Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone use LOOK pedals?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Long-time fan of TIME ATAC pedals but I've got doubts over the longevity of the XE and XS ones (broke a bar on one set and the springs seem to have lost their tension on another set).

So I'm looking for an alternative. ROC ATAC's look to be a better design but are a bit heavier, but the LOOK ones seem to promise the simplicity of TIMEs along with the float and mud-clearing ability but with very light weight, even in the basic models.

Anyone got any experiences, good or bad?

(PS – don't suggest Crank Bros, please!)

njee20
    Free Member

Some people get on with them, but the Quartz pedals I had (some Cro-Mo ones and some Carbon-Ti) were the worst product I've ever tried, without exception.

They rely on shims between the cleat to get the tread of your shoe to provide stability. I never found a sensible comprimise, it was constantly either so tight you couldn't get your foot in easily, or so loose that it bounced out every time the bike hit a bump. I crashed at least twice because of sudden releases.

The Carbon-Ti ones I had seized solid after their second ride, I went to service them, and the body snapped. Luckily it gave me an excuse to send them back. Absolutely attrocious.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Thanks njee.

I've decided to stick to what I know after finding that on-one are doing carbon ROC ATACs for £60.

Changing to another pedal would be all-or-nothing since I'd need to kit out each bike and change the cleats on three pairs of shoes.

oldgit
    Free Member

I had some LOOKs can't remember the model but they were the worst pedals I've ever owned. Unlike the road products which are great.

househusband

Stu; I have Time Alium pedals on both bikes – and you know how (a) big, and (b) clumsy I am on a bike. They've been absolutely bulletproof, but I do appreciate you wanting something, err, more suited to your racing/fighting weight.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Clumsy?

Not a bit of it! Last time I saw you on a bike, gliding down the Glen Vale singletrack, it reminded me of Swan Lake, such was the grace and beauty.

😉

gamo
    Free Member

househusband

teehee!

rob2
    Free Member

I've got two pairs and they're great. Very hard to set up but once done, top notch

Frankers
    Free Member

Been using Atac XS & XE for years and apart from the odd service they've been great. Also been using some ROC carbons for the past months but to be honest prefer the clipping in and out action of the XS & XE.

SORRY no experience of Look MTB pedals

brumsgrove
    Free Member

I've been slightly disapointed by my Look Quartz Carbons ( in terms of not as much float as Time )

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

I've got/had 3 pairs of XE and XS pedals. XS have a tension adjuster so are fine but the XEs have developed a lot of slop in the springs to the extent that they rattle! Another problem I've noticed is that the square-section retention bars are hollow so what seems like superficial wear actually isn't.

ROC versions look like they might be sturdier so I'll give them a whirl. £60 for the carbon ones seems like a steal (reality check – they're pedals FFS!)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use LOOK pedals?’ is closed to new replies.