• This topic has 65 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Anyone waiting for a 2013 Canyon delivery?
  • toyrobot
    Free Member

I’ve got a Strive on order that was estimated for delivery last week. I contacted Canyon last week because something come up and I wanted to be sure someone was in if the bike turned up. I was told it was ready for pick up by UPS and that I’d be emailed a tracking number when that happened. I’ve still not heard owt.
    I’m not worried or pissed off, just curious if anyone’s got theirs yet or if anyone is in the same boat?

patriotpro
    Free Member

I was told it was ready for pick up by UPS and that I’d be emailed a tracking number when that happened

Not waiting on anything from Canyon but;

Assuming this a week on from when they sent you that message, I would contact them asking when it will be collected, I would have thought they have collections at least once a week…

PS – good choice of bike 😉

toyrobot
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve emailed them asking – no reply. And I’ve called them a few times, never had anyone answer the phone but I’ve left a message. If I believe what I read online then the UK ‘office’ is in fact one bloke, so I guess he has a lot to deal with around now, if the first batches are coming through.
    Still, it’d be nice to hear back.

toyrobot
    Free Member

Got an email from Canyon today – bike delivery has been delayed until the last week of the year (which I take as meaning early next year). Reason given – “the delivery date of a main component was not met by our supplier”.
    It’s out of their hands then, I guess, but it’s not the best way to begin a customer/brand relationship and isn’t the German Reliability I’d heard about.

mrelectric

Humm, they are not always very responsive, though can be helpful in bursts.
    When you do get it, check the pivots (and headset) are properly greased.

toyrobot
    Free Member

check the pivots (and headset) are properly greased

It sounds like you might have a bad experience in this department???

mrelectric

I had been very happy with the Nerve AM 9 HS I got in July 2011, and Canyons’s Uk support.
    I took the shock off for service and found the bearings were shot after less than a year, with play esp. in the lower chainstay drive side main pivot. I sent the frame back from them to check this(and take off the rusted Hammerschmidt for SRAM to look at & decline a warranty claim; another story). Canyon said it was all in spec and returned it after 4 weeks or so (!)but then sent me a set of new bearings FOC. When I got it back and spent hours checking the bearings & putting on new heli tape, I found a slight crack starting in the lower drive chain stay. The lower pivot assembly also did not match the technical drawing they’d sent also, which the might have contributed, as may have the lack of grease, for which there was little evidence.
    At this stage they offered to send me a new 2012 frame (in another colour, but hey), which is a fair and reasonable response. I need to destroy the old one.
    I will be adding grease to ALL the bearings in this one for UK conditions. Just need to find what type of heli tape looks any good on an anodised mid-matte black frame!

DT78
    Free Member

Cancelled my canyon order as it kept slipping. Went with rose in the end.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Mate of mine ordered a bike from Canyon on Friday ! It arrived today apparently . Looking forward to screwing it all together …..

toyrobot
    Free Member

I considered canceling my order, but I was just being petty and would regret it as I’ve had my heart set on the Strive since a friend got one two years ago – delivered on time and has been great ever since. I wish I could say the same.
    It does strike me that their email to say it was ready and waiting pick up was obviously a little white lie that didn’t work out for them. Not good.
    I might get my lbs to go over the bearings etc when it eventually turns up.

Pukeko
    Free Member

@toyrobot ; I’m very tempted with a Strive, nearly clicked the buy button last night. I would be very interested with your opinion of bike when it arrives.

toyrobot
    Free Member

@Pukeko – will do, but don’t hold your breath.
    My friend who has one is a very aggressive rider – his other bike is one of Steve Peat’s old V10’s. He’s got nothing but good things to say about his Strive. It’s stood up to his abuse but it also seems to climb and pedal better than it’s travel and burliness should allow.

warton
    Free Member

I’m tempted too.

haven’t had an MTB for a couple of years. Can’t make my mind up if I want one to race, or to have fun on. If I decide it’s too have fun on, I’m getting a strive…

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’m very tempted by the Strive AL Race with XX1 – was unsure why the ‘lesser’ XTR equipped SL has Crossmax SX wheels, but am guessing it’s because the DT 240s on the Race will accept XX1 cassette.

A little apprehensive about the cost of a replacement XX1 cassette though so maybe would need to change the chain every month!

carrozray
    Free Member

I am waiting for a Strive AL Race. Week 45 was the original date. Then 48 and now this week 50.I have had the main component not met by our supplier email.I have a feeling there will be another delay.

It could well be the availability of xx1 components as most shops only have certain xx1 bits for sale. Cranks, chain rings and RD’s seem readily available but cassettes and shifters have delivery date unknown on a site I use a lot.We will see.

If you get yours and fancy trying it in the Alps check out http://www.lescarrozski.com

toyrobot
    Free Member

My Strive arrived yesterday – well ahead of the revised week 52 delivery.Got an email from Canyon saying that it would be with UPS within 48hrs but it was not only with UPS but also with me within that time. Got it built up last night but didn’t have time to get it outside.

Couple of pics here

http://tyredout.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/shes-here.html

carrozray
    Free Member

Glad to hear your Strive has arrived and it looks like mine will be here sometime next week. It will then be left in its box until next April or until the snow has gone.

bigpole
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 bikes from Canyon a MTB (2013 Yellowstone 29er ) and a road bike. I waited for both to be IN STOCK, ordered them and they turned up in 5 working days of order. perfectly set up gears/saddle/suspension dead easy to put together. I have no problems at all. The amount of money you save and the quality of parts means they are well worth considering. they even cater for 6’6″ giants like me!best advice is to wait until they are shown in stock. this is updated at least weekly.

toyrobot
    Free Member

First ride on the Strive today. Nothing big, certainly didn’t get close to needing all that travel. Just taking some time to play with suspension settings, control position and all that ‘new bike’ jazz.
    First impressions are very good. The geometry and ride position were instantly comfortable to me – previously I’ve been on a Commencal Meta 5.5 for about 6 years. Coming from Fox suspension with minimal adjustments it’s a breath of fresh air having the CTD controls front and back, I appreciated the Climb option, especially as the tires supplied are far from pedal friendly and will have to be swapped asap. An Ardent at 2.4″ on the back and a Minion at 2.5″ on the front = DH friendly but far from trail appropriate. My wee legs were fare puggled and when I swapped for a quick go on a friends Alpine 160 with 2.2 conti rubber queens front and back, the difference in terms of rolling and pedaling, on a similarly built and sized bike, was very noticeable. I also stole the boobars from my Demo to swap for the supplied RaceFace bars, that although wide(ish) aren’t quite as wide as what I’ve been using.
    I’m more than happy to make those sorts of changes and don’t see them as worthy of complaint. We’re all different and those are the sort of changes that most riders would make, this way or that, to most new bikes.
    So far, with the little use the bikes had, I’m happy. Everything seems to work as it should, the bike looks to be put together properly. Obviously any niggles will come to light in time but at the moment, it’s a thumbs up from me.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Love mine, seems very competent an no heavier than the Trek fuel it replaced. I really wanted a Slash 9 but the cost difference meant the trek made 0% sense.

Swapped the bar and grips and changed the brakes to my xtr’s and swapped the tyres for Hans Dampfs, it’s brilliant!!

jonnyseven

Similar delay here but still no news on shipping date, it was moved back to week 50 awaiting a part – hopefully the same one that is now in stock to have shipped yours. Moving from riding meta’s for a long time too so it’s good to read that you get on with it.

b45her
    Free Member

i ordered the strive AL 8.0 and it got to me exactly when they said it would, as has been mentioned above though it was in stock.
    I’ve only ridden it twice but early impressions are its a very capable bike, climbs just fine but i too ditched the heavy assed tyres for some lighter schwalbes, the OE tyres will be kept for uplift days.

toyrobot
    Free Member

Disaster has struck.
    Took the Strive for it’s first real test of suspension, up a local hill today. Straight away, on the descent, I could feel and hear a knocking from the rear shock when at the top of it’s travel. Very similar to when a bushing would go on my commencal. Then, a few moments after noticing this, I lost all damping on the shock. CTD and rebound have no effect and the shock is just a very quick bouncing spring now, and no good what so ever.
    So this is a test for Canyon’s after sales service. A polite and friendly email has been sent. I’ll keep you posted on what happens next…

Twin
    Free Member

So far so good on the Canyon Customer service front: my reverb started leaking air, so I emailed them. Had a reply the same day saying they had contaccted SRAM, arranged for it to be received by them & could I pack it up and send it to Fishers. They have refunded postage and kept me updated. email is by far the best way to deal with them, you can never get to speak to anyone on the phone.

toyrobot
    Free Member

I’ll keep you posted on the shock front. I agree on the email. Contacted them a few times and always had a reasonably speedy response but have never had a phone call answered.

patriotpro
    Free Member

That’s terrible luck after all the wait – Hope you get it sorted fast…

toyrobot
    Free Member

I can definitely vouch for the above comment about not bothering with calling them. As I have a two week christmas break coming that I want to spend biking, not looking at a non working bike, I called Canyon UK this morning rather than sitting back and waiting for an email reply. I spent 45 minutes hitting redial, God knows how many calls that is but I still didn’t get an answer.

It’s difficult not to be a little pissed off at that.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I’m not sure why they even have a phone number, I gave up ringing it when I had a problem.

weeksy

And here in one easy thread is “Reasons not to buy a Canyon”

Look above 🙂

toyrobot
    Free Member

I’m still of the opinion that the money I saved more than makes up for this – hopefully I will be of that opinion when it’s all sorted out. My friend who got his Strive two years back had an issue with his forks and they sent a new pair to our lbs which were fitted and the old ones sent back on Canyon’s dollar. Hopefully I’ll be sorted out as smoothly. Eventually.

weeksy

toyrobot – Member
    I’m still of the opinion that the money I saved more than makes up for this – hopefully I will be of that opinion when it’s all sorted out. My friend who got his Strive two years back had an issue with his forks and they sent a new pair to our lbs which were fitted and the old ones sent back on Canyon’s dollar. Hopefully I’ll be sorted out as smoothly. Eventually.

How much money does it need to be to be worthwhile missing a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks riding…

Of course, this can happen with any LBS… but your LBS can give you a loaner, or fix with parts they have there etc etc.

toyrobot
    Free Member

A grand or two should be more than enough and that’s the sort of money I’ve saved on the build. I get your point but it’s not my only bike, so I’ll not be missing any riding – I’d just have liked to have been on the new one.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

And here in one easy thread is “Reasons not to buy a Canyon”

Look above

Best bike i’ve ever owned, easily. There is no way Trek, Specialized etc is worth twice as much (to me).

atlaz
    Free Member

To be honest their factory shop is huge and has loads of staff but isn’t that easy to get served in. I’d expect they’re the same answering phones and emails. That said, the shop has a bar so you can get a beer while you wait.

toyrobot
    Free Member

The number and email don’t go to the shop in Germany. As a UK buyer you go through the UK contact which I believe is one lone man. To be fair emails are ‘answered in one working day’ so he’s still within time. Just be nice if the phone number wasn’t a journey to nowhere.

I’ve been very let down by a major bike brand bought through my LBS, I spent an entire summer without a bike whilst the major brand tried to find a replacement frame after mine cracked. It was only after months of emailing, getting gradually less friendly that an almost impossible to find medium was located and sent out. So I’m afraid that the idea of spending thousands more on a known brand through the LBS guaranteeing instant repairs/replacements is, in my experience, not as black and white as some might like to think.

andyl46
    Free Member

My carbon 29er is en route, a week early. UPS reckon made it from Frankfurt and it’s just left Barking 13 minutes ago, allegedly!

stanleigh
    Free Member

My mates Torque Alpine turned up on time today…..

compkiler
    Free Member

Thats really unlucky ToyRobot but i like your thinking tbh, as you have said, it could have happened with any new bike…

I will be ordering my 29r just after christmas anyway 🙂

Im going for the Grand Canyon CF SLX 9.9 for next seasons racing!!!

somafunk

ToyRobot : If you don’t manage to get a response from canyon it may be worth getting in touch with mojo or tftuned to let them give your shock and/or forks a check over and get you back riding before xmas – it sounds like a blown ctd damping unit or it may be something as simple as a sticking blow off spring, sticking shim stack, or trail adjust needle. One of the benefits of letting these peeps check your shock or fork over is they’ll be able to personalise the settings for you, and despite the exotic price of these components to begin with they are produced on a production line and as such mistakes can be made, swarf can be left inside etc, it could be worth your while in the long run to get them to strip, check over, fresh oil and set-up your suspension for your weight/style etc.

toyrobot
    Free Member

I’ve got every confidence that Canyon will be in touch asap with a solution. I assume their UK rep is busy with the first 2013 bikes going out. I already thought about a tune from Mojo and if Canyon end up sending my shock to them I might see about paying for that on top of whatever needs done on Canyon’s dollar.
    Everything I’ve read suggests Canyon’s service policy is pretty bang on so I see no reason to believe this case will be any different. And to be fair to Canyon, and to point it out to the nay-sayers, the fault seems to be with a fox component.

I’ve got to say that although I’ve posted a bit on here before this is the first time I’ve actually had much response and it’s great to speak to like minded folks out there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Anyone waiting for a 2013 Canyon delivery?’ is closed to new replies.