Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Apple i phone any good for MTB / computer GPS tasks ?
  • Highlandlogger
    Free Member

Mrs Loggger has been showing off her new i phone all week. Having initially dismissed it, I now quite fancy one myself – any thoughts ?

Is there a good mounting kit/ waterproof case to turn it into a useable MTB tool ??

The-Trail-Builder
    Free Member

I got the 3gs when i could have got the 4 but i didnt like the 4. tbh i thought it looks like a normal touch screen mobile, so i went for the 3gs in black and i love its sleek curved back and feels nice in the hand 🙂 All i did was download the IOS 4.1 software and now has the same software as the 4 now…………

As for the MTB tool its pefrect 🙂 Download all the apps you want like Gps and stuff like on the go repair info apps and a attachment you can get for the handle bars and off you go 🙂 thats what i do, i got the apps- got the bar attachment and a nice ccase with a screen pretecter and its all sorted 😀

Go for it best phone on the market and a good little toy toooo 🙂

DickBarton

OutFront is apparently pretty good

CountZero

There's Viewranger, Memorymap and Memorymap Free, UK OS, which doesn't have route tracking but gives you free 1:10k mapping for the whole UK. Anquet are developing an app for the iPhone as well. iPhone 4 really is the one to go for; more RAM, faster processor, stronger case. I cracked the case on my 3G by dropping it on the headphone plug, the 4G socket goes straight into a steel frame. There is a handlebar mount made by Dahon which is weatherproof. Reviews have said that it can pop open on rough ground, but a thick rubber band keeps it closed, and it's not too expensive, IIRC.
    I've got Viewranger on mine, and as I already had the full set of 1:50k maps for my old N95, it's easy to copy across any maps via wifi, then you can add 1:25k maps OTA, plus European and US maps as well. Panoramic display for Viewranger has yet to be added, but updates are coming all the time.
    Edit Here's a nifty mount I found, a bit of clingfilm over the phone and wrapped underneath if it rains would keep the weather out.
    http://www.fommy.co.uk/view-full-page.asp?skuno=88677
    Correction, it's UK Map for the free 1:10k mapping, and there's Motion GPS as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Apple i phone any good for MTB / computer GPS tasks ?’ is closed to new replies.