Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)
  • Are you 1 in 5 or 20% of the population who would say no
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

What about same sex adoption then? I think that one may be slightly more controversial to the STW masses?

slowoldman

The font here has confused me before, and its done it again

Isn’t that christenings rather than weddings?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Me and Mrs TJ have a very close couple of guys who at long last want to show their lifetime commitment to each other next year. Darren gave my wife away at our wedding and he always said he wanted her to return the favour. We cant wait, although its a year away. Will be a great day for a great happy couple. We don’t see them as any different to hetro couples and neither do my kids, they are Darren and Roy and my son who is ten knows about how they live together and sees they are very happy. He sees nothing wrong and neither do we.

rkk01
    Free Member

Sounds about fair; if you’d asked me what proportion of the population are irredeemably ****, I’d have gone for about 20%

I’d say that was a highly Conservative estimate 😆

aa
    Free Member

Is a marriage, as the participant or guest, a nice day out? Yes
    Do I like a nice day out? Yes
    That’s my answer. Right there.

GrahamS

Apparently children is the reason why (non gay) people should get married, according to some stupid woman in the audience.

Yeah heard the same argument on the radio today. Apparently Hetero marriage is “special” because it produces children. So we shouldn’t allow same sex marriages.

Or presumably infertile people. Or people who already have children. Or old people. Or people who don’t actually want kids.

🙄

thehustler
    Free Member

I have nothing against gay/ lesbian people,
    I am not religious

I would attend either a civil partnership or a same sex marriage with no issue

..but for those that are religious the bible does say that marriage is between a man and a woman, so surely the religion should have the right to chose whether or not to allow marriage.

At the end of the day a civil partnership provides all the rights in the eyes of the law, so why try and change religious doctrine

nonk
    Free Member

I would go for sure !
    I used to go clubbing with the rowdy gay folks when I lived in Newcastle
    They know how to throw a do. 🙂

GrahamS

At the end of the day a civil partnership provides all the rights in the eyes of the law, so why try and change religious doctrine

Except that isn’t happening. They are quite free to continue their bigotry.

Religion doesn’t have a monopoly on marriage. I got married to my wife in an entirely secular ceremony. Why shouldn’t gay people be allowed the same right?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Would go no bother. Some people need to wake up to the 21st century. My brothers gay so potential for best man duties there as well if he asked. Which would be different, but wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.

chickenman

Me and Mrs TJ

!!!! 😯

scaredypants

..but for those that are religious the bible does say that marriage is between a man and a woman, so surely the religion should have the right to chose whether or not to allow marriage.

The bible says lots that the same people seem mostly happy to disregard when it suits them

footflaps

Marriage, in the UK, is a legal institution not a religious one. Should be open to all.

IanW
    Free Member

No jokes Pete, maybe in your world there’s a lot of Christian Homosexuals but I don’t know many of either let alone people who are both.

nick1962
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s the athiests (39% of the UK are apparently)who are saying no to a marriage ceremony held in a religious building.

Northwind

I hate weddings and I’ll usually take any excuse to get out of one but pretending to be a shitehawk is a step too far. So I am the 80%. But I’ll still complain about the price at the bar.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’d go to a friend’s wedding gay or not.

How about this though. If your parents were anti-gay and your child was gay, would you try to convince your parents to go to their grandchild’s wedding?

scaredypants

would you try to convince your parents to go to their grandchild’s wedding?

no, I’d discourage them from attending as it’d be hypocritical (assuming they’d been anti-gay for some time prior to that I suspect that my child wouldn’t invite them anyway – and I’d support that)

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Ok, how about if it were a straight wedding and you knew your mother didn’t approve of your child’s partner for one reason or another?

GrahamS

would you try to convince your parents to go to their grandchild’s wedding?

Yes.

Because I’d hope they could put aside their ideology for one day for the happiness of a family member.

After all, I go to christenings etc.

6079smithw
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liNnCKPeEv0[/video]

derekfish
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say no, I’d go and probably have a bit of a riot, if any of the gay parties I’ve been to over the years are anything to go by.

However, I’d feel a bit bitter, my Mrs and I couldn’t marry in a church, she catholic, me divorcee, we accepted it and got on with life, as things worked out she lost her faith eventually.

We also lived through the period when marriage meant less and less an at the end of the day who gave a damn wether you were married or not. So kind of fail to see why ‘they’ necessarily need the endorsement, given i assume that the civil partnership deal gives the same rights as we got at the registry office.

I see it as gay hubris, just wanting to rub the noses of the right or church goers in it, in much the same way as the lefties rubbed the right wings noses in the immigration and multicultural pc bullshit. Truth is, these days, other than the primitives, radical islamists etc, nobody gives a toss what your sexuality is, and personally i think it’s pathetic that we constantly find we have to define ourselves by it.

That Question Time last night, in Brighton ffs having that debate, why? Are they deliberately trying to inflame opinion against it? Cameron? It was just political opportunism, was it necessary? I don’t really think so, most of the gay folk I know just roll their eyes, and get on with life.

It’s just bollox, who really even cares?

footflaps

However, I’d feel a bit bitter, my Mrs and I couldn’t marry in a church, she catholic, me divorcee, we accepted it and got on with life, as things worked out she lost her faith eventually.

Rather than bitter couldn’t you be proud that society has moved on from such prejudice and is now much more accepting of all?

chickenman

I would say that of the (100+) gay folk I’ve met, more than half have been church going Christians. You need to remember that it’s almost impossible to be a choir boy and grow up Hetro.. 😈

rocketman
    Free Member

Nope not a chance in hell I’d go to a gay wedding

derekfish
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    Rather than bitter couldn’t you be proud that society has moved on from such prejudice and is now much more accepting of all?

Has it? It might have done for the gays, but has anything changed for straight folk? Could I marry my mrs in a catholic church with her in the white dress all young girls yearn for, if we presented ourselves today as we were thirty years ago? I doubt it.

GrahamS

Derek: you realise gay people can’t marry in a Catholic Church either?

You act as if they are being granted more than you – rather than just asking for the same.

derekfish
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Derek: you realise gay people can’t marry in a Catholic Church either?

You act as if they are being granted more than you – rather than just asking for the same.
    Yes of course I realise that, my point, why make the whole issue seem important to you? It’s the whole attention seeking thing, ‘oh we’re gay we’re a special case’ when in point of fact they’re not, lots of folk get discriminated against so they just get on with it, ignore the ****, move on, get on with your life, but that’s not the Gay way is it? They seek attention and bollox… Meanwhile the silent thousands brood..

It’s the trouble with pendulums, they swing from wrong to wrong.

GrahamS

It’s the whole attention seeking thing, ‘oh we’re gay we’re a special case’ when in point of fact they’re not

Surely the entire point is that they don’t want to be treated as a special case.

They don’t want a special case “civil partnership” alternative to marriage. They just want the same marriage as anyone else.

project
    Free Member

Seems as if civilisation is safe on here, just a few disenters still in the closet then.

derekfish
    Free Member

In fact let me qualify that, “It’s not the gay way” that should read it’s not the “Scene Gay way” there are hundreds of silent Gay majority as well, that just don’t want the fuss, that get on with their lives lead normal existences just like the everybody else, but they’re not Politicians looking for votes or publicity, in lots of ways this issue quietly in the leafy suburbs has been very detrimental to the harmony that had settled across the orientation divide, if the word divide even is the correct choice, it’s not.

GrahamS

I think your own prejudices are showing Derek. The very non-scene quiet leafy suburb gay people I know are quite happy about it.

peterfile
    Free Member

No one should ever have to be happy or just stay quiet about inequality, whether as a bystander or the affected.

This resistance to gay rights stuff is like “rights for coloured folks” all over again, it’s absurd and has no place in society.

jonba
    Free Member

Peterfile, I agree, hopefully it won’t be that long before the youngsters of today look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. Personally I would like to see the back of gay marriage and just have marriage.

AdamW
    Free Member

I had my CP in 2006 with MrAdamW. Since there was no ‘template’ for gay marriage and it had to be done in a registry office we invited 13 people to the office then took them all out for dinner afterwards at a reet posh restaurant.

Apart from Me and MrAdamW only one other was gay (though one other was trans). The straight guests said it was the best wedding they had been to. It was full of fun, laughter and then a lot of playstation playing when they crashed at my house.

We’re most probably going to convert to a marriage later on. Neither of us are religious. In fact I’m sure it is very similar to straight marriages. I just end up saying “Yes dear” a lot and doing what I’m told! 😀

As with the religious aspect I will admit I am somewhat confounded by the number of nonbelievers getting married in church. But the church doesn’t seem to worry about that.

tenfoot

Having been to a same sex civil partnership ceremony, I’d say it was no different to all the civil marriages I’ve been to.

A lovely day with great friends and much beer.

chewkw
    Free Member

Do whatever they like cos that’s their choice. Nothing to do with me.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I was both the witness at a civil partnership and the official photographer. Longtime friends in my social group. It was a really lovely day. I feel very sad for people in the past who have truly loved and been condemned for it.

Ironically, the person who I have known to be the most hostile to gay and lesbian weddings (refusing to go, hostile at being invited) was a gay man. He was full of resentment he did not have a life partner, so was incredibly hostile to anyone who did. Rather sad and immature.

I think its important to remember that not all straight weddings are welcomed by family and friends. Sometimes the new partner is hated by the opposing family. My sister and I both had difficult times with dating and weddings as my family were hostile and nasty to anyone we dated. If I had married anyone my parents would never have come to my wedding. Both I and my sister are straight.

I think anyone who finds love and acceptance is lucky and I dont care what sex any of them are. Happy for them to adopt kids too. Any happy home is better than a straight miserable one.

samuri
    Free Member

heh! Why would someone change their mind because it’s a same sex marriage? Bizarre. Anyone who would do this is a pathetic excise for a human being. Two people who love each other, getting married. What does it matter what gender they are? Madness.

I’d go.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Weve got gay friends, I treat them no different to any others. I hate prejudiced people, I quite gladly treat them differently.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Are you 1 in 5 or 20% of the population who would say no’ is closed to new replies.