Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Apple fanboi? Like bikes? Look at this
  • grievoustim
    Free Member
    ooOOoo
    Free Member

Sounds neat, but who would put an iphone on a muddy, wet MTB?

tomdebruin
    Free Member

W A N T 😉

wwaswas

I can't see, other than the 'share with your buddies on the move' what it does that's different to a garmin 305?

Also, saw this today which seems to do most of it to;

http://gizmodo.com/5605254/liverider-kit-makes-your-iphone-a-computer-for-your-bicycle

which will do gps, cadence etc.

grievoustim
    Free Member

The difference is that you won't have to buy a garmin 305. Hadn't seen that other device – although I prefer just to keep the phone in my pocket and get updates on speed etc over headphones (jut started using cylemeter). The big draw for me is hrm and cadence monitoring, hopefully the thing which you plug into the phone will also have extra battery built in for use on proper long rides

wwaswas

I understand Tim – what I was struggling to understand is how they expect to get a patent on it?

grievoustim
    Free Member

Gotcha Luke.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I presume the patent is on something like the ability to link your group's iPhones together in some sort of ad-hoc network, so you can see what others are doing and also the ability to speak to them with some sort of ear piece.

Obviously it will rely on mobile phone signal and be completely useless in the real world for real cyclists, but I suspect that isn't the point.

All speculation mind.

wwaswas

no worries Tim – some similar comments just gone up on road.cc asking how much Apple will use the patent to try and stifle development of competing products (that are more developments of existign technologies than anythign new – much like th Apple work) give that they've applied for such a wide ranging list of controlling devices.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Apple fanboi? Like bikes? Look at this’ is closed to new replies.