Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • road rim suggestions
  • sssimon
    Free Member

Always been an open pro/open sport kinda guy but I’ve just acquired a set of dt 240s hubs (32h rear 28h front) and wondering is there something better out there. I toyed with some Chinese ebay carbon clincers but I’d rather not go carbon as I tend to ride the same wheels all year round rather than sticking on good wheels on a nice day.

Any experience of archetypes, stans or pacenti sl23 (like the idea of tubeless)?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Recent experiences of my preferred builder, Strada, is that the QA on the Archetype has been very poor resulting in them being unable to get a decent build and they no longer offer the rim as an option. They say the Pancetti SL23 is a good alternative though.

Have you thought about going the tubular route? Nemesis rims build a lovely wheel and tubs, IME, puncture less frequently anyway and if you run them with latex in the tubes you can reduce frequency even further. Just a thought.

nedrapier

I’ve got a set of Stans Alpha 340 (on stans hubs) on my Peregrine and they’ve held up nicely for me.

Probably 2,000m miles of: commuting with 2″ balloon tyres, road rides with 28c’s, long road/off road rides with CX speeds and Thunder Burts. They’ve taken some turns on a rigid Swift as well, razzing round the woods: rooty, rocky, staying ahead of mates, riding with no concessions to the lightweight, narrow rims. They’ve not seen a spoke key since the factory, and they’re still true.

On top of all that, there’s not a lot of lighter rims out there, especially ally clinchers.

24f/28r, I’m 70kgs and I [float like a butterfly/ ‘m a massive mincer]*

*delete as you see fit, but either way, I don’t tend to break stuff!

sssimon
    Free Member

Pancenti seems to be a popular choice, no urge to go to tubs, I’ve been the poor guy trying to glue or tape them for customers in the past

nedrapier

340s are c.385g, SL23s are c 420g. Marginal, but then a lot of gains are! 🙂

Plenty of stuff about people bending the first lot of 340s (when they were built to 340g) but the later, beefed up versions have fared much better.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Going by what I’ve built with recently, I’d either stick with Open Pro’s or go Pacenti.
    Pacenti have been one of the truest out of the box rims i’ve ever built, makes life so much easier & seem to last well-I’ve got a customer running a set of SL25’s on Novatec hubs doing some hard work gravel riding, commuting, touring fully loaded etc & have been perfect.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I use and like stans, but otherwise can’t see past Mavic.

All the new trendy brands seem overpriced, many aren’t even eyeletted.

RustyMac

Recently built a pair of Archetypes onto DT Swiss 28h hubs, these built up really nicely no weirdness.

sssimon
    Free Member

in classic STW style I ignored all advice and ended up with 32h from and rear and a cheap set of shop soiled archetype rims (you can see the ding on the front one in the pic but it was £19 off ebay and is going to end up on the CX bike after a summers riding so with a bargain set of hubs and dt comps from Rose bikes the wheels owe me about £210

Built on Friday night over a few beers, quick ride to the top of the street and back again to make sure they weren’t about to explode and then a gentle 100k sportive on Sunday to break them in. Feel good so far, thinking of a tubeless experiment this weekend.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/tEvjYi]20150530_194038[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Strada is alone in thinking the archetype has qulaity issues. Built with hundreds and onlynoneni have to reject. The stans rims while popular are little flexible for my liking. A similarly light rim is the ryde pulse sprint, it stiffer and wider too. The pacenti sl23 is also a good rim and having built with both you will a wheel that will perform better than a similar build with the stans rim. The mavic open pro was a great rim 15 years ago. Times have moved on. Woder rims offer improved ride comfort, improved road holding and a wider rim is a stiffer rim so lateral flex is reduced. Stiffer wheels mean longer spoke life and ypu can safel drop the spoke count too.

Op you made the right choice.

sssimon
    Free Member

Really liking them so far, have been riding Khasmins with 25c Michelin Lithiums for a few months and these have just added to the comfort with no noticeable difference in rolling resistance. Being 32h they are nice and stiff, I have noticed they are quite loud it anything touches the rim, thought I’d broken a spoke on Sunday which turned out to be a stone hitting the rear rim).

Dt hubs are running well, and the quiet freehub is my preference on the road (liking the faster pick up too)

Hoping to have the bits here to try tubeless with some schwalbe ones this weekend.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘road rim suggestions’ is closed to new replies.