• This topic has 105 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Apple announcement today?
  • organic355
    Free Member

So what are we expecting come 6pm? (10 am US). Iphone 4S or 5?

my 3GS seems to be losing internet connectivity, case is cracked around the dock port and blutooth isnt working anymore, so will be upgrading to something very soon.

aracer
    Free Member

So what are we expecting come 6pm?

Lots of fanbois getting the tissues out.

pjbarton
    Free Member

4s i think – 🙁
    assistant software – voice controlling etc
    new iPods

GrahamS

Iphone 4S or 5?

Both.

nbt
    allthepies
    Free Member

Cheapo iphone 4 (with less memory), 4S + 5.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*lurks*

Tum te tum…

🙂

GrahamS

…and neither will have Flash. 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

my 3GS seems to be losing internet connectivity…

Are these things a bit flaky?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

Are these things a bit flaky?

Depends how you hold them.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Bluetooth? I have NEVER got it to work at all. Strange.

I’m holding onto my 3gs for the time being, the battery is getting a bit crap though but still survives sofa surfing at night time without charging it. I’d rather invest in a new computer so I can blow some terrorists away in BF3!

organic355
    Free Member

^^ Dunno but it keeps telling me “network lost” an awful lot recently, and it never used to.

camo16
    Free Member

You’re probably not stroking it hard enough.

GrahamS

More likely the crack at the dock connector means the main board is getting flexed and is a becoming a bit flaky.

donsimon
    Free Member

The Simpsons?

derekrides
    Free Member

Ooh when? where do I queue?

I hope it’s better than that ghastly Lion OS, my machines never been slower, and my French chum as totally chucked it, uses Windows 7 on a macbook air and you know what after years of being a macboy I can’t argue with him.

Since we ‘won’ computer wars and the rebel alliance is no longer necessary, it’s been perfectly horrid, you even see Fat, Ugly and Bald people using Apple..

willard

The bluetooth stack on the iPhone is really limited and can be solved by rooting it, but to be honest, it lets you connect to headsets so it’s not all doom and gloom. Although it would be nice to be able to connect it to computers or external GPS devices sometimes.

My 3Gs still works well enough, and I am very lazy, so I’ll not be upgrading unless something really special comes out, or if something really bad happens to the phone in the next few months.

CountZero

There are lots of rumours about change of form, slimmer, tapered design, aluminium back, etc, but I don’t buy that. The first iPhone in 2007 had an aluminium back and it’s cellular performance was poor, although AT&T contribute a fair bit to that; see iPhone 4 antennagate fiasco, and a slimmer tapered design compromises battery performance. I can see a redesigned Touch, though, so perhaps that’s what the rumours are really about. 128Gb Touch has been talked about, as the old Classic is being dropped. More plausible, slightly bigger screen on same size phone; likely, up to 64Gb storage, 1Gb RAM, A5 dual core processor with faster graphics performance, 8Mp camera, Siri-based voice control. I can’t upgrade my 4 until next June, so unless I flog it for a good price, I’ll just wait until next October for an iPhone 6.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Maybe they’ll be rebranding to Banana.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m watching this with hope and trepidation.
    my 3GS is 2.5 years old now and is showing its age – battery lasts half a day, screen is coming away from the case, silent button doesn’t work, case has a crack in the back…
    I need a replacement so it may as well be whatever is announced today.
    hoping for a slimmer case and a bigger screen – not much more than that really!

carbon337
    Free Member

I took a chance and got a 4 recently hoping they will downspec the 4 with the arrival of a new 5 or 4s.

Got the 4 for free and a 5 or 4s on a the same contract would have been about £150 ish from past new release costs.

When the 3gs was top dog it was 16Gb then when the 4 came over that they downgraded the 3gs to 8Gb.

Anyway not really fussed as the 4 is pretty good from my expereinces so far.

An IOS 5 release date would be good – im looking forward to icloud.

aracer
    Free Member

my 3GS is 2.5 years old now and is showing its age – battery lasts half a day, screen is coming away from the case, silent button doesn’t work, case has a crack in the back…

So these fancy phones you pay lots of money for aren’t very durable then? Surely you just replace the battery with a new one though? 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So these fancy phones you pay lots of money for aren’t very durable then? Surely you just replace the battery with a new one though?

They are tough as old boots. Some people are just clumsy and don’t look after stuff….. 😛

Battery can be replaced, vids on youtube

brakes
    Free Member

I class 2.5 years for a mobile phone as a long time, given that I have it on me all the time. Longest lasting mobile I’ve ever had. I don’t care about new batteries, I just want a new phone. 😀

clubber
    Free Member

In my 2 years of 3GSs I broke two… Not very durable IME.

Mind you my new HTC Desire S has been replaced after 2 months as it stopped connecting to the mobile network so maybe it’s not limited to Apple…

I should add that my sister broke hers too as did my Dad (twice). I’d never trashed a phone before my iPhone 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

Mobile phone networks have been told to expect two new iPhones and announce prices on Thursday, with the first phones available only in-store on Friday 14 October.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/04/iphone-5-on-sale-14-october

GrahamS

Some people are just clumsy and don’t look after stuff…

+1

**** knows what you lot do to your phones. My missus is still using my old 3GS every day with no issues at all and her old 3G was still working perfectly when we traded it in.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In my 2 years of 3GSs I broke two… Not very durable IME.

In all my years of owning a mobile phone, I’ve never, ever broken or lost one at all. Not even £25 PAYG jobbies.
    Now 1.5 years with a 3G, 1 Year with a 4:
    The 3g had a couple of tiny scratches on the back where grit got into the case, my 4 is utterly immaculate front and back.

You’re a clumsy oaf IMO 😉

masonmarxx
    Free Member

You’re a clumsy oaf IMO

agreed! never lost or broken a phone either! although had a phone nicked at school though…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Until last week my OH was using an 8 year old Sony Ericsson Z600 (colour screen AND VGA camera).
    If you look after your handset then they should last a good few years…..

dogbert
    Free Member

z1ppy

organic355 – Member
    ^^ Dunno but it keeps telling me “network lost” an awful lot recently, and it never used to.

Can I suggest two options:

1) It sounds like what happened to me after I selected my specifc network carrier instead of letting it use the “automatic” option. As I live seemingly miles from our local broadcast tower my signal is rubbish and is lost & found minute to minute – I’d got the error almost constantly with the “wrong” (specific named network) setting.
    Check your carrier settings, go into the carrier page and confirm it has “automatic” ticked and not your specific network. It will say your specific network on the settings 1st page, go past this into the carrier settings page to check.

2) Back it up and do a factory restore. Did this on my g/f old 3G last weekend and it’s come back up and working again, after several months of flakiness & crashing. The backup sotred everything, you won’t loose anything data wise IME.

Though it does sounds like it’s had a hard life, so maybe neither of these things will help.

My 3GS has lasted 2.5 years, and I don’t take care of it much, it has a cover but get shoved in my pocket everyday with numerous keys and other rubbish. Only managed to scratch the screen when I got builders dirt on it, and even so it still usable. oh and battery isn’t great but will only die if I spend all day using the mp3 player – if I do this I know I’ll need to charge it for the late night browsing.
    I quite fancy a 5 but tbh the 3GS does everything I need… so the 5 will need to be impressive for me to upgrade.

tonyd

It always cracks me up when people start to justify a new purchase 🙂

– The screen is cracked (it wasn’t last week)
    – A really important button doesn’t work (not sure what it does though)
    – Battery life is getting worse (lasts 5 mins less than it did last year)
    – etc etc

And usually these awfully inconvenient breakages seem to happen close to new product announcements. This isn’t confined to just Apple kit either, new bike anyone?

If you want to buy something shiny just buy it, don’t waste time trying to justify it on here in the hope that someone will tell you just how much you NEED to buy it.

For the record, I love Apple kit and would buy a new <whatever> at the drop of a hat, I just can’t afford it!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you want to buy something shiny just buy it, don’t waste time trying to justify it on here in the hope that someone will tell you just how much you NEED to buy it.
    For the record, I love Apple kit and would buy a new <whatever> at the drop of a hat, I just can’t afford it!

That’s my opinion too. My dad makes feeble excuses about buying new cars!

GrahamS

Announcement coverage live here now if anyone cares:
    http://live.gizmodo.com/

miketually
    Free Member

Prediction: a bit smaller, screen a bit bigger, shiny in different places.

And it’ll “just work”, apart from in all the ways it doesn’t work.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHUpWuqNHY[/video]

GrahamS
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Apple announcement today?’ is closed to new replies.