• This topic has 41 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Apple and their "updates".
  • zippykona

Do you think that in years to come Apple will be held accountable for their updates?
    I mean in a ppi kind of way where they have to pay money to every device they’ve mucked up.
    All our I pads now run slow and my mac book won’t do face time.
    I have spent time looking up how to sort them out but I don’t really know what I’m doing.
    They were fine before. Apple have made them rubbish. Should they be held accountable?

aracer
    Free Member

Have you not read your T&Cs?*

*rhetorical question, I don’t think anybody has ever read Apple T&Cs, ever

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Yep terms and conditions.

Definately back your stuff up.

Yes it’s annoying as heck losing stuff/data/contacts/money/pics/etc.

Drac

Mine work fine. 😀

zippykona

Not lost anything. Really slow key board , asking for Apple id all the time, screen freeze.
    Drac, that’s because you know where the shift key is.

db

Well the last thinkpad bios update has ‘bricked’ my laptop so I need to send it off to Lenovo. This was after I got fed up with updates to my macbook. The grass is never greener! 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mines fine, backed up all devices twice a week. Not slow nor buggy..

It’s you.

woody74

Ring Apple tech support and get them to help you out. As you have just done a software update you qualify for free tech support.

zippykona

Woody that’s useful, I know how to use a phone!

Drac

Drac, that’s because you know where the shift key is.

😆

hypnotoad
    Free Member

The updates aren’t forced, I’m still running iOs 7 without issues.

However, it’s annoying the way they don’t allow you to roll back to older versions of iOs once you’ve put the new one on, seems a little silly.

I’m not sure what it’s like with google/android, but I imagine you can go back to older versions if you have issues with the newest OS?

simon_g

The alternative, as with the Android & Windows Phone world is that you’ll wait forever for updates to come while your device slowly slides into obselescence. Issues that are there when you buy it just go unfixed.

Not sure one is massively worse than the other really. I tend to assume that a device will be OK for 3 years and anything beyond that is a bonus.

footflaps

Never lost anything with an update. Old HW running slower with the latest SW is hardly an Apple specific issue…..

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I don’t get it myself – at least if I don’t like my Desktop OS I can reinstall the original and cherry pick the updates I need. My 4s is stuck on IOS 7 because I missed my chance to go for a stable IOS 8 with Home sharing ( i hear 9 borks the 4s completely)

GrahamS

(i hear 9 borks the 4s completely)

Fine here (posted from a 4s running latest iOS9).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Likewise, never had a serious issue and I always take the new updates immediately. Have had a few minor issues which are generally fixed quickly and the good far outweighs these.

doris5000

i think i’m gonna wait for 10.11.2 – i’m always surprised when people take a major upgrade as soon as it’s on offer. at the very least it usually takes some 3rd party software companies a while to catch up. But perhaps i’m too old and jaded

(hmm, should probably put ios9 on the old iphone 5 too while i’m about it. bah.)

zippykona

I just hope that the updates sort out the crap from the previous update.

Stoner
    Free Member

*bathes in soft glow from well-behaved chromebox*

epicyclo

I needed to access some over 20 yr old data files recently from my old SE/30 Mac.

Then realised I had nothing that would open them or run the programs that would open them.

Cue much unsuccessful fumbling with emulators… 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

My iPad 4 stubbornly refuses to update to ios9

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I tend to assume that a device will be OK for 3 years and anything beyond that is a bonus.

Thats about what i’ve decided on, with electronics anyway. Computers, phones, tablets. They’ll work well for 3 years, updates will run smoothly etc etc.

After 3 years they’ll either stop supporting them properly (updates won’t work properly, or at all, on phones or tablets), apps will start running slowly (as they are optimised for newer devices). Or you’ll need a major update to hardware (new processor, more memory, upgrade to SSD on the PC or something).

The kit might carry on working acceptably, but from 3 years on, expect a drop off in performance, or a bill for new bits.

GrahamS

My iPad 4 stubbornly refuses to update to ios9

Have you tried doing it through iTunes (rather than just on the iPad?) – that works better if there are any issues with free space etc.

andytherocketeer

The alternative, as with the Android & Windows Phone world is that you’ll wait forever for updates to come while your device slowly slides into obselescence

not necessarily true at all.

mine’s been updated earlier than I expected, by 2 major versions and a few fixes too. edit: and i’ve had to cancel the nag screen for a few days so I can find out if anyone has reported issues, because the update came with little prior warning.

all technology is planned obsolescence anyway.

I tend to assume that a device will be OK for 3 years and anything beyond that is a bonus.

ah there ya go. my old phone has been obsoleted and won’t get updates (although I can side load a newer version). Funnily enough my Macbook was obsoleted too, after barely more than 3 years.

I’m not sure what it’s like with google/android, but I imagine you can go back to older versions if you have issues with the newest OS?

yup. friend didn’t like lollipop so downgraded back to kit kat.
    no idea if a hard reset of an iphone puts it back to its delivered state?

anyway. I though Apple just worked? (except when it doesn’t)

GrahamS

Nope. You can do a hard reset and reinstall via iTunes, but it puts on the latest compatible iOS.

I though Apple just worked? (except when it doesn’t)

Less so these days IMO, but still generally true (as long as you are happy to stick to the Apple-flavoured Kool Aid).

aracer
    Free Member

W10 on 4yo HW here 8)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Have you tried doing it through iTunes (rather than just on the iPad?) – that works better if there are any issues with free space etc.

No I haven’t tried that. I now have visions of my 5/6/7 year old iMac not being able to install an appropriate version of iTunes to do this.

woody74

Reading this Apple warranty page it looks like all products are warrantied for 6 years under UK consumer law. Actually It looks like this applies to all nearly all products. Am I reading this right?

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

P-Jay
    Free Member

I doubt they’ll ever be held responsible – but you need to be careful with updates – I think most people, not just the Apple Faithful great new OS with baited breath and excitement – but they’re usually useless – especially with the Phones – ah it does this, ah it does that – but it’s all hardware driven so really you don’t get much – anyone know what advantage iOS9 is over iOS8 for iPhones older than the 6s? I couldn’t name any without looking it up.

Personally, if I’m happy with a device I won’t change the OS, update 8.1 to 8.2 for example yes “if it isn’t broke” which if of course the Luddite Motto, but instead of getting all excited about a new OS actually read what it’s meant to do, then read how much of it is hardware limited – which when it comes to the phone is usually most of it and ask yourself, will I actually use any of this stuff, and am I prepared to accept it’ll probably use more storage (which costs a fortune with Apple of course) and will probably make my hardware run slower.

They’re pretty well made these Apple things, unless you smash them or drop them in water they can last a long, long time – unless they grind to a frustratingly slow pace because you’re trying to run a new OS on a 4 year old phone which comes with a load of features you can’t use anyway.

GrahamS

anyone know what advantage iOS9 is over iOS8 for iPhones older than the 6s?

Biggest one for me is that the {URL} {Quote} and {Video} button on here no longer randomly crash Safari 😀

(More seriously the new sharing stuff is pretty useful to me, e.g. being able to add images and attachments into emails directly from my Dropbox or Google Drive).

Rio

anyone know what advantage iOS9 is over iOS8 for iPhones older than the 6s

A shedload of security fixes. Whether this matters to you is of course a personal choice…

bartyp
    Free Member

I don’t understand why people rush to ‘update’ their devices, without first waiting a bit to see if anyone else has issues. Why? If it ain’t broke…

I have 3 macs, the oldest being 15 years old. Granted, it’s a bit slow, but it still works perfectly. Not that I ever use it (that needs discussing on the ‘hoarding’ thread!). The two others work beautifully and really don’t need ‘updating’ to an OS that offers no real-use benefits. I’d have to ‘upgrade’ my Adobe stuff for a start, and I don’t see why I should have to fork out loads more money when it works fine for my needs.

Whilst I understand new software to make best use of new technology, I do suspect that such ‘updates’ are in fact a way of forcing people to spend loads of money when they don’t really need to.

mefty
    Free Member

Upgrades have screwed up two of my wife’s iphones so we have moved to Android – don’t expect problems like this on a premium product.

iffoverload
    Free Member

I can’t wait till cars can be upgraded with new software too, they need to run slower 😛

GrahamS

Upgrades have screwed up two of my wife’s iphones so we have moved to Android

LOL. “I burnt myself on a kettle, so I’ve moved to a flamethrower.” 😆

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

They already are?
    Every time you get your car serviced theres a fair chance that there will be new software installed. OTA upgrades are coming as well…….

Unfortunately, most of the upgrades are the equivalent of security fixes.

LOL. “I burnt myself on a kettle, so I’ve moved to a flamethrower.” [/quote]To be fair, its actually pretty easy to roll an android device back to a previous version, or use a vanilla version of android, or cyanogen, or any one of a dozen other homebrew versions of android.

Our entire company started loosing iPhones when the update before last was released, some issue with the (Apple approved) software to allow secure connection to our internal networks. Think they bricked about 500 of them before the email from IT support told everyone to stop!

The android option continued working until it was phased out.
    (It’s mostly managers with mobiles, and managers want shiny, managers want iPhones. Which still don’t actually work properly!)

iffoverload
    Free Member

😆 upgrades iCar, windscreen wipers stop working, headlights switch on and off randomly radio stuck on BBC Wales.. agggghhh

deepreddave
    Free Member

Only have an old nano but have learnt never to update until as late as possible. Doing so immediately when asked inevitably means faffing and installing manually. Not a fan tbh but the nano exchange a few years back was great customer service (if only vw did something similar!).

aracer
    Free Member

Which is of course the big issue with not updating which applies both to iOS and to Android. I suspect it wouldn’t be terribly difficult to provide security updates for older versions, but then people would just stick with what they had which would spoil the planned obsolescence which is at the heart of the mobile device market.

Which also allows you to run a more modern version of Android than is officially supported, which is what I do – not that this is an advantage for Android, where phones are supported for a much shorter time.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

yup. friend didn’t like lollipop so downgraded back to kit kat.

Thanks, a hard reset of an iPhone puts it back to the last version of iOs that was installed, so delievered state is not possible if you do a major OS upgrade. Not normally a problem, but it makes me think twice before updating older devices.

The only time I really upgrade now is if there are apps that no longer work with older versions of iOs or Android. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Apple and their "updates".’ is closed to new replies.