Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Apart from Willpower, how do you avaoid pigging out after rides
  • Dancake
    Free Member

Like many others, I need to shed quite a few pounds and get fitter. I am keeping it simple by trying to eat regularly and not snack, pleanty of Salad to bulk up and trying not to eat a loaf of bread every 2 days…

I have really started to push on my Work commute and SS'd one of my bikes.

Trouble is the binging is a prob. Did a nice 20 mile loop last night at quite a good pace . At 2 in the morning after returning home, , I ate the following

1 Corned Beef Sandwich
    3 mini scotch eggs
    1 packet of crisps
    another corned beed snadwich

3 more scotch eggs.#Still wasnt satisified and then I couldnt sleep 🙁

epicsteve
    Free Member

I was doing ok after my ride this morning, with only a coffee so far, but I've just read the flapjack thread and I'm hungry now!

Nick

I find that if I stay up late I tend to get the munchies, drink a mug of ovaltine and go to bed early.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Thought you said you had pigged out. Christ I could eat a scabby hourse after a good ride.
    I try to stick to a tuna mayo salad and some serial after. Try to throw in some wholemeal bread with that to bulk it up a bit. Please note the word "try" in there as the cooked meats and cheese often make an appearance whilst making said tuna mayo salad.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AS big john said on the other thread – you will get polarised opinions.

To me – eat more long acting carbs before hand to avoid the low blood sugar level. Afterwards a mix of short and long acting carbs. "Don't let your blood sugar crash and avoid too much sugery sports drinks including those with maltodextrrin

samuri
    Free Member

Were you actually hungry?

Try drinking more water, see if that helps. In lots of people the thirst and hunger reflexes are often confused, especially in those who are not used to heavy exercise.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i ride bikes to justify my binge eating 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I find protein kicks the hunger itno touch, maybe its just psycologiucal though. Whey protein works out cheeper than drinking milk* and does the trick.

*which does make you wonder why people get so evangelical about drinking milk instead when its almost nutritionaly the same, just less concentrated.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Ride your bike more.

Kevevs
    Free Member

pigging out is the best bit!

elaineanne
    Free Member

i used to eat lots of bannanas which helped ( excellent for imediate energy whilst out riding and reduced the hunger feeling , until they began to upset my stomach ? flapjacks now.! 😆

nickc

All that after just 20 miles..?

fatty …

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Always a huge mistake to eat late at night, especially things like scotch eggs and crisps.

I suppose time of day or night getting back from a ride could be a factor in feeling peckish? I usually ride early mornings or afternoons mainly on days off, early evening getting back home by 9 or 10 pm if working that day.

I usually have a cup of tea while cleaning my bike after a ride, on a late night ride I would have eaten well before setting off, not hungry on return. Maybe a nice glass of cold skimmed milk would suppress any hunger for me. I think the important thing is that you stick to a sensible routine of a good breakfast, light lunch and a light sized evening meal, fruit in between if really necessary to fill a gap.

One thing I had not considered when I started riding just over a year ago while nutrition while riding, I then read this article regarding salt and sugar.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/nutrition-homemade-sports-drink-25744

I take salted peanuts and fresh orange juice on my ride, it has made a huge difference and I no longer feel so fatigued during or after a ride as I once did.

Perhaps you need to examine your lifestyle and habits a little closer to find the answer, everything in moderation as they say, I still have a bacon butty, some beers etc..

MrSmith
    Free Member

if you are that worried about you weight you wouldn't eat crap salt and fat laden snacks like scotch eggs and corned beef sandwiches.

warpcow
    Free Member

I'm a little like fontmoss; a 3hr ride is easy justification for a massive chocolate bar, etc. Mostly I've just stopped having the stuff at home. At most you could make a sandwich with what's in my fridge. If I have a lot of food home I will eat more. If it's not there, I'm too lazy to go buy it and just make do instead. Chocolate milk and some nut and berry mix is seeing me fine nowadays.

firestarter
    Free Member

As above of its not there you can't est it 😉

edhornby

+1 samurai

diluted fruit juice is good and check your pee colour (especially later on)

best to have a plan of what you'll eat, something carby soon after followed by some protein later on – and stick to the plan

piha
    Free Member

Tasty late night snacks!! Get stuck in big lad! 😆

bassspine
    Free Member

…get back from big ride, fry everything in the fridge, bazingg!

Freezie
    Free Member

I drink Rego as soon as I get in

emac65
    Free Member

Glass of milk with 2-3 tea spoons of sugar as soon as I get in from a ride for me.Then after I've had a shower & brushed my teeth(to get all that sugar off them) I have a bowl of cereal with a chopped up banana on top,it does me….
    Then again I always have a decent meal of baked spuds x2 with chicken or fish with a few veggies a few hours before I ride.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Opposite to the above advice. Cut out the processed carbs completely from your diet and stick to protein and fat (unrefined) based diet, supplemented by fruit and veg (no spuds). None of the glucose/insulin spikes/crashes, no hunger really.
    Control Insulin and control hunger and weight gain/loss.

jonb
    Free Member

Make sure you have got something healthy already made when you get back. Looks like you are just reaching for convenience.

I normally have a jam or peanut butter sandwich and some squash before having a shower brings the blood sugar up which is why you feel hungry. If i'm still hungry then make some proper healthy food.

Cup of tea, packet of Jaffa cakes. Sometimes Hob Nobs. Not healthy but gorgeous.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So there you go – the full range of answers.

You need a balanced diet and to avoid sugar / insulin spikes and crashes

_tom_
    Free Member

I don't pig out after local rides, so the way I do it is to just not take loads of "bad" food with me, then I won't eat it on the drive home! So in your case I'd just solve it by not buying that sort of food in the first place 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

You need a balanced diet and to avoid sugar / insulin spikes and crashes

Except for straight after strenuous workouts because your body is craving exactly that,it will also help stop you pigging out……

geofg
    Free Member

Like you I tend to eat what is in the fridge.
    If you are serious about losing weight then dont buy the junk to put in the fridge. I have gently reduced from 17.5 stone to 13 over 10 years by being careful what I buy more than what I eat.

oldgit
    Free Member

I find it hard to eat post ride,usually have to wait a few hours before I can think about a meal. Thought that was normal TBH.

Cougar

Rather than eating less, try eating better. Pasta?

(saying that, I just got in from riding and washed down a 12" pizza with a pint, so you should perhaps not follow my example…)

neninja
    Free Member

After our rides we usually end up sitting outside a pub – 2 pints and a bag of crisps – sorted

juiced
    Free Member

I have a spinach and protein powder smoothie.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP sounds like willpower is the issue. Eating right straight after the ride is what you need.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Smoke dope, chill and sleep

tony24
    Free Member

not great for late nights but nuts help with hunger and the slow release energy will help ye apart from that plenty of fluids i find does help.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Apart from Willpower, how do you avaoid pigging out after rides’ is closed to new replies.