Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Road HTII bottom brackets – how long do they last for you?
  • ChrisL

My commuter (which is used for a 5ish mile each way commute most days of the week) has Tiagra HTII cranks and a Shimano HTII BB – probably Ultegra or Dura Ace. I seem to be wearing out the BBs in just under a year or so. Is that a typical lifespan for these BBs on the road? Are there any road HTII compatible alternative BBs that I should consider?

wwaswas

I got one winter out of a dura ace bb.

njee20
    Free Member

I've had 4 years out of a Dura Ace bb, I went to remove the cranks a few months ago, as it's gone a bit gritty, and the end cap thingy has seized in, I wish they lasted less time…

Had the Tiagra one in my commuter bike nearly 18 months and that's still fine.

ChrisL

My commuter's BB is definitely making lots of creaking noises so I don't think it's healthy. I definitely remember changing it last summer or thereabouts. I may take it to an LBS and get its BB shell faced, just in case Kona didn't bother to do so when they built the bike.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The one on my commuter, which is a superstar, lasts about 6 months which is around 3000 miles. Not bad for £20.

Aidan
    Free Member

I do about 100 miles/week and usually get about a year out of a BB. I've had Superstar and Shimano, both seem about the same in use.

nbt

I've the same Tiagra HTII set-up on the CX bike I used for commuting, I cover an average of 40 miles a week on it and a fair bit of that (40%) is off road. It's 18months old and seems fine (frantically touches wood)

alfagtv1969
    Free Member

I get about 6 months, but use the road bike in all weathers. Frankly I think the Shimano ones are a very poor piece of design. In the past used old cartridge BB for years on Cross bikes, I am probably going back to them even with the expense of a new crank. Also trying the wheels manufacturer version of the HT11 but i don't hold out much hope….

bristolbiker
    Free Member

100 miles a week – current Ultegra one is about to die after just about 3 years.

coffeeking
    Free Member

First one lasted 2 years. My SSC one lasted about 6 rides, but I did leave it wet. I'll have to open it up and try to find the cause.

Gary_M
    Free Member

My SSC one lasted about 6 rides, but I did leave it wet.

I don't normally dry my bike after a wet commute, you must have fitted incorrectly.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Road HTII bottom brackets – how long do they last for you?’ is closed to new replies.