Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Are Pink Floyd only for 50 year olds
  • tjagain

MartynS

I didn’t say it did. I explained why I don’t listen to it anymore.

RustySpanner

mattyfez – Member
    There are two types of music, much like people, there is good music and crap music.
    Those who don’t understand this fall into the latter category.

One music.
    One people.
    One love.

[video]https://youtu.be/l5aZJBLAu1E[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

I had a sudden urge to listen to Another Brick in the Wall the other day. It’s one of those songs that you’ve heard around and about so much you don’t pay attention. So I sat and listened, and I was blown away. It’s so beautifully structured as a piece of musical art, such sonic beauty is amazing. And the guitar solo is simply gorgeous.

Oh, I’m 41.

MrsToast
    Free Member

My dad loved Pink Floyd. He would have been 75 this year. I miss my dad. 🙁

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Anyone who can’t recognise the genius in Bjork isn’t worth listening to.

You are quite mad.

I’m no fan of PF either but more listenable than that Icelandic tosh

redmex
    Free Member

Mrs Toast great to read that post, and getting back to guitar solos Dave Mason a bit posh but he’s good and the bass on Money and the sax and the keyboards although the drummer could be in a ceildh band

MartynS

tjagain – Member
    MartynS

I didn’t say it did. I explained why I don’t listen to it anymore.

POSTED 10 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

You explained it by dismissing it as “sad” and “pretentious”

I grew out of famous five novels but wouldn’t now call them “childish” however they are for children.. do you see the difference

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve still got his double gatefold of The Wall on vinyl. Great album artwork.

Only ever really liked or two of their songs, he had much greater success with Queen and Led Zeppelin.

DezB
    Free Member

You are quite mad.

I take that as a compliment.

slowoldman

OK I’m 63. So Floyd were a big part of my teenage years. In particular Ummagumma and Meddle.

Oh and as for Yes, the Yes Album and Fragile are utterly brilliant.They both get a huge amount of airtime after all these years Chez Slowoldman.

Please be aware, the above are facts, not a matter of taste. So there.

gordimhor

I suppose it was listening to various prog rock bands that got me into this (via punk)
    [video]https://youtu.be/hbfVXCWz9jY[/video]

fatoldgit

loved seeing the Easy Star All Stars

Brain Damage

last year, catch them if you get chance

But PF are an acquired taste I feel, and 1 that comes n goes for me,

But then again I am an old git

bikebouy
    Free Member

Only two albums I listen to are DSotM and The Wall.

Have to be in just the “right” kind of mood for either, but would say listen maybe once a year ..

DSotM is the best in my world, I spent a summer between Uni yr 1-2 sailing around the Peloponnese with 2 girls and 3 lads in a 60ft cruising yacht.. fresh fish, BBQ, beer and DSotM.

Memories are what life’s about.

Edric64
    Free Member

Pink Floyd are great ,punk was and still is shit ,as my dad said for council house scum

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I liked The Wall when about 15 because yadayada but never really got into Pink Floyd, always felt a bit overblown and studied for my ears. That one with that woman screeching over it is pretty good,

Loved Syd Barratt’s The Madcap Laughs.

A more recent band who remind me somewhat of Floyd, of late, – you should maybe check out:

Motorpsycho – ‘Here Be Monsters’. (Vid below)

Also their previous LP ‘The Death Defying Unicorn’ which is a truly epic maritime tale/concept LP, performed with Ståle Storløkken and Trondheim Jazz Orchestra. Criminally unsung, IMO.

[video]https://youtu.be/s9pN_5_Odb8[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, do I have to apologise for living on a council estate as a kid. Makes me and my brothers scum? Never realise that until now.

thomthumb
    Free Member

If you don’t like pink floyd you need more drugs.

Personally there aren’t enough drugs in the world.

EdwardH

For someone who never got over his dad dying in the war he has certainly managed to generate an awful lot of discussion. Though Mr Barrett is another thing altogether.

Floyd are rather good. And I am quite partial to a bit of punk.

It’s all music in’it and as long as it sounds good and has something to say, then what’s not to like?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

It’s all music in’it and as long as it sounds good and has something to say, then what’s not to like?

This ^^^^
    (Country and Western excepted, obviously)

DezB
    Free Member

Well well. From the Nick Cave thread…

Edric 64 – Member
    Never heard of him or these songs ,guess i`m just old?

Got any top music recommendations from your obviously vast knowledge?

vickypea
    Free Member

I really liked Pink Floyd when I was a teenager but I rarely listen to them now. It feels to me like it belongs to another time whereas punk still sounds fresh to me.
    I’m only 48 though 😉

slowoldman

punk was and still is shit

Nonsense. It was a breath of fresh air and influenced a whole new generation of musicians.

tjagain

Punk – lasted about 4 years only tho – 76 – 80. I was there.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Taking my 14 yr old Son to see Brit Floyd at the Sage in Gateshead. He is mainly in to some sort of rap that I don’t know what the genre is but he loves PF cos it’s retro innit! “Looks at Fender Stratocasters on interweb”

Painey
    Free Member

Oh, I’m 41.

Same here and I’ve always rather liked some of their stuff. I very nearly did the artwork for their last album cover too.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Create your own style with a felt tip pen and a Pink Floyd t shirt. considered totally anarchic back in the day

edlong
    Free Member

I used to like them when they first started, but now they are popular sold out, I hate them.

The music I like now is much better, but there’s no point discussing it here because you wont have heard of it.

edlong 13 3/4

(okay, 43 1/4)

andy8442
    Free Member

Rather a narrow market, 50 year olds. I’m 46 and quite like them, so in answer to your question, no.

DezB
    Free Member

Pink Floyd t shirt. considered totally anarchic back in the day

Strange – you woulda thought someone might’ve mentioned that by now

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve loved Floyd since I was 18. I’m now 60 & theyr’e still one of my fave bands.
    So in answer to the OP, no.

Of course they’re shit though, that’s why they’re one of the biggest selling bands of all time. A LOT of people like their shit maaan!

firestarter
    Free Member

I love pink Floyd and have done since I was 16 I’m 42 now.i like it all old and new. But I also like early Peter Gabriel Genesis which is often described as crap. I also like black sabbath and bjork 😉

slowoldman

Early Genesis is brilliant, in particular Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot. Much played whilst prepping dinner here.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m not trying to impress anyone by liking this or disliking that, but I do enjoy listening to some of their stuff.

CountZero

firestarter – Member
    I love pink Floyd and have done since I was 16 I’m 42 now.i like it all old and new. But I also like early Peter Gabriel Genesis which is often described as crap. I also like black sabbath and bjork
    slowoldman – Member
    Early Genesis is brilliant, in particular Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot. Much played whilst prepping dinner here.

It’s the later Phil Collins Genesis after Steve Hackett left that’s iffy, I wouldn’t call it crap, just ordinary mainstream pop.
    I do think that with The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway they were getting a bit to close to the excesses of the likes of Tales From The Topographic Oceans and The Wall, but earlier Genesis has such great lyric writing, dark story-telling with very clever wordplay, and a very British mix of the whimsical, eccentric and bizarre, The Battle Of Epping Forest being one of my absolute favourite all-time songs!

slowoldman

Yes I think “Selling England By The Pound” was their last great album. Genesis with Peter Gabriel produced a wonderful mix of songs covering contemporary issues like The Battle Of Epping Forest and Get ‘Em Out By Friday along with myth and legend like King Canute and the Coastliners and The Fountain of Salmacis.

But then I feel the same about a lot of bands and their output – early albums good, later ones a bit meh. In particular the character changes completely when strong members leave, e.g. Floyd, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, etc. etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Invisible Touch

THREAD CLOSED

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Talking of Genesis, we went to see Mike & the Mechanics last Wednesday.

Excellent gig!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Not for this fifty (one) year old. Dinosaurs

lazybike
    Free Member

They’re not for me…up itself shite. Other opinions are available and mine is by no means definitive.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Yes I listen to Pink Floyd. Yes the psychedelic imagery and simple melodies captured my imagination as a teenager.

Yes I appreciate they’re about as niche as Justin Bieber.

But I just like them.

And I’m 41.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Are Pink Floyd only for 50 year olds’ is closed to new replies.