Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Anyone using fox 140 mm forks with a standard QR ?
  • justa
    Free Member

Trying to decide between a fox float or rs rev – there is limited reviews on the newer floats with a QR but most seem to suggest that the fork is too flexi without a 15mm axle – is this the case or am I being swayed by marketing/magazine hype ? Just thinking maybe rs revs would be better in standard qr size…

PJ266
    Free Member

I used 140 vanillas with QR for two years, wouldnt say they were noticably flexy tbh. Im using Pikes now, Maxles are better but not worth paying a big premium for.

woodsman
    Free Member

Yes, 140 Vanillas on my 5 spot – great!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Marketing and hype. My 160mm QR fork is fine (and I ride 20mm 140mm forks on another bike for comparison). I would go 20mm in the future though, more to future proof myself than anything else.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone using fox 140 mm forks with a standard QR ?

Yes. I'm not buying new forks and wheel(s) just cos the mags/manufacturers say I should.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. 140mm Vanillas, Hope XC hub with (SHOCK! HORROR!) a Hope Ti QR through it.
    It's fine.

20mm axles are noticeably stiffer, but there's nowt wrong with a QR really.

z1ppy

if you have a Pro II front wheel, you could always get some 9mm bolt thru converters for it, and a 9mm bolt thru QR – 'feels' better no idea if it is though

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah got floats and talas in qr and are fine

justa
    Free Member

Nope have dt Swiss 240's – thanks for replies so far

cynic-al
    Free Member

is this the case or am I being swayed by marketing/magazine hype ?

The latter.

I'm on QR/130mm forks, I have not died or failed to enjoy my riding. Like tree says tho if I was buying wheels and forks I'd go 20mm (15 seems a waste of time to me)

kimbers

i think you can upgrade the 240s as well?

would make sense as dtswiss make 9mm thru axles!

justa
    Free Member

Lol see my post further down !

kimbers

yep u want some of these
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU309Z00-Dt+Swiss+240S+Thru+Bolt+Rws+Adaptor.aspx?sc=FRGLUK&cc=GBP

ive done it on my foxes and you notice the difference when landing jumps at awkward angles or hitting very rocky terrain etc

retro83
    Free Member

Had a scare with 140 qR revs, wont use qr now. Sold them at a big loss and got pikes instead

cynic-al
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    wont use qr now.

Why not?

poppa
    Free Member

What was the scare?

retro83
    Free Member

Because my wheel almost come out under heavy braking. If it had i think i would have been badly hurt. One of my mates broke his neck from a fork failure when i was younger 🙁

angryratio
    Free Member

Yep…
    zochi 44's They seem to have heavily cowled dropouts and to be honest side by side comparison with a set of pikes in our household it's hard to find a tangible difference.

poppa
    Free Member

Sympathy for your mate. I use hex skewers, and they have never even remotely come loose.

retro83
    Free Member

Actually i did, and had epic fail with those too. Probably i'd done them up too tight after the first incident. Under cornering the end of the bolt pinged off!

chakaping
    Free Member

Reviewers probably overstate the difference a bit, but if you can afford the 15mm or 20mm axle versions then I'd say you'd appreciate the benefits.

If not, you'll still have fun with a QR fork.

cp

i use a max 140mm fox talas and it's fine with QR. i can notice the flex at 140 compared to 100mm, but it's not that bad and isn't enough to ping me off line/off the bike. never had a QR come loose (Hope stainless). I also use a 203mm front disc… never tried a Maxle or similar.

pdV6
    Free Member

Had am 09 Talas with 9mmQR and it was fine.
    Now have a 10 Float with 15mm and it's noticeably stiffer but as I say, the 9mm on the Talas was fine.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah I have 09 Fox 140mm forks on my Zesty, was planning to swap in maxle- lite 09 Revs I also had along with converted 20mm wheel but I've never noticed it being flexy so have left the Revs on another bike and converted the 20mm wheel back to QR on the Zesty.

juan
    Free Member

Why would it be "wrong/bad"? You'll be fine…

nickc

I wouldn't use a QR anymore, but it's not travel related.

dasnut
    Free Member

Standard QR on mountain bikes = FAIL (road bike technology)

what is your rush about getting the wheel out anyway?
    Why wouldn't you want more direct steering and a stiffer front end?

when there was no option , fair enough, but get with the times\technology people

(if you don't ride fast enough to feel the bike flex, and like getting your wheels out quick, ignore the above)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Got some magura menja's, a whole other world of stiffness compared to other QR forks 😀

And no chance of the axel poping out,
    a) shimano XTR QR's
    b) the cowels are mahoooooooosive, the end of the QR practicaly has to come off to get the wheel out!

Would go bolt through next time though. Had a set of 130mm Z1's and they were brutally stiff. But about 3lb heavier so they should be!

momo

I've got some '07 TALAS with QR, using with a Hope Bulb and hope Ti QR skewer, don't find them to be overly flexy, but I haven't tried 15mm ones for comparison.

trail_rat
    Free Member

(if you don't ride fast enough to feel the bike flex, and like getting your wheels out quick, ignore the above

nice sweeping statement ….

Somepeople just get on with riding regardless of kit ….

id have no qualms riding 140mm QR forks – if your riding slow enough to have time to think about the flex then get your finger out and get on some skills days 😉

im comparing my experiances on forks from 07 sids , 09 sids , reba 29ers , monster TS (you wont find a stiffer fork im sure of it ) , 888s , boxxers x, Xvert DCs and all sorts of other old forks – i guess its a being used to the old stuff – RST hi 5s and marzocchi z1 bams (those were ace but were flexy i dont care what anyone says – at the same time it never hindered my riding at all)

dasnut
    Free Member

I've got some '07 TALAS with QR, using with a Hope Bulb and hope Ti QR skewer, don't find them to be overly flexy, but I haven't tried 15mm ones for comparison.

nice balanced view then

trail_rat – I bent the arch on a pair of original orange z1's – would I have done it if they were bolt through? more than likely not.
    A big list of old forks proves nothing, other than technology has moved forward, as has the speed and capability of mountain bikes – Do motorcross bikes have a slim quick release mechanism?
    Are you happy with a system that in some peoples opinion combined with disc brakes can undo?
    Well why use standard QR then?
    I can't see the sense in it when there are alternatives.
    Lets be honest, another couple of years or so (we already have 2 non-QR standards – 15mm, 20mm) you won't be able to get standard QR wheels or forks anyway. Then where will you be? Riding a hybrid on a tow path, most probably

trail_rat
    Free Member

i bent my monster Ts – if you try hard enough you will break anything …. them being 20mm or not wouldnt have mattered …. i snapped the hi5s as well -20mm wouldnt have helped there either ….

its great there is an option but not all of us NEED 20mm or 15mm …. Im from a downhill background – there 20mm/15mm has a market … i now race xc and 24s to fairly high pace and wouldnt use anything but QR for that …..

Now if i was specing an all mountain bike for my self it would have QR forks because i dont believe all the hype about disks ripping wheels out – frankly IMHO it cant happen unless your wheel has come loose due to lawyers lips …if a fork hasnt got them i wouldnt ride the bike period …. i do know some xc racers file them off – this would give rise for the wheel to come out under braking im sure

dasnut
    Free Member

Now if i was specing an all mountain bike for my self it would have QR forks because i dont believe all the hype about disks ripping wheels out

so, all things being equal, given the choice between 15mm, 20mm and standard QR, you would chose QR? why?
    because you can get your wheels out quicker? Because its cheaper? Lighter?
    please explain as I really don't understand a conscious decision to do that, and more than that, advising other people to take that route (who might not be racing xc or 24s)

trail_rat
    Free Member

lets me put the bike in the van easier if i wish to sleep on the left side of the van

justa
    Free Member

lol – i don't race 24s or xc but I'm not exactly a big hitter..

chakaping
    Free Member

Maxles are quicker to remove than QR skewers, for my clumsy fingers at least.

dasnut
    Free Member

so no good reason then.

cheers.

MrOvershoot

chakaping – Member

Maxles are quicker to remove than QR skewers, for my clumsy fingers at least.

Have to agree, & no silly making sure the wheel is centred either. Its fine on my road & CX bike but with my weight & rocky stuff I'm much happier with Maxle kit.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have qr hubs. Good deals on qr forks ATM. Shimano skewers seem as safe as houses .

Northwind

OK, this is slightly unhelpful as my comparison is QR and 20mm Revelations, not Foxes. But, it's a pretty good comparison. I used to have QR 130mm revelations on my Soul, which were briefly replaced with Maxle 140mm revelations. Same wheel, frame, etc, in fact the only components that changed were the fork, and the adaptors in the wheel.

Yep, the maxle one was stiffer. The difference is there if you think about it… But once on the trail, I just didn't think about it, both forks got on with the job fine. People said "Oh, you'll never go back to QR"- after a couple of months, I did, and it's absolutely fine. The difference just isn't big enough to get worked up about, and in the final analysis I don't think it make any actual difference to my riding.

The big bike has a maxle in it, since the newer revelations don't carry much weight penalty for it there didn't seem much reason not to, but I'd be happy enough with QR in that I'm sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using fox 140 mm forks with a standard QR ?’ is closed to new replies.