Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Are my bars ruined?
  • squealer
    Free Member

Went over the bars and the bike landed bars first on some nice big Pyrenees rocks. This is the result. They’re Thomson carbon all mountain bars. Should I replace them?

Sorry about all that dust on my shifter!!!!

Northwind

If you saw the state of my old monkeylites you’d probably shit a brick tbh, they were like Ron Jeremy’s bedpost.

But it’s hard to tell, without seeing up close. THe big patch actualyl looks mostly cosmetic from here but the other one, can’t judge at all. And neither of these opinions is worth very much.

wwaswas

I’d be worried about how much deflection the tube had suffered on impact and whether the inside was delaminating as a result.

br
    Free Member

If you saw the state of my old monkeylites you’d probably shit a brick tbh,

+1

I’ve an 8 y/o old pair that a scarred to heel too, but feel solid.

For the OP only you can make the call – it’s your face not ours…

pyekid
    Free Member

I’ve got a spare pair of Renthals here, if you need them mate.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ruined? Probably not.

Scratched.

jimotter
    Free Member

I have some Thomson All mountain carbon risers for sale on here.
    A few surfaces marks from mounting lights etc but no gouges.
    Let me know if you’re interested.
    Cheers

DT78
    Free Member

I’d replace and downgrade to the hack bike. Have first hand experience of bars giving way. It’s not fun.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I’d ride them without any worry. Stuffed my rsp Carbon bars on a rock – unless you’re a good few mm’s in, and there are Sharp edges I wouldn’t worry. But that’s me

squealer
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll stick them on a different less abused bike and get some new ones.

Jimotter – I need wider than 730mm but thanks for the offer. Mart, I’ve just text you.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Left one looks fine , right one can’t tell. I would lean towards them being fine .

I scratched my carbon bars, rode on for a year or so but after a few more crashes decided to retire them.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Monkeylite SL’s that are probably even worse than Northwind’s. I think they’re actually about 15 years old! Ron Jeremy might replace them, but I think they’re fine. It’s just damage to the lacquer layer, so nothing to worry about. Your frame could be damaged far worse, and you wouldn’t be aware of it because of the paint.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Are my bars ruined?’ is closed to new replies.