Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What's going on with Merlin & Rock Lobster?
  • RustySpanner

Just wondering.

They’ve been selling them off with big discounts for a while now and don’t seem to be restocking.

Getting rid of the brand?
    Just stocking the Merlin frames, which have identical geometry?

New Sadoff designs in the pipeline?
    Would be nice to see something similar but with the ability to take a slightly longer fork.
    The 853 needs more tyre clearance at the back too.

New supplier?
    I believe the old ones were made for them by Kinesis – could just be a change of manufacturer?

They still seem very popular, see loads about – be a shame to loose the brand.

druidh
    Free Member

Maybe a rebranding thing as they didn’t like folk referring to them as Cock Lobsters?

RustySpanner

Got to be careful with rebranding & new decal designs, eh? 🙂

Hmmn, might get some ‘Cock Knobster’ stickers made up for mine……… 😀

RustySpanner

None left now.
    Anyone heard owt?

Might give ’em a call tomorrow and see what’s going on.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Don’t know anything but it would be great to find out as I love my team ti.

superstu
    Free Member

Read on a thread on bikeradar that they were selling off stock with newer models coming out (presumably/perhaps with the tweaks that Rusty Spanner suuggests.

Having said that there is always a lot of b*$5&#ks written on there, so may be no truth in it.

I was tempted to buy one recently but wanted something designed for a 120mm fork and bigger mud clearance. Great value though, so i’d be keen to know for certain what their plans are.

davidisaacs
    Free Member

I had a rocklobster Team Ti, really enjoyed it, light, responsive, used for guiding with http://www.bikingandalucia.com, however after 12 months a major crack developed in the top tube, http://www.merlincycles.com replaced it with 2 MALT 2 frames, cheaper and in my opinion far more inferior.

RustySpanner

Between myself ans Ms Spanner, we’ve had two 853’s (both mine, one got stolen) and an Easton Ultralight model.

We both like them very much indeed.

As I said in the original post (up there) a month or so ago, all they really need is a quarter inch on the top tube, the ability to run 120mm forks if requred and more mud room on the 853. Rack and separate mudguard eyelets on both would be nice.

I really, really hope that they don’t ruin them by:

Sticking a huge seat tube on for dropper posts.

Optimising them for a really long fork – 120mm is plenty – never felt the need for over 100mm myself, but fashions change. 😐
    They handle so nicely it would be a shame to blow it.

Making them too heavy – they really are exceptionally light frames.

Making them too bloody expensive – they’ve proved thay can make money on them at very reasonable prices. I really hope they stick to their guns and don’t start fleecing the buyers.

takisawa2

I had an alloy one year’s ago. Did CyB on it.
    My rse is still numb 10 years later.

To be fair they sent me new decals for free, from the US when I repainted it.

sefton
    Free Member

I asked them last time I was in if they where developing a new rocklobster frame – they said yes

my wife as the steel frame which looks lovely.

I have just rebuilt the ali frame for racing (very light easton tubing frame) almost identical geometry to other ‘xc race 26 frame scott etc’

paint was crap but I’ve ‘rawed it’

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What's going on with Merlin & Rock Lobster?’ is closed to new replies.