ordinary easily available variety to their monkeys.

They should try the cloned variety which hasn’t changed for hundreds of years if they are worried about the rare fancy varieties.

If his/her point wasn’t that meat is bad, I’m not sure what else it could be.

Really ? You couldn’t work out what allmountainventure’s point was ? It was written in straightforward plain English.

Eating only meat and nothing else is very bad for you. But eating only produce derived from plants/trees and nothing else isn’t so bad for you. HTH

Junkyard
    Free Member

eat only meatbananas and youll be very unhealthy and develope cronic illness.

try your own food molly , it does not mean the food is bad only that eating ONLY that food is bad for you.

totalshell

my diet on tuesday

breakfast.. coffee three weetabix.

lunch..coffee and a slice of home made almond slice

evening meal.. can of baked beans

supper.. warfarin pravastatin coffee slice of apple blueberry pie

did i get 7 in there..

allmountainventure
    Free Member

801010 diet is pretty damn healthy. Look up 30 bananas a day on the web or fruitarian athlete.

30 Days, 900 Very Ripe Bananas

http://www.thefruitarian.com/

So rather than being ill you can be a top end endurance athlete. Try that with steak.

I’m not saying we should all become acting frugivores. I’m saying that’s what we are biologically. the more we deviate from it the unhealthier we get. This is also why heating veg is good, our guts are best for digesting soft fruit, not hard veg. That why meat rots inside human guts and doesn’t digest (even after cooking it). Plant based (PLANT) is the nearest we can get to our natural diet.

Fwiw frugivores observed in the wild can an do eat animal protien, sometimes frequently. Eggs would be plentiful and very easy to get, so are insects and so on. But it doesnt mean they aren’t still frugivores, nature doesnt fit neatly into scientific boxes and most frugivores are acting omnivores/opportunistic feeders.

One thing you can say about human society that is based around animal protien. Short lifespans or longer lifespans but riddled with diseases and propped up by drugs.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Are you getting your 7-a-day?’ is closed to new replies.