Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Are Pink Floyd only for 50 year olds
  • redmex
    Free Member

Do any younger folk like Pink Floyd or are they classed as dull for saga insurance age only
    My two favourite tracks are money and shine on you crazy diamond especially the 5 mins intro.
    Ive never had long hair, smoked dope or wore a denim jacket

Kryton57

Who? (Stan, 45)

epicsteve
    Free Member

My kids (25 and 21) like Pink Floyd.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I liked them more when I was 15 (now 30). Actually they were quite ‘big’ amongst the indie crowd at school, I think they’d just released echoes?

bearnecessities

Who?

Your biggest fan,

Stan, 45

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m nearly 50 and have never considered them part of my generations music.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I had an episode of liking Pink Floyd when I was about 15. I think it’s the teenage anxt/drugs glorification thing. When you get into the funstuff as a youth it’s not enough to ‘just do it’ like responsible adults. You have to wear the whole lifestyle as a badge of pride. Hence rewatching stuff like The Wall and Quadraphenia over and over and over.

But then again; Pink Floyd as a band are awesome regardless. I grew up listening to my dads copy of Dark Side Of The Moon in the dark on headphones, and then being jarred back into reality when it was time to turn the record over.

And then, a few years later, you discover raves and you never think about Pink Floyd again until someone mentions them on a cycling forum about 25 years later.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

No they are shit, no matter how old you are….

gordimhor

Well if you’re fifty you’re just about old enough to remember when. they last released a good album

gordimhor

54 since you ask 😀

jekkyl

And then one day you find ten fifty years have got behind you.

RustySpanner

Who cares?
    I quite like Beethoven and he’s not been well for a while.

Anyway, someone will be along soon to tell you that their musical taste is far superior to yours.

It might be fun.
    😀

bearnecessities

I like Coldplay.

gordimhor

No one told me when to run….

gordimhor

….so I decided to cycle instead..

RustySpanner

A tune?

[video]https://youtu.be/JZkERB6dU_Y[/video]

tjagain

I’m 55 and always considered them pretentious shit

RustySpanner

They say music is a mirror to the soul, TJ.
    🙂

Ive never had long hair, smoked dope or wore a denim jacket.

Have dabbled with all three, but these days, only two.

Kids today eh?
    No sense of adventure.

tjagain

Rusty – indeed. I like loads of stuff but I grew out of the pretentious tosh in the 70s. The only stuff I really have no time for is hair metal, rap and prog rock

yossarian
    Free Member

The more interesting early stuff isn’t so popular.

The pompous stadium dad rock stuff seems to still appeal to middle aged introverts.

5/10

DezB
    Free Member

I like some of the Sid Barrett stuff, but no interest in any of their other stuff. I mean, that album that everyone’s got.. just bland pop to me. Trouble, I grew up with punk, so “Pink Floyd are shit” as worn by Johnny was a big influence.
    Have got a mate who loves em and he’s in his 30s

RustySpanner

The only stuff I really have no time for is hair metal, rap and prog rock

Why?

beecoacc
    Free Member

I like some of the Sid Barrett stuff, but no interest in any of their other stuff. I mean, that album that everyone’s got.. just bland pop to me. Trouble, I grew up with punk, so “Pink Floyd are shit” as worn by Johnny was a big influence

Yet he has since admitted being a fan…

I’ve just turned 30 and my shelves contain more pink floyd records,cds, bootlegs and bits and pieces than any other band. I don’t think they were ever that pretentious were they? I mean I definitely couldn’t sit and listen to Yes or King Crimson

CountZero

No they are shit, no matter how old you are…

🙄

Rusty – indeed. I like loads of stuff but I grew out of the pretentious tosh in the 70s. The only stuff I really have no time for is hair metal, rap and prog rock

Define ‘prog rock’. Like all music, it started as one thing, and morphed into something else, just like punk did, and all sorts of dance/electro, some of which is pretty much prog, almost by definition: progressive, experimental music played by musicians not wanting to be tied to mainstream pop.
    A lot of it was heavily jazz influenced, and just like jazz, some can be great to listen and dance to, while other sorts can be pretentious twaddle. King Crimson have never stopped exploring, Yes got ever more up themselves, then there’s Gentle Giant, Greenslade, Soft Machine, Van Der Graff Generator, all of whom play complicated, jazzy music.
    There was one album I borrowed from a school mate in 1969, and it changed my life, as far as music is concerned, I’d never heard anything like it, and it got me into Krautrock, like Mythos, Tangerine Dream, Faust, Can, etc.
    It was this one:

And it was this track in particular:
    [video]https://youtu.be/KFsKV6VSLNI[/video]
    Still sounds relevant today.

DezB
    Free Member

I definitely couldn’t sit and listen to Yes or King Crimson

Don’t even know why you’d lump them in together! I’ve heard some great King Crimson stuff (though don’t own any), but Yes I can’t listen to 5 seconds without coming out in hives 🙂

Cougar

The pompous stadium dad rock stuff seems to still appeal to middle aged introverts.

Hiya.

I was never a fan particularly. Got the chance to see them on the Pulse tour (just after they’d rebuilt the collapsed seating). Figured, meh, but I might kick myself in years to come if I pass up the ticket.

It was one of the single most incredible stadium gigs I’ve ever been to. Truly, truly brilliant. Gave me a whole new appreciation of them.

RustySpanner

DezB – Member
    but Yes I can’t listen to 5 seconds without coming out in hives

The first album’s really good.
    🙂

tjagain

rusty – why – cos its pretentious twaddle. I was a big fan in my teens but grew out of it.
    “We are the priests of the Temples of Syrinx / Our great computers fill the hallowed halls / We are the priests of the Temples of Syrinx / All the gifts of life are held within our walls”

I saw all the big bands of the time at the long lamented Glasgow Apollo Rush, tangerine dream, Hawkwind, Deep Purple, Black sabbath etc. I find it all really dated now and the folk playing that sort of music now sad wannabees. Its just taste isn’t it

CFH – in the court of the crimson king – OK at the time – now unlistenable IMO. Interestingly they used 21st century schizoid man really inappropriately in a tv ad recently. Just so dated as are the other names you mention some of which I know from my youth.

My tastes in music grew and changed as I got older. I occasionally go back to a bit of classic rock as a nostalgia thing but thats all it is. Its reminder of good times in the past rather than an interesting musical experience.

Reggae blew me away in 1977- opened my eyes to rhythm and melody. Still a reggae fan to this day both old and new. Got a real liking for classic soul especially northern soul. Quite like a bit of trad jazz / bossa nova. Not much time for coltranes type jazz. Fond of EDM in the right place and time. love a bit of lyrical pop. Big fan of daft punk from before random access memories. Like a bit of disco now and then but I guess again its a nostalgia trip

I guess overall it was reggae teaching me about rhythm and melodies that really drew me away from metal and prog. Music is hugely important in my life. my whole house is wired for sound and I often have music playing

DezB
    Free Member

The first album’s really good.

Will take your word for it !!

DezB
    Free Member

i have 2 rules on music threads.
    Anyone who just dissmisses whole genres isn’t worth listening to (unless its jazz 😆 )
    Anyone who can’t recognise the genius in Bjork isn’t worth listening to.

chiefgrooveguru

No, they’ve made some brilliant albums. I don’t trust the opinions of anyone who writes off Black Sabbath, it’s timeless, iconic and massively influential music. I own far more Wailers albums than Sabbath albums.

At work today one of the albums we were listening to was Dub Side Of The Moon by the Easy Star All-Stars. Well worth checking out.

Dickyboy

Have to say pink Floyd have me retching for the off button – 52yr old and never liked them one bit, although listening to a French covers band playing “the wall” without actually being able to speak any English kept me amused one hot summer night

chiefgrooveguru

If you’re going to write off jazz then you really should also write off everything it’s sired – I think that’ll leave you just folk, country, classical and early blues to enjoy.

Or maybe you should be locked in a room with nothing other than On The Corner and Double Nickels On The Dime to listen to until you get it? 😉

RustySpanner

tjagain – Member
    rusty – why – cos its pretentious twaddle

What, all of it?
    It’s a pretty broad church.
    To limit yourself seems foolish.

I dabble in the more ambient and psychedelic fringes, but minor public school boys being serious about Sci-Fi isn’t for me either I have to admit.

Love Hawkwind though.
    You know they’re not being serious, right?

Hair Metal?
    Never been in a rock club in the 80’s? Every single female, especially the ones in tight denim shorts were really, really into that stuff.
    You soon learn to compromise.

Rap?
    Honestly?

To deny yourself the opportunity of listening to some of the most amazing music ever made seems a particularly joyless act of self abuse.

🙂

DezB
    Free Member

If you’re going to write off jazz
    Didn’t notice the emoti then?
    My opinions are definitely not to be trusted, although I don’t believe I’ve ever “written off” Black Sabbath except maybe paying shitloads to see them as old bastards!

ransos
    Free Member

No they are shit, no matter how old you are….

Is the correct answer.

mattyfez

There are two types of music, much like people, there is good music and crap music.

Those who don’t understand this fall into the latter category.

MartynS

Tj, just because you don’t like something doesn’t make it wrong.

RichPenny
    Free Member

i have 2 rules on music threads.
    Anyone who just dissmisses whole genres isn’t worth listening to (unless its jazz )
    Anyone who can’t recognise the genius in Bjork isn’t worth listening to.

Ironically, I can’t stand drum ‘n’ bass but have a lot of time for Goldie.

DezB
    Free Member

As an artist or as a bloke? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Are Pink Floyd only for 50 year olds’ is closed to new replies.