Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)
  • Are you 1 in 5 or 20% of the population who would say no
  • shifter
    Free Member

Yeah project, anyone who disagrees with you is in the closet. You win the internet.

AdamW
    Free Member

Hey Project, if you win the internet can I have all the good gay stuff?

Oh, and pictures of dogs, naturally.
    And recipes.
    And, err, all pictures of Matt Hunter and Chris Hemsworth. For research purposes, I hope you understand. 😀

Ta!

sbob
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Religion doesn’t have a monopoly on marriage.

Of course it does, marriage is a religious constitution.
    I’m just not sure why a gay couple would want to get married, and in doing so associate themselves with that bigotted regime.

*Very drunk and struggling to find the tight words, but just to clarify, this is a pro-gay, anti-religion rant.
    Have I got away with that?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vickypea
    Free Member

Of course I would attend a gay wedding. Other people have made the point already, but my first thought was anyone who is likely to refuse to attend one would be unlikely to be invited in the first place.

GrahamS

Of course it does, marriage is a religious constitution.

No, it’s a legal institution.

That is why I, like many other straight people, was able to marry my wife in a lovely but entirely secular non-religious ceremony.

crikey
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d go to a gay wedding because I wouldn’t have nice enough clothes. 🙂

large418
    Free Member

Does it mean that if you are gay and getting married, it’s ok to only have food for 4/5ths of the guests, on the basis that 1/5th won’t turn up?

Sounds like a good money saving tip to me

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Can someone explain why people get married for reasons other than beliefs?

Doesn’t a good will / solicitor sort any legal issues?

If gay people want to tie themselves together in the same way hetero couples do, and then spend a small fortune undoing it in the future, then good on ’em.

It does though, for me, smart a little or parity for the sake of it.

And I’m as camp as a row of pink tents and have swung in various directions in my time on this planet before I get called a homophobe

athgray
    Free Member

I went to a gay civil ceremony a couple of years ago. Although not technically a marriage, it was a great day out. Disco was great fun.

wingnuts

Going to one of the first later today. Looking forward to it.

gogg
    Free Member

b r

the numbers don’t seem to add up:

The research also found that younger people were more likely to support same-sex marriage, with 80% of 18 to 34-year-olds backing it, compared with 44% of over-65s.

Unless the 35-65 y/o are greater than 80% and made up the majority of those surveyed. Or is my maths wrong?

Clearly you sir are an investment banker…

80% of the respondents in the 18-34 category, 44% of the respondents in the over 65 category (eg 8 out of 10 of the 18-34 year olds and 4 out of 9 in the over 65s).

gogg
    Free Member

I’m against gay marriage, all my gay friends are so happy, why should they have to be made as miserable as me.

GrahamS

Can someone explain why people get married for reasons other than beliefs?

For me it was about making a promise of commitment; taking our relationship to something beyond “boyfriend/girlfriend”. And having a ceremony and big party to celebrate that promise.

Doesn’t a good will / solicitor sort any legal issues?

Probably. But “I’ve drawn up a 78 page contract covering our financial and legal obligations to each other going forward. Will you sign it?” doesn’t seem quite as romantic as “Will you marry me?” 😀

konabunny
    Free Member

No, it’s a legal institution.

Not exclusively it’s not. Amazingly for one of the core human relationships across time and space, it’s multilayered and multifaceted and a messy blend of lots of things: social, religious, legal, emotional…

project
    Free Member

Sometimes the new partner is hated by the opposing family. My sister and I both had difficult times with dating and weddings as my family were hostile and nasty

You do know its illegal to marry your sister

GrahamS

Not exclusively it’s not. Amazingly for one of the core human relationships across time and space, it’s multilayered and multifaceted and a messy blend of lots of things: social, religious, legal, emotional…

Indeed.

What I said originally was religion doesn’t have a monopoly on marriage. It is just one facet of some marriages.

RustySpanner

Not in Todmorden.
    I don’t think they’ve ever got out of the shallow end of the gene pool.

We’re getting married this year.
    I’m looking forward to it.
    Just wish my parents could have been here to see it.

As for gay marriage, it’s a huge step forward.
    Makes us a more civilised people and annoys the bigots.
    What’s not to like?

aP
    Free Member

The comments on the BBC ‘Have your say’ page are quite eye opening, I guess CMD now has a pretty good idea of quite how many are going to vote UKIP.

miketually
    Free Member

Various CofE bishops have welcomed equal marriage rights, at least two CofE vicars I know have expressed their support for the legislation, as have other religious friends.

It’s rather called my sister’s bluff, as she’d always said she’d only marry her girlfriend if it was a full equal marriage 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

n fact let me qualify that, “It’s not the gay way” that should read it’s not the “Scene Gay way” there are hundreds of silent Gay majority as well, that just don’t want the fuss, that get on with their lives lead normal existences just like the everybody else

What like? oohhh, idunno, getting married, and living normal lives like everyone else?

Didn’t we have this chat a while back derek? No special rights, just normal like everyone else…great isn’t it?

BTW I’m still desperate to know what a scene gay is 😆

AdamW your posts about your hubby are so full of love. It really shows 8)

RightWing
    Free Member

Absolutely not. I know no gays and have no wish to be bummed and catch aids.

gogg
    Free Member

Just heard on Radio4 “Pink News” described as a newspaper for the gay community, obviously the “Anti-Mail”.

kelvin

I remember my daughter (at age 5) being seriously told off at school for telling a girl she was gay.
    The girl had said that when she grew up she wanted to marry another girl.

No point to this story… except that future generations will deal with all this much better than adults today.
    That 20% will be 2% one day.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve rarely enjoyed a hetero wedding and try and come up with any excuse not to go, I can’t see that a gay wedding would be any better. Not sure if this leaves me in the 80% who don’t really see the difference or in the 20% that wouldn’t want to attend.

bigjim

I’m against gay marriage, all my gay friends are so happy, why should they have to be made as miserable as me.

😆

nealglover
    Free Member

Could I marry my mrs in a catholic church with her in the white dress all young girls yearn for, if we presented ourselves today as we were thirty years ago? I doubt it.

Yes you could.

By the sound of it, your first marriage wasn’t a Catholic Ceremony ?

If that’s the case, then you could always have married in a Catholic Church as your previous marriage would not have been recognised as “valid” in the eyes if the Catholic Church, so you had never been previously married.

(If it was a Catholic wedding first time round, then obviously that’s not relevant, and no, you couldn’t.)

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve rarely enjoyed a hetero wedding and try and come up with any excuse not to go, I can’t see that a gay wedding would be any better.

It would be way better!

julianwilson
    Free Member

I am in the 80% who would say yes. In principle i already have: I went to a civil partnership a few years ago and it was ace: Brighton (where else? :lol:) registry office which is really nice, bride wore a big white dress and the other bride wore a morning suit. Reception was ace with live band, masses of pudding and 7 real ales on tap. Despite the difference in wording and legal status, it was much more weddingy than some registry office hetero weddings I have been to before.

Yeah heard the same argument on the radio today. Apparently Hetero marriage is “special” because it produces children. So we shouldn’t allow same sex marriages.

I know a further 2 lesbian couples who have had (as in given birth to) a baby or are well on the way to it. Does that argument mean they cn get married then? (or should they be already?)

project
    Free Member

RightWing – Homophobe

Posted 6 hours ago #Report-Post

Always one un educated prole, you can catch HIV, through intravenous drug use, sharing needles, it snow affecting the steroid using community, from blood transfusions many years ago when we where importing foreign un tested blood, untested because no one had a need for a test then, then there is un protected sex between male and female and male and male.

Yoyu really should make the effort to meet some gay people youll find theyre funny, wealthy usually, well spoken and educated and know what they want.

CountZero

Project, don’t feed the troll, it only encourages them…

GrahamS

Good work by whichever mod changed his “Member” tag though 😀

shifter
    Free Member

Surely it was sarcasm?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Project – what’s this ‘wealthy’ thing you speak of? My son’s as gay as a chaffinch, and he’s forever borrowing stuff / money from me. The lying, cheating, good with colours swine! Also, the best son I could ever have wished for. His opinion on this is ‘why does it have to be gay marriage? Why can’t it just be marriage?’, to which I wholeheartedly agree. I bet I still end up paying for the wedding though! Oh, and surely, right-wing (that has to be a piss take for a start) is just trolling?

grantway
    Free Member

About time They (expression) are included has to what is actually Normal !
    Lets be honest here Just how the hell can some churches question and keep
    such bad sexual perverted practices behind closed doors.
    when they question honest people whom love each other and wanting to create the sacred bond to each other

This is a good step forward.

Northwind

This story brought out 3 facts in my office.
    1) One of the girls I work with is gay and nobody knew
    2) The guy most people thought was gay, isn’t
    3) That guy is me apparently!

GrahamS

Are you a “Scene Gay” though Northwind? 😉

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I think he’s more of a ‘scenic’ gay, rambling up the old man of coniston wearing nowt but a wistful expression and a pair of slightly too small velvet shorts. Phwoaar!

anagallis_arvensis

RightWing – Homophobe

I reported this post about 6 hours ago and am massively disappointed to see that all the mods have seen fit to do is join in with the fun by changing the tag. I thought this forum was run by people who were better than that.

Mark

Sorry you got all upset about it. I thought it best to shame the idiot for a while. He’s been banned for life.

sbob
    Free Member

I assumed it was a joke…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Are you 1 in 5 or 20% of the population who would say no’ is closed to new replies.