Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Anything better than mastic tape for chainslap?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Is there anything better than mastic tape for putting in chainstays for dumbing down chainslap?

Cheers

Ricks

bighairydel

I use a neoprene cover I got free with a magazine.
    Have used an old inner tube before as well.
    Both do the job, the neoprene cover obviously looks better though.

StuF

an old inner tube works well for me

Rorschach
    Free Member

Singlespeed.

scotroutes

Wrapped inner tube has always worked for me.

zippykona

Cut up tyre ,looks proper Mad Max.

simondbarnes

Old inner tube

rickon
    Free Member

It’s going on an Evil Insurgent, so wanna keep it a bit neat, rather than wrapping a tube (which I’ve done on hardtails before).

The chain is about 5mm away from the top of the stay at all times, so continually thwacks the stay.

VanHalen

sticky velcro

velocipede
    Free Member

Gorilla tape

richmtb

Mastic tape does work pretty well. Tends to come in a nice long roll too so you can always redo it if you make an arse of it the first time.

Not that I’ve ever needed to do that

samunkim
    Free Member

Old Inner tube for proper jugaad kudos

steel4real
    Free Member

2 layers of quality helitape (Invisiframe) works well on my lasses carbon hardtail – plus it’s transparent so frame colour maintained.

Or ‘Sugru’ – comes in colours to match frame – I’ve used this in critical areas and it’s OK.

vincienup
    Free Member

Amalgamating tape is the neatest I think.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

an old inner tube works well for me

for me too
    🙄

rickon
    Free Member

So, in the STW tradition I’ve ignored everyone’s comments and bought something entirely different!

Weatherproofing Strip

steve_b77
    Free Member

Gorilla tape works fine

DezB
    Free Member

I think an old Ritchey tyre works (and looks) bestest 🙂 (He even tells you how to make it 😆 )

Although I’m a fan of the purpose made neoprene/kevlar things meself.

demelitia
    Free Member

I used a ‘puncture proof’ inner tube. The outer side of it was almost thick enough to use without a tyre in an effort to make it tougher. Downside being it weighed as much as a tyre.
    I cut long, thin sections of it out, rounded the corners and fastened it on with a bit of double sided tape and a clear cable tie at each end.

It looked very neat and worked wonders.

rickon
    Free Member

I should have said earlier, this is to reduce noise from slap – not protection. There’s already a very good rubber/plastic protection on the chainstay, but it’s hard so it’s makes some great thwacking noises.

ThePinkster

Use a clutch mech and stop it completely?

Or wait for Adventure Tape to come onto the market?

DezB
    Free Member

this is to reduce noise from slap

That’s what the neoprene/kevlar ones are for.

rickon
    Free Member

Can you link to one? The ones I’m thinking of work well on steel, where it just dings around. But on the hollow carbon, covered in plastic I can’t see it making a significant difference.

core

I post this every time one of these threads comes up.

They make chainstay protectors for this exact purpose, they’re not that expensive, you can take them off to clean them/trapped dirt, and they just work with no hassle.

Less than a fiver, and you could probably keep it forever, swapping between bikes: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.RSP-Neoprene-Chainstay-Protector_62877.htm?sku=185249&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg-Tjz-HI2AIVqpztCh01GwHwEAQYBCABEgIY6PD_BwE

Leku
    Free Member

3M amalgamating tape for me. Works a treat.

DezB
    Free Member

Can you link to one?

Like core posted, this sorta thing
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-logo-chain-stay-protector/rp-prod85622

cheeeap. Or logo of your choice for slighly more… Actually I think I’ve got one in the garage you can have. Email me 🙂

dougieb
    Free Member

The marsh guard slapper tape is good – https://www.pinkbike.com/news/marshguard-slapper-tape-review-2016.html

It’s just rebranded 3M 2228 tape though, which is cheaper.

pb2

Ok its only my opinion but I have tried everything listed and its got to be amalgamating tape, everything is second best

SirHC

3m 2228, clean the frame and apply a couple of layers. Other option is 3m velcro (it sticks, unlike the cheap copy stuff you can get)

kayak23

this…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It’s going on an Evil Insurgent, so wanna keep it a bit neat, rather than wrapping a tube

Overthinking/overspending option? Luckily they cater for it 😉

https://eu.evil-bikes.com/products/insurgent-frame-protector-kit

rickon
    Free Member

Overthinking/overspending option? Luckily they cater for it

https://eu.evil-bikes.com/products/insurgent-frame-protector-kit

Yeah, that’s already on the frame, it’s pretty hard rubber so the noise is pretty loud! It does a great job of protecting the frame, just not reducing noise.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Self amalgamating tape for me, best of all the options.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s already on the frame, it’s pretty hard rubber so the noise is pretty loud! It does a great job of protecting the frame, just not reducing noise

Ouch. For that price I’d want muffling included. Niche product #1274: Colour-matched Evil Insurgent frame protector protector and muffler. To protect and muffle the proprietary protector in style 😆

PS old inner tube, Neoprene wrap or that Velcro option FTW.

rickon
    Free Member

Use a clutch mech and stop it completely?

Can you still get non-clutch mechs?

It’s the top chainline thats the issue, which isn’t under tension with the mech, I’d need an idler pulley to stop it fully.

rickon
    Free Member

Popped some foam insulation on, pretty quiet, but looks really awful and soaks up water.

Mastic tape, looks factory… But doesn’t seem to reduce the slap noise from the chain. How many wraps do you guys use?

Ill try to double up with a chainstay protector too, and see if that helps…

tony07
    Free Member

Heavy duty velcro. Loop side

frogstomp
    rickon
    Free Member

That Chaintamer looks amaze.

The problem is… It’ll probably not fit on the Insurgent when the chain gets this close to the stay..

Speeder

Sir HC – Member
    3m 2228, clean the frame and apply a couple of layers

+1

With Self amalgamating tape a close but less elegant/more unsightly 2nd

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Anything better than mastic tape for chainslap?’ is closed to new replies.