Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Are the Russians expecting trouble
  • Harry_the_Spider

600 new fighter bombers

8 new nuclear subs

1000 new helicopters

35 new corvettes

15 new frigates

2 new assault ships

Time to hide under the table with your fingers in your ears?

Shopping list

big_n_daft
    Free Member

compare to the Yanks first before you panic

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They’re probbly planning to invade Britain now they know we’ve got no aircraft carriers and that.

Oh Whell.

Look on the bright side, this means….

…EKRANOPLAN!!!!!!! 😀 Yay!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

And we cannot afford 2 poxy aircraft carriers. What would Putin do? He’d take those RBS bankers bonuses to pay for it.

Underhill
    Free Member

And the thought of the yanks getting tooled up is supposed to reassure us?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And we cannot afford 2 poxy aircraft carriers

Which is just as well, seeing as how ‘we’ don’t actually need them.

35 new corvettes

Wow, how cool is that ? 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well cool!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Possibly true Fred. But what does he need 8 nuclear subs, 15 frigates and 2 assault ships for?

Controlling the Arctic I reckon. So we might those carriers after all.

legend
    Free Member

The people in the Malvenas might disagree with that – hippy 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Controlling the Arctic I reckon.

Lucky we have these then eh?

Oh… err…

ratherbeintobago

8 new nuclear subs

Good job the Government haven’t just scrapped the RAF’s maritime patrol capability (which was mainly for ASW). Oh. Hang on…

Andy

CaptJon
    Free Member

Russia vs China arms race.

Harry_the_Spider

Russia has already ordered two French-built Mistral helicopter carriers, allowing it to rapidly deploy hundreds of troops and dozens of armoured vehicles on foreign soil.

At least they’ve bought French ones. They’ll be back at the dry dock with miltiple electrical faults within a couple of years.

El-bent
    Free Member

I’ve seen Shopping lists from the Russian military before…I’ll believe it when I see it.

If you believe the RAF.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Russia vs China arms race.

don’t think so, Chinese are to busy spending money in the first and third world to secure resources to waste cash on an arms race

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

China is building up its navy…….including quite a few new aircraft carriers.

crazy-legs

PMSL @ Harry_the_Spider.

🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

PMSL @ Harry_the_Spider.

Our Boys weren’t pissing themselves laughing at the sight of a Super Etendards armed with Exocets ……….. I believe their electrics worked just fine

bigyinn
    Free Member

El-bent – Member

I’ve seen Shopping lists from the Russian military before…I’ll believe it when I see it.
    What 2 million kalashnikovs and a years supply of cheap hookers and even cheaper vodka?

epicyclo

Huge oil reserves. Arctic sea free of ice.

Boy with the most toys gets the oil.

geminafantasy
    Free Member

Russians are spending $650 billion on this up to 2020, American annual defence budget $750 billion+.

I think America will have the most toys 😉

TatWink
    Free Member

Agreed!

The Septics are spending and developing like you would never believe….

The Russians spending a few bob on “traditional” munitions is fine, the Yanks will always be ahead of the game.

They have some crazy and no doubt crazier sh*t!!!

PJM1974
    Free Member

The Americans have a military budget that dwarves the UK, China and Russia combined.

The very best we can do is to take 10 years to muster one conventionally powered aircraft carrier whilst we flog it’s sister ship to Indonesia or someone with aspirations of dominating the Pacific.

We’re minor players these days, the sooner we get used to the fact, the better.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

the Yanks will always be ahead of the game.

Well, so Western Propaganda would have you think. They’re just better on PR, is all…

Truth is, both sides are pretty evenly matched. The Yanks enjoy better coverage globally though; undoubtedly a result of their Capitalist dealings with various nations in strategic locations.

But to believe that the Russians are somehow ‘behind’ the USA in terms of military technology, is daft. US military experts know about the reality of Russian military capability, and loads of stuff we don’t. Most of this military acquisition and development is sabre rattling; who’s got the biggest gun…

As for the money involved; Russia has loads of raw materials at it’s disposal, and it’s labour costs are far cheaper.

Both sides are no strangers to having their mighty arses kicked by a bunch of poorly equipped guerrillas, though…

G
    Free Member

Anyone notice the chinless wonder sucking up in the middle east while apologising to our nationals in Libya that frankly we no longer have the ability to get them home. Mind you we’ve mind fecked Gadaffi by mobilising a SAS patrol in readiness. Must be double shitting himself about 4 double hard bastards without a plane to get them there!

TatWink
    Free Member

It’s not about being minor players though because ultimately if you have nuclear weapons you can dine at the top table, for obvious reasons.

So in that respect we are not minor players.

Being a superpower though is different. Manpower, arms, munitions, technology, volume, innovation and guile all contribute to being a superpower.

In this respect we struggle, although pound for pound our servicemen are among the best in the world, it’s just the money that is chucked at it that is lacking.

Given our size we punch beyond our weight and always have, but there are bigger boys out there who more than respect us, superpower or not.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

if you have nuclear weapons you can dine at the top table

Who wants to dine with the Pakistanis, Israelis, and North Koreans then ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think America will have the most toys

And toys are effectively what most military hardware is; it never gets used. The less ‘toys’ this country has, the better.

We’re minor players these days, the sooner we get used to the fact, the better.

Because of this, mainly. Plenty of other nations get by perfectly well without having enormous military forces and spending. As for ‘defence’; who in their right mind would want to ever invade Britain any more? It’s got nowt worth invading for!

Which is perhaps quite reassuring…

allyharp

Just have a look at US 2009 expenditure compared to the rest of the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

RustySpanner

Who wants to dine with the Pakistanis, Israelis, and North Koreans then ?

I wouldn’t mind, as long as the Pakistanis did the main course, the Koreans did the starter and the Israelis did the soup.

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

I’m so proud of this forum that it only took three posts to get to Ekranoplan! 😀

Well done, Elfin.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😀

Thank you!

You can’t have a thread about the Russian military, without involving an Ekranoplan, if you ask me.

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

You can’t have a thread about the Russian military, without involving invoking an Ekranoplan

FTFY, as surely they are mystical creations to be summoned from the Netherworld™.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Fair point, and one well made.

I stand corrected, and hang my head in shame. 🙁

As a penance, I shall post another pic of an Ekranoplan, in the hope that it may absolve me of my sins.

All Hail the Ekranoplan! Bow down ye worthless mangy dogs for ye are not worthy…

althepal

They werent very good at VTOL though were they?!

piha
    Free Member

Introducing the Russians secret weapon!!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTkULHNQNjM[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Eh? The Russkis had their own VTOL aircraft. And space shuttle, although that wasn’t very successful. Neither was Concordski. 🙁

They did create one of the most destructive weapons ever made, though.

eviljoe
    Free Member

I always wanted an Ekranoplan. Do you think they’ve got any going cheap? Maybe the stw massive could club together and get one? Turn a few heads in the carpark: -)

(Wanders off to start a ‘What mud tyres for a 1950s Russian VTOL?’ thread)

atlaz
    Free Member

You can buy your own

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Are the Russians expecting trouble’ is closed to new replies.