Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Anyone used 26" Geax Barro Mountains or Saguaro?
  • drewd

As above. I’ve got a 26″ Charge Duster and am temped by the cheap Geax tyres from on one. Most of the reviews have found are for the 29″ versions, just wondering if anyone has used the 26″ versions and how they found them?

I’m looking for a good all rounder for cross country use in Lancashire moores, so mud and wet rocks plus the odd visit to Gisburn etc. Most of my riding is from my front door so ideally it shouldn’t be too draggy on road either.

Anyone got any recommendations?

pictonroad

I use Saguaro tyres, really rate them, the 2.1 have a big volume profile which is helpful on the back of a hardtail. Id say they’re probably the most common tyres amongst my riding friends (maybe because we’re all poor…) a few hardy souls run them all year.

Not draggy at all and a good grip compromise if your riding includes a ‘a bit of everything’ which I assume most people’s does.

mogrim

Saguaro are nice on the back as pictonroad says – fast rolling, nice volume. Not massively grippy, though, I wouldn’t want them on the front.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve just received a couple of Saguaros for the rear and a couple of Mezcals for the front on my 26ers. Not unwrapped them yet but reviews were pretty good and at the price I thought well worth a punt. I have some Geax Sturdys on my 650b bike that have been fine (heavy but with a name like Sturdy…)

Buying tyres for less than a tenner each is very appealing 🙂

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

The Vittoria Saguaro is akin to the Conti X-King, but at a lot lower price.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i run a Saguaro on the back on my hardtail all year round and it’s an excellent tyre (granted it’s 29er) in fact, i’ll replace it with another… why change what works so well?

kilo

650 b saguaro on rear of my fs like them so much I am going to get some for my 26er

drewd

Cool, thanks for your feedback. So people rate the saguaros on the back, what do most people run up front? I did consider the Goma, is this too much for general riding?

I take it no one has used the Barro Mountains?

brassneck

Have and use both

Saguaro is a fast cheap, tough all rounder. I don’t mind them on the front either, but I’m very much cross country. Good on road, good enough in mud (I’m in the south, there is plenty of that – they work on the lethal chalk mix round here too) and don’t cut up on the flint like other way more expensive treads. I think there may be slight weight penalty, but not noticed. TNT went on OK with track pump, second season fit needed the compressor but very few don’t.

Barro Mountain are on at the moment. Basically the same but one louder – more grip, less speed, bit tougher. Could throw one on the front and Sag on the back.

Of the two I’d go for Saguaro front and back for your use case. Run tubeless for best effect, and if it’s grimy drop 5 psi out

Rubber_Buccaneer

I bet the On-One price bot ups the prices every time there is a positive comment on this thread 🙂

edhornby

I had the barro mountain on my voodoo, it’s a summer tyre – which was good in the summer but (especially in our bit of the world) the conditions aren’t good enough for long enough to be worthwhile.

I have replaced the front with a smorgasbord and it’s great, when the last of the tread leaves the rear I’ll probably get another for the back, or possibly a saguaro as per above

[edit] should point out that my barro mountain came with the bike so they could be a budget version picked up by halfords, my experience was that they were liable to get drifty when muddy

brassneck

[edit] should point out that my barro mountain came with the bike so they could be a budget version picked up by halfords, my experience was that they were liable to get drifty when muddy

Quite possibly, all mine have come from On One as TNT variants and have been great (though there is of course a lot of room for personal perception here).
    I ran the Barro’s instead of the full mud (Spec Storm) tyres I usually swapped too, and have to say I wouldn’t go back to mud specifics – they were good enough for me. In fact the Barros are still on now it’s dried up a bit, just don’t feel a need to change them.

drover
    Free Member

Have a Saguaro on the back of my hard tail, had no issues with it, survived the flinty bridle ways which make up a lot of the cycling i do

tomd
    Free Member

I got some of the 26″ Sagguro White edition tyres from O-O. Very impressed for £10 an end. They seem like a good all rounder for the summer and are pretty tough. After using them I’m tempted to get another set they’re that much of a bargain. I wouldn’t fancy them for sloppy winter riding though.

drewd

OK, so mixed opinions on front suitability of the saguaros. I think I will order a couple and if it’s not grippy enough up front I’ll keep one as a spare and order something a little more aggressive. They sound ideal for what I want though.

Thanks all

Rubber_Buccaneer

Fitted mine at the weekend and they are tight. I haven’t used a tyre lever in years but these broke two plastic levers and had me down Halfords for some metal ones. They did submit to the metal levers and inflating tubeless was no trouble at all. The sidewalls of these TNT versions feel very robust. Weight is a little over 800g so a touch hefty. Tyres are 2.2 Saguaro and 2.3 Mezcal in TNT flavour and 26inch. The rims are old Stans and if I need to put a tube in out on a ride I think I will have a problem. Just for once I’m hoping they go a little baggy.

richardthird

TNTs are often tight. I run AKAs which are awesome unless wet mud (micro tread that clogs). Trying non TNTs this time as lighter, not as tight but most people get em tubeless easily enough. 2.2 front 2.0 rear, under £20 the pair delivered from Rutland.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve just ordered some Barro Mountain TNT 2.3’s to try out having worn down my smorgy’s. Thought i’s give these a try and if they don’t work out i’ll stick some chunky monkey’s on

drewd

I noticed that Rutland also have the non TNT Saguaro’s in when I was looking over the weekend. I might go for those as I am still running tubes as Rutland Water is only a few miles from my parents and I am due to pay them a visit soon. I don’t fancy snapping tyre levers if I get a flat while riding.

Thanks for updating.

househusband

I’ve been using the Saguaro TNT for years at both ends on my 26″ FS; a very under-rated tyre in my opinion. Currently waiting for a pair of the 27.5″ TNT’s to arrive from acycles.com. I’ll be selling off my 26″ kit but not worth my while selling the old tyres seeing as On-One are nearly giving them away!

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I have good times on saguro tubulars good tyres. I imagine the clincher version is pretty decent too. Not very good in slippy mub but not much is.

I have some tnt 29er tyres gato jud i think to go in winter and these are very heavy.

All the geax tyres i have used have tough old boots downside is they dont seem fast rolling but fast rolling tyres are not always robust.

Frankers
    Free Member

I used Barro Mountain for years front and rear all near round, great tyre. Now I ride a 29er I use Saguaro front and rear, if I want more grip on the front I just drop a bit of pressure.

sq225917
    Free Member

Bias alert.

I’ve run a couple of the geax tyres and I’m surprised they aren’t more popular, maybe it’s a fashion, importer, branding thing. For the money we bang them out you’d struggle to do better. The Barro Mountain and the Datura are firm favourites for more xc type general riding duties.

hornetharlot
    Free Member

I have been running the Barro’s 2.3 for 4 months now on loose over hard.
    They have a consistent grip on the corners due to a tightly packed tread,which surprisingly clear pretty well of mud.
    Not as fast in a straight line as the Gato’s I had on mind you,but this is very minimal.And not something you think of when you are going 30+ MPH on stony gravelly Downhills 😀
    But when the going gets really gloopy skiddy mud,as it does when I do thick forest,they get a bit skittish
    That’s when I pull out the Nokian Gazza’s and stick them on.
    They are insanely knobbly.
    All in all a great tyre.Try them,you will not look back.
    And I have washed my hands on the supposed Big 4.Maxxis,Conti’s Schwalbe and WTB.

kerley
    Free Member

I use the Mescal TNT’s but I only ride XC. They are very fast on road and off road but have no lateral grip so get a bit slidy on rare occasions I hit mud.
    The compound also feels very hard and shows no sign of wear at all after 3 months which again could be bad for grip.

Agree they are very tight tyres but once on they inflate straight off with a track pump as easily as a tubed tyre.
    They also stay up from scratch with no weeks of sealing that I got with Continental tyres (protection version)

I like the speed of them so much I am keeping them on through the winter. And for £9 each I bought 2 more just in case 26″ tyres really do become hard to get in the future.

asbrooks

Not wanting to hijack the thread, I have a TNT Barro on the rear and I’m stuggling to find any grip in the mud/wet grass. They can be fitted in either rotation direction, I was wondering if re-fitting it the other way would really make that much difference?

hornetharlot
    Free Member

I say yes asbrooks.
    I take it you have it in speed direction ?
    I have it in traction mode and have faced no such problems.
    Amazing what a turn in tyre can do really,as I switched the front to traction as well.

And no,you did not hijack the thread as this is the kind of info everyone needs on these particular tyres 🙂

asbrooks

Cool, Thanks for replying hornetharlot!
    It’s coming off tonight and going back on the other way round. Although it was blooming difficult to get it on the first place.

spawnofyorkshire

My barro’s only lasted two rides before i got fed up with them. Even in traction direction i found there was no grip on rocks with the slightest whiff of moisture on them, let alone mud.
    I know some people like them, but i really didn’t get on with them
    Running Hans Dampfs now

gummikuh

Yep, got sugaora’s front and back on my hardtail.
    Pretty much a do all tyre, rolls fast and grips as good as most in loose stuff, has a predictable breakaway, cheap to throw away.
    Its running tubeless and used every day on the road as well as cant be bothered to change them.
    Recommended.

asbrooks

Rode the barro in traction mode last night. I can confirm that any extra grip it offers in that mode is marginal.
    It’s coming this weekend, just bought a maxxis beaver to replace it with.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Anyone used 26" Geax Barro Mountains or Saguaro?’ is closed to new replies.