Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 218 total)
  • Are UK riders moving further away from US/Euro riding trends?
  • GW
    Free Member

you knew exactly what I mean’t but I’d imagine it’d make **** all difference what a V10 was like to you Stu.

Buzz – watch some WC DH footage from say, 1998ish and compare the riders styles (and track style too to be fair) to what you saw this season and hopefully you’ll get the idea. (there will be plenty Eurosport footage on You tube)
    the New School of younger DH rider is more flamboyant and stylish with many looking more ragged and on the edge.. Gracia and Pascal (some may say Palmer too) were among the few inspiring riders back to show similar style.

backhander
    Free Member

people starting to realise they don’t need a big 5 or 6inch all mountain bike for the uk’s singletrack.

I don’t know why this keeps popping up.
    What if you like to ride singletrack AND go on uplifts AND take your bike on hols to BC, alps etc?
    Should we buy 2 or 3 bikes? of course not. A 5.5″ or 6″ bike is the perfect compromise for those who might not have the money, space or inclination to have a load of bikes. These bikes aren’t too heavy, burdonsome to pedal or maintenance intensive anymore. I think we’ll se more of them as they improve further.
    Oh and I like peatys style, composed and efficient IMO.

singlespeedstu

but I’d imagine it’d make **** all difference what a V10 was like to you Stu.

Why’s that then?

If you’re trying to question my riding ability come back when you’ve been a member of a national squad representing your country at a few world championships. 😉

You DH boys think you’re so Gnar. Take up MX or Enduros if you think you’ve got some skillz. 😛

showerman
    Free Member

simples when they stop making 26 and go fully 29er we have no choice in the matter and it is not that far away.

coastkid
    Free Member

Having had a “snow day” this has been an interesting thread…
    looks like i need to sell all my bikes!
    Surly karate Monkey 29er-which i love as best fitting bike ever and most comfortable “all day” bike ever,its a great bikepacking tourer,
    Slow on singletrack? er…no, never cant keep up with anyone,never last.
    And i like a wee wheelie and i have to say best balance point bike i have ever owned for wheelies and manuals…
    One One 456 with 5″ pikes…cheap,reliable,use all the fork travel no probs and this i use instead of a full suss latest must have bike which i just cant afford…
    Then the Surly Pugsley..designed in MN USA for sub zero winter riding, Yes there are states in the USA called Minnesota and Alaska where folk ride in winter often at -40C on snow and ice.i think thats winter conditions… with temperatures twice as cold as the UK.
    I ride my fatbike on the beach…you may notice we have 1600 miles of coastline here in the UK, but it must be not cool as not in UK magazines…
    Frankly i couldnt give a toss about what any UK magazine or forum says what bike we should ride, i bought each bike i own for where i live and the terrain, folk need to spend more time not worrying and just go ride there bikes and enjoy themselves 😮

epicyclo

singlespeedstu – Member
    ‘but I’d imagine it’d make **** all difference what a V10 was like to you Stu.’
    Why’s that then?…

Don’t worry Stu, GW has already told me I don’t know what I’m talking about too. He’s obviously an expert because he can criticise Steve Peat’s riding for not being ‘inspiring’ enough, so he must be better than you too.

Shortly he’ll accuse you of being in a niche…

singlespeedstu

Being a British Team ISDE rider is quite a small niche to be in so i’d have a agree with him. 😆

backhander
    Free Member

Is that mountain biking stu? (honest question)

singlespeedstu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Six_Days_Enduro

It’s the word team championsips for Moto Enduro.

ampthill

Great thread

I have to say well done Gary Fisher. He has pushed through two geometry changes. Longer top tube shorter stem and now greater fork offset on a 29er. I think thats pretty good going

GW
    Free Member

Why’s that then?

Because as far as I’m aware you don’t ride/race DH simple as that.

Don’t worry Stu, GW has already told me I don’t know what I’m talking about too.

Yeah, from what you said about riding rock gardens, you honestly didn’t seem to and on that count I’m still happy for you to prove me wrong.

He’s obviously an expert because he can criticise Steve Peat’s riding for not being ‘inspiring’ enough, so he must be better than you too.

comprehension doesn’t seem to be your strong point so I’ll say it again.. “least inspiring from a spectators point of view”.
    It goes without saying that from a rider/racers point of view he’s massively inspiring.. getting to the finish quickest is all that matters, style doesn’t come into it.
    anybody remember former WC DH champion Corrado Herrin? 😉

how was the “Dahon around the ‘Puffer course”?. 🙄

nothing more really needed saying after Peachos post on the last page TBH but you obviously want a pointless arguement whether you’re right or wrong (s’pose that’s what STWs here for, eh?)

singlespeedstu

Because as far as I’m aware you don’t ride/race DH simple as that.

No i don’t but I have enough experience of riding long travel bikes (MX/Enduro)to know how a good suspension system works.

And as far as i’m aware you’ve not ridden many if any 29ers for you to form an opinion. Doesn’t seem to stop you trying though does it. 😉

GW
    Free Member

Touche (only, I’ve actually ridden quite a few 29ers)

as for the opinion I aired, I suggest you also go back and read Peachos post.

singlespeedstu

“quite a few” 😆

but you obviously want a pointless arguement whether you’re right or wrong

Seem to sum yourself up quite well there. 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

coastkid – Member

…there are states in the USA called Minnesota and Alaska where folk ride in winter often at -40C … with temperatures twice as cold as the UK.

no, just 15% less warm.

i am a pedant.

GW
    Free Member

nah Stu, not really.

Thing is, I’m right and you know it 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

Been thinking about our slow take-up on the 29er phenomenon in the UK, perhaps is partly down to our liking for big-volume tyres which means we partly get the advantages of bigger wheels anyway.

I switched from traditional XC sized tyres up to 2.35’s a couple of years ago and definately felt a difference. ❓

thomthumb
    Free Member

bike packing/off road touring is becoming more popular here – which seems to be in parallel with the states.

also endurance racing, which seems to be understandably linked in, seems to be taking off point to point rather than 24 hr laps. Kielder 100 is ehat i’m talking about – the scene in the states is swelling year on year.

i have no idea whether they like it on the continent?

singlespeedstu

🙄 @ GW. 😉

Thing is, I’m right and you know it

In your own world you are yes 😆

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Paceman – you obviously have not tried a big volume 29er tyre – 2.55″ on a 35mm rim 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Paceman – you obviously have not tried a big volume 29er tyre – 2.55″ on a 35mm rim

Bet that’s quick off the mark… 😉

Seriously, do you need that much rubber on a 29 inch wheel?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

That’s right my (rigid) 29er has way faster pickup than my 26″ full susser. I remember someone trying out my bike at the surry hills (his ride was a 26″ kona fs) he kept on saying “Christ it just wants to go!! It just wants to go!!”

epicyclo

I’m still trying to come to terms as to this niche stuff. Just to show that I have some experience with different sorts of bikes, here is a sampling of bikes I ride offroad

Pompino

Hammerhead on Great Glen way

Scandal as raced in ‘Puffers, UK Solo 24 Hr Champs, SSEC

Boardwalk goes anywhere

Beltdrive Pompino

Beltdrive 69er (ridden with 26″ and 29er wheels) fork allows trail to be adjusted.

Folding recumbent penny farthing – pretty useless really but bags of fun

Fat Scandal with experimental fork allowing geometry changes

Surly 1×1 as raced in ‘Puffer and SSEC

Fatbike

Groove

So where do I fit? I have tried most combinations you can get with a bicycle.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Awesome array of niche bikes!
    I susPect you actually could claim to know some about being a generally accomplished rider.

Only problem is that you appear to have Ginger dreadlocks and beard thus confirming to singlespeeder stereotype :/

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I think that collection of daft handlebars, daft wheels and daft brakes has completely written you off as someone who knows one iota about bike handling.

tazzymtb

says the man who rides boring bikes made by dull people for plebeians and yet is the world expert on all bikes and every style of riding anyone may ever do as long as it conforms to his narrow world view. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – Member

I think that collection of daft handlebars, daft wheels and daft brakes has completely written you off as someone who knows one iota about bike handling.

On the contrary. Wider experience makes for being more informed.

considering the guff you have stated on this and other threads spokes that yo clealry know nothing about…………..

epicyclo

crotchrocket – Member
    …Only problem is that you appear to have Ginger dreadlocks and beard thus confirming to singlespeeder stereotype :/

Nah, that’s my wee boy. He’s a singlespeeder oddly enough. Has his own Pompino and a Genesis io and doesn’t like 29er wheels even though he is somewhat north of 6 foot – although as you can see he seems to like 36″ wheels 🙂

epicyclo

SpokesCycles – Member

It’s the only way you can test the extremes – unless you’re the sort of person who believes everything written in bike mags. 🙂

eg: The fork on the Scandal can have the A-C varied, this allows various headangles to be tried. The offset can also be varied.

The fork on the cruiser can have the spring replaced with a threaded rod. Winding this in or out allows the trail to be varied for experiments with trail at a constant headangle (there is a minor variation but this can be restored with spacers under the lower headset bearing.

I have done quite a wide range of tests with wheels from 26′ to 29′ on all these parameters.

From this I have concluded that trail is the most important factor. There are advantages to the different headangles depending on what sort of fork you run though. A tele needs rake to function properly whereas a linkage is not so affected.

I agree, I know nothing about bike handling, GW has so declared 🙂

BTW taking a 20″ wheel bike round a mtb course is major fun, but not necessarily a good idea – that much I do know.

The daft brakes are not so daft when you are doing the ‘Puffer solo. They went through the ‘Puffer with hardly any wear, whereas trying to replace brake pads with frozen fingers at 3am costs heaps of time. Factor in the possibility of several such changes as has happened in the past…

The daft handlebars are because I still suffer some partial paralysis from an episode of GB many years ago – they’re more comfortable for me.

Paceman
    Free Member

Love the ride collection Epicyclo, not really my cup of tea but you look like you have fun on them, and full respect to anyone whose completed Strathpuffer.

backhander
    Free Member

Ginger dreadlocks, really? 😯

epicyclo

backhander – Member
    Ginger dreadlocks, really?

Oddly enough no-one makes cracks about that face to face with him. 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

Whyever not?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

6ft plus
    15stone plus
    Not particularly fat and a
    Nice guy?

backhander
    Free Member

Hardly “big” and size is not a reflection of capbility in any case.
    Fair enough if he’s a nice guy though.

james-o
    Free Member

Stu, you have a Jones right?
    GW, have you ridden a Jones, out of interest?
    I think one thing that links people that rate teh potential of 29″ wheels is they’ve all ridden a Jones enough to see how it can be done. They aren’t the be-all+end-all, but they are enough to make you re-think how a bike can be set up.

On the DH side of things GW, i rode a 160mm-forked, short wheelbase 29er a while ago and though i’m no DH racer i don’t think that excludes me from evaluating what makes a good DH trail bike and this bike was quite something. utterly bonkers in design, but it rode in the way any good DH-biased trail bike should with a lot of advantages over a 26″ wheeled bike. Dunno what the point of that is apart from just trying to get across why i have the idea that wheel size is secondary to other factors.

Thomthumb you make a good point on where 29ers really fit into the MTB world imo, ultra-endurance and bike-packing is where they will be biggest. i’m not sure we’ll ever buy into them as a day-ride trail bike, but if you buy a 6″ FS as DH / alps riding is important yet you still want to ride trails all day, the 29er enduro/bike packer will sell to those who want to do epics as well as ride trails all day. so in that area i can see us adapting something that really is booming in the USA.

epicyclo

backhander – Member
    Hardly “big” and size is not a reflection of capbility in any case.
    Fair enough if he’s a nice guy though.

Boxes, started working in security at football matches and events at 16, has sorted out numerous broken bottle and knife wielders, and in honours year of Psych. Also singer in Heavy Metal group. We’re biased, we think he’s nice.

Oh, and he considers anti-ginger remarks as a form of racism…

nicky84
    Free Member

those who want to ride 29ers ride 29ers – they might ride better – they look great

crotchrocket
    Free Member

“anti-Ginger remarks a form of racism” oh I’m sure they are. But they are the ACceptable face of racism.
    Beards are very 20th century tho.

2011 is all about the moustache- in any colour 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘Are UK riders moving further away from US/Euro riding trends?’ is closed to new replies.