Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone understand Ebay Fees?
  • shooterman

Is it just me or is it almost impossible to work out what ebay and paypal fees will be when selling something?

I am about to sell all the parts from a new bike but I find it almost impossible to work out what I will be left with after Ebay and Paypal take their cut.

alexathome
    Free Member

I think it's something like this:

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

alexathome – Member

I think it's something like this:

nuke

Lots of online ebay fee calcs if you google it. Such as…

http://www.ebaycalculator.co.uk/

barrykellett
    Free Member

It is very expensive.
    I would sell the stuff on here and give the site a few quid if you have loads and loads to sell instead of lining ebay's pockets

shooterman

Barry, that's not a bad iodea at all save for the people who ask for countless photos and then say they have decided to buy something else!

allthepies
    Free Member

ebay – when monopolies go wrong.

IA

Basically, including paypal fees, you're looking at about 14% fees on ebay. And if the item goes for over £50 you won't get paid till the buyer leaves positive feedback, or after 30 days elapse.

nuke

And if the item goes for over £50 you won't get paid till the buyer leaves positive feedback, or after 30 days elapse.

Heard something like this but haven't used eBay in a while…anyone know where this is written about on eBay as I can't find any mention? Sounds like way overkill and yet more power to buyers.

vinnyeh

And if the item goes for over £50 you won't get paid till the buyer leaves positive feedback, or after 30 days elapse.

Rubbish.

IA

Vinnyeh, i'm sorry, i was talking rubbish. It is only 21 days:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200803141139352.html

more info here: http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=900188592&mod=1242520422876

and more if you google a bit…

vinnyeh

sorry about that, a bit premature. You're right, though it's only going to affect casual sellers really.
    They are turning ebay into a mall, aren't they- it's no longer an auction site really.

br
    Free Member

work on 20%, then you'll be happy

I had the payment issue when selling some forks – and if they take their time to give feedback…

mickasaki
    Free Member

Hang on, if i'm reading IA's reply right, you wont recieve payment if the item reaches over £50 untill the buyer leaves feedback? ie, once they have recieved it and are happy? So you are supposed to post the item without recieving payment, is that right? If they aren't (questionably) happy you dont have item or money?

uplink
    Free Member

I've just sold something that went for £92 – got the money in my Paypal account instantly
    He hasn't left any feedback yet

mikewsmith
    Free Member

simple answer seems to be buy on e-bay sell elsewhere, it's a bit stacked to the buyer to get sellers a better market (I guess) and to make them lots of money.

Previous experience of a seller who after the auction ended asked for extra to cover what he would loose to paypal, comes as a shock when its all added up

Stevie
    Free Member

The held payments thing is for newer users to 'prevent fraud' 🙄 . Ebay is a busted flush, buyers hold the whip hand on sellers, it's a joke, buyers just do what they want with impunity. If you use PayPal you can pay up to 20% in fees.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Trouble is they have the monopoly now dont they. How often do you here of people looking for second hand items etc in local papers/free ads etc. If its on Ebay its a bargain remember!!

shooterman

I stopped using Ebay in Dec 2008 for the following reason.

I sold a TALAS RC2 to a guy in Austria. He paid for bargain basement shipping just before Christmas. He then started complainign when the thing didn't arrive in time for Xmas (he bought it on 18th). He reported an undelivered item.

I sent the tracking number, for what it was worth, to Paypal. The buyer then stopped answering ym emails and Paypal's ie he was refusing to commit to writing that he still hadn't received the item.

In the midst of trying to get a postal address for Paypal to post a copy of the postage receipt, they deducted £605 from my account. This at a time when the buyer wouldn't confirm that he still hadn't received the item and was refusing to co operate with the investigation.

Since then the fee system appears to have changed, hence my question above.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone understand Ebay Fees?’ is closed to new replies.