Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone used "The rug doctor"?
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Carpets need a clean – professional wants £150, Rug doctor will be £20 for machine plus the detergents. Is it the no brainer that i am arguing with the missus?

glenh
    Free Member

£20 for a highly trained gynaecologist seems like a bargain to me.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

eh?

jon1973
    Free Member

I'd be interested to see the results. We have a very dirty rug in the hallway.

(Statement applies to either of the first two posts)

jon1973
    Free Member

eh?

A very tenuous innuendo of the word 'Rug' I think.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I've used the Rug Doctor.

Impressive results. You'll probably need a day to do the house. Be prepared to be shocked if you've never cleaned them before.

It should come with attachments so you can do the furniture and car if you want as well.

grim168
    Free Member

I too have used one. Hired it from our local morrisons. Its hard graft but does a good job. Only done carpets, not furniture.

Graham

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

As grim168 said. We hired one from Morrisons, now I thought we were fairly clean, we have a mutt & a moggy, missus has a Dyson but **** me the crap that came out of the living room mat & sofa's was shocking. I think Rug Doctor's have a special tank that puts mud in the waste tank without you knowing.

konabunny
    Free Member

did it cost a lot in detergent apart from the machine hire?

nuke

I was considering using RugDoctor but wondered if it would be better to just buyer a carpet cleaner like this one…

http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/fcp/product/brands-for-less/Vax/Vax-Oasis-Carpet-Washer-V130/875

…or this one as it has the extensions for stairs, car seats etc
    http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/fcp/product/brands-for-less//Vax-Powerjet-Match-V028cc/2796

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

did it cost a lot in detergent apart from the machine hire?

I think we paid £24 or summink & that included detergent, wev'e still got some left.

jonb
    Free Member

I've used them a couple of times moving into my own house and out of a couple of rented houses.

I've always been impressed. Very easy to do. Costs about £30 for the machine and about £15 for the detergent. Liquid came up black and carpets came out clean.

They stay damp for a while (24hours to thorougly dry) so do it in summer so you can open all the windows and be prepared to move furniture around. I think they say you can put furniture back on tinfoil if you need to while the carpets still damp. Personally I'd DIY and not get a professional in.

grim168
    Free Member

Our costs were about the same as esselgruntfuttock and we had some detergent left. I'd recommend them.

backhander
    Free Member

Go for it, they're pretty good.
    We were doing it so often (light carpets, bikes, dog etc) that we ended up buying one like this;
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bissell-25A3-ProHeat-Carpet-Steamer/3907111/product.html?cid=133635
    for £100 odd from macro.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Have a look on Coronation Street – theres a couple on there.
    Oh hang on – they're Rugmunchers.

Tinners

I've used rugdoctor before when we moved in to a new house where a few of the old carpets were retained. It's reasonably good and cheap. However, the last time we had our carpets cleaned we used these and the difference was incredible. Vastly superior to rugdoctor and the carpets were dry afterwards. I thought that one carpet was beyond cleaning (just finished a 9 month extension job and ground in dust creeped in everywhere. The results were astonishing and way beyond what a rugdoctor would have achieved. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again and so far superior to rug doctor that they were worth the extra outlay. We also paid MUCH less for them than your professional quote too. I was under the impression that they're local (Cardiff) but looking at the URL they cover the UK too. I would say that if you just want to spruce up a mildly dirty carpet, go rugdoctor. If the carpets really dirty and you literally want them like new, then I would use Queensland every time.

chico
    Free Member

weve used it but put liquid flash in instead of the detergent they sell you. its much cheeper and does a better job. also smells nicer. prepare to be shocked.

Soup
    Free Member

Used one several times. Bloody good job it did too. Highly recommended.

BigJohn

Doesn't cleaning strip the protection out of carpets so they get dirty again in a couple of weeks?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Anyone used "The rug doctor"?

Yep 8)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Doesn't cleaning strip the protection out of carpets so they get dirty again in a couple of weeks?

Judging by ours, no.

franksinatra

We hired one and followed the instructions to the letter. After finishing (and yes, the carpet and rug did look clean) we started noticing a musty smell. This got progressivly worse over the next 72 hours. We ended up throwing away a £300 rug and having to get carpet replaced in two beedrooms. The underlay had got saturated and gone mouldy. The smell was awful. Rug Doctors dealt with it appallingly, they eventually took the machine away from B&Q for testing and called back saying there was nothing wrong with it. All the chasing was done by me, they didn't return calls or respond to emails. They offered no compensation and refused to allow me to get the machine independently tested.

It cost us a fortune in putting it right and I wouldn't use them again.

Edit, plenty of other similar experiences on Google, try a couple of careful searches and see what comes up.

matthewjb
    Free Member

We hired one and followed the instructions to the letter. … The underlay had got saturated and gone mouldy

It sounds like you didn't connect the pipes up properly. When I used one the carpets were touch dry afterwards, unless I got the pipes connected wrongly, when they would be visibly wet.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used "The rug doctor"?’ is closed to new replies.