Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Apidura bikepacking bags – any good?
  • steezysix
    Free Member

Looking to get a frame bag for my bike, mainly been looking at Alpkit as I’ve liked all the stuff I’ve had off them in the past. Recently came across the Apidura range, they look really good, decent price, etc. but not found many real world reviews of their stuff. I see Mike Hall and a bunch of other Trans Am racers used them, so I guess they’re pretty good, but just wondering if any STW’s have got one? Ta!

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ve had my grubby hands on them – very good quality.

Will be giving them a test over the next few weeks so will let you know 🙂

somafunk

Not used them myself but WeLoveMountains are using them for their UK to China self supported trip so i imagine they’re pretty top notch.

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

They popped up from nowhere, with an image that they’d been around for a while, but as you say there seems to be very little real world chat, rumour on the street is that, the owner is just some canadian oil tycoon, making a quick buck, by getting well known designs made in the far east.

But I would say that wouldn’t I, seeing as I sell http://www.revelatedesigns.com gear in the UK.

Andy

winston
    Free Member

Weird website – like its built by aliens pretending to be bikepackers. Almost too perfect!

somafunk

Hmm, just had a proper look through the website and the blurb, it comes across as a bit stepford wives but the kit looks well thought out – i like the bar bag with the extra attachment bag.

I find it hard to picture a genuine oil tycoon expecting to make worthwhile money from such an enterprise, or have i missed the irony? – I’ve a mate that works as a seismic geologist or similar (dunno what he does exactly?) for an oil company and he makes more in a year than i can expect to earn in a lifetime.

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

The owner is in the list of ‘Athletes’ Tori

Tori Fahey the deeper story goes like, she made a bunch of money a while back in the oil business, then started galavanting around the globe (by the looks of things on a bike for some of it)
    I guessing she running out of cash,
    I suppose the bit that doesnt sit well with me is. A Canadian having a business in london ( well maybe in london Po box) with no contact info etc…
    But as I said I would feel this way wouldn’t I?
    Andy

rhbrhb
    Free Member

I had a look the other day, it’s nice kit well thought out. Upgrade benefits out of my price range right now given kit I already have amount of use it gets but if I were young single and no dependants so out more I’d consider getting this type of kit.

steezysix
    Free Member

Hmm, I see what you’re saying about the owner – however I can’t see anyone making a fortune in bike packing luggage compared to investment banking!

However there does seem a bit of a disconnect between how slick the product and website are, against the lack of contact information (just an email and mobile number, no physical address) and as you say, the fact they seem to have sprung from nowhere. Decisions, decisions…

iainc

They do look good on paper, interested to hear how they work in the real world. Having recently bought a Revelate Pika from backcountrybiking for my Croix de fer they have a lot to compete against, as the Pika is simply superb

jameso

Andy, could that story read ‘made money, retired early, toured a lot and loved it, decided to make something out of their interest’? Just for balance like : ) As it’s what I’d do if I made a chunk one day..
    PO boxes etc, I’m sure if there was anything unusual going on you’d not be using niche touring kit as a cover.

jameso

Apidura is driving the evolution in ultralight cycling and opening a new world of riding possibilities for passionate cyclists

But that bold claim is a bit off .. 7-8 years too late there!

Blackhound

More with jameso on this. I first heard about Tori in 2011 between her Trans Africa ride and Tour Divide from some Canadians who knew and liked her. She past me when I was dozing near Seeley Lake and rode on from there. My mate met later in race and said she was nice so I am with the looking for something to do route.

I had wondered if the product was made out East somewhere as they have recently announced two distributors to my knowledge- maybe more.
    Don’t forget Wildcat Gear as well made in Wales.

eshoote
    Free Member

Thanks for mentioning my trip somafunk! Tori and co at Apidura are letting me test their kit on my cycle to China:
    It all uses a light waterproof fabric and it’s really high quality construction (despite made in China) its wearing really well after 15 days use. A lot lighter and I think a big step on from relevate and UK based using older fabric.
    Bar bag is huge, love it, have all my clothes in it, needs a big gap from bar to tyre though. Frame bag is great design and been really useful, the zips let in bit of water in heavy rain. The seatpack I sent to Georgia for later but seems clever, sturdy and light design. Top bags don’t work too well for me as I rub legs on them but OK on stem, again watch the zips in heavy rain. Acessory pocket is clever clip on and decent size, with zip, I decide to use my Ortleib camera pack heavier but padded and 100% water tight. Check out pics here

T1000
    Free Member

[A lot lighter and I think a big step on from relevate and UK based using older fabric.] it would appear that Relevalte use the same fabric…..

eshoote
    Free Member

Revelate ones I used on great divide were a heavier robust cordura type fabric like what I have seen from UK companies not like the light Apidura fabric, maybe they have changed?

eshoote
    Free Member

OK my bad looks like they have changed the fabric and is pretty similar now!

T1000
    Free Member

its worth saying that Alpkit use the same fabric as well

jameso

Pretty much all bikepacking bags have used VX-21 for years. Alpkit, Wildcat, Revelate etc. Industry std fabric for rucsacs also.

P20

I’ve got the alpkit koala and I’ve been impressed with it. My mate has just bought the apidura version. I haven’t seen it mounted or packed yet, but it appears to sit more upright, he describes it as a chopper seat backrest in comparison to the alpkit. It does seem to be heavier construction/fabric. We’ll know for definite next month when we head upto scotland

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

Jameso,

For sure it could read like that, and I hope it is, 🙂

steezysix
    Free Member

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a frame bag and seat pack this week. I had a few questions about the product which I emailed to the contact address on the website. Tori (the owner/director/oligarch/whatever) got back to me really quickly (literally within minutes) and was super helpful.

I placed the order just after midday and the bags arrived the next morning, with tracking info texted to me by the couriers along the way. Quality seems really good, nice materials and construction. The designs seem well thought out – I’m loving the frame pack which will pretty much stay on my bike and save me carrying a pack on short rides.

I’ve only done a couple of short test rides with the seat pack to see how it feels when riding and have no complaints, hopefully I’ll do a longer trip with it in the near future. It’s early days but I’m glad I went with the Apidura bags!

eshoote
    Free Member

For anyone interested I have some thoughts on my Apidura bags after 5000km of using them daily and I have an updated kit list for central Asia of what fits in each Apidura bag on my blog http://welovemountains.net/faster-and-lighter-kit-list-for-central-asia/

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Apidura bikepacking bags – any good?’ is closed to new replies.