• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Are 2015 manitou minutes or marvels forks any good?
  • bimster29
    Free Member

I’ve got that sinking feeling that the CSU is failing on my 2012 Rebas again. Great as they are out of warranty so will cost a lot to fix. Wondering if a move away from rockshox might be in order, especially form reading the issues over new pikes de debonding as well as this being the second time for these Rebas and I’ve looked after them. My choice of fork is limited now as I’m old school,I guess with a 26er and a straight 1 1/8 steerer on qr wheels.

Thoughts please.

deviant
    Free Member

Dirt mag did a visit and review in the Manitou factory in Taiwan, they said it was awesome.
    The sterile environment and quality control really impressed them, I nearly bought some Mattocs recently but went for X-Fusion instead….no preference but couldn’t say no to the deal!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.manitoumtb.com/products/forks/marvel/
    Got the 2014 Marvel Pro 29r, after market are 100/120 I think. Like it, the 15mm bolt is a but special (1/4 turn lock rather than screw in) the compression adjust is nice and service is straight forward.

johnnystorm

My Tower Pros aren’t that recent and perform well. I haven’t done anything other than squirt fork juice on them. The adjustable compression is great compared to locked/unlocked on my Rockshox, I just bung a couple more clicks on if I’m loaded up for bikepacking, etc.

bimster29
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, sounds like manitou could be a good choice as the thought of spending money on a new CSU with rockshox reliability flaws isn’t appealing, despite the reba being a great fork when it works.

Kryton57

Interesting thread, I was looking at 120mm rebas on a German site which also has Manitoba on sale. I wondered also if they were worthwhile.

devash
    Free Member

I’m having the same problem with my 2013 Rebas and was also thinking of offloading them and buying something more reliable. Which sites are good for Manitou stuff?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Manitou forks seem to have good reports these days, although the reverse arch thing makes them look a little spindly.

And whoever decided upon naming their racing fork “R7” really needs a course on British slang…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For the marvel, I reckon it looks fine, certainly not spindly and fairly reassuring at the front end.

eshershore
    Free Member

I have Tower Pro’s on my 29’er and very impressed with them. great damping, rock solid steering. Got them crazy cheap off CRC in a sale, came in about £50 cheaper than getting the CSU replaced (again) on my Fox 32

chum3
    Free Member

I’ve got Tower Pros as well. Bought them at the beginning of the year but only just built up the bike, so only ridden them a few times. I think they’re great, really impressed.

Initially a bit too linear in compression, I added 5ml of oil (release pressure, unscrew cap, add oil, replace cap, pump up – simples!) to increase the ramp, and it made a marked improvement in reducing brake dive. Spot on now…

Gave me the confidence to go Manitou (which was a new brand to me before) again to replace my aging RP23 shock with a Mcleod, which has also been great…

sharkattack

Had to peek in this thread because I honestly thought Manitou were dead and buried.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Can’t help on the marvels or minutes but Mattocs are awesome forks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Marvel Pro’s came on the 29r in 100mm only, great fork running well after an abusive 8 months, one service. Compression is great, damping is too. 1/4 turn 15mm is good and probably the best available once you get used to it.

kimbers

ive got some tower comps on my 29er

easy to reduce from 100-120mm, very helpful tech guys at manitou USA, though as mine were OEM had to source some spacers myself but was very simple (have loads if anyone wants some!)

they compare very well to my pikes for stiffness and plushness, but out of their depth on fast rocky descents, so im contemplating rejigging the shim stacks for which manitou have a lot of info
    http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/how-guide-reshim-your-abs-hsc-shim-stack-687754-9.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just spied my 2 replies near each other 2 months apart…

the-muffin-man

Amazing that Manitou who’ve made shite forks for years-on-end survive, yet Marzocchi who have made some great forks are to close their doors.*

(*I know they had a dodgy spell)

leegee

2014 120mm 29er Marvel Pro here, Very pleased. servicing is really easy and the axle is fine once you are used to it.

JoeG
    Free Member

the-muffin-man – Member

Amazing that Manitou who’ve made shite forks for years-on-end survive, yet Marzocchi who have made some great forks are to close their doors.*

(*I know they had a dodgy spell)

Manitou got bought by Hayes brakes. They also own Answer Products, SunRingle, and Wheelsmith, too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Are 2015 manitou minutes or marvels forks any good?’ is closed to new replies.