Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone shipped a bike frame home from the US?
  • Mr-Snrub
    Free Member

Wondering how much shipping costs would be if anyone’s done it? I know about the VAT and duty etc payable on entry to the UK, no idea how much the shipping would add though.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Why not go on the US courier
    Sites and work it out!?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

$222 via Fedex from California > UK and 26 hours.

Cheaper if rear triangle removed…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/importing-a-blur-lt-from-usa-558-logistics/page/2

stoney
    Free Member

Ridley Dean TT frame, approx £275 inc tax/vat/shipping bla bla blaaa.

Still saved £900 on UK retail….. 😛

Mr-Snrub
    Free Member

cruzcampo – something of a coincidence! I’m eyeing up a Blur TR frame, looking to get it delivered to my cousin in Texas then ship it over here so much the same as your experience. You went with FedEx I see, easy enough to arrange?

singlesteed – I’m waiting on the box size & weight from the US retailer before I get quotes, doesn’t hurt to ask the question in the meantime though given that this is a bike forum does it? Just so happens that someone has done exactly what I’m planning on doing and replied in less than 10mins – lucky me.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

$75 via USPS global priority. It reaches blighty in 3 or 4 days then sits in customs for a couple of weeks.

Mr-Snrub
    Free Member

That’s not bad at all… just trying to get an idea of the add-on costs:

Sales tax in the US
    Shipping
    Duty on entry to UK
    VAT on entry to UK

Am I right in thinking they add VAT to the shipping cost from the US too on entry to the UK?

scotroutes

Yep.

kendo954
    Free Member

could cousin not put it in a plain box to ship for you?

he bought it, decided it wasnt for him and sold you it for roughly half what he paid for it?

MoreCashThanDash

Because tax avoidance is only appropriate for bike parts….

Mr-Snrub
    Free Member

I guess he could, but if Customs decide they want to investigate further for some reason then I end up getting screwed. It’s a lot of money (to me) and I’d rather not get on the wrong side of anyone.

Mr-Snrub
    Free Member

I’ve got the box dimensions from the bike shop in the US but the quotes I’ve had from FedEx and UPS are massive.

Box is 42x23x8 inches, 15lbs. Collection from Texas and delivery to my office in Slough is £250 with FedEx and $550 with UPS! How did you guys get it for so much less?

Mr-Snrub
    Free Member

Mods you can close this topic – decided against shipping the frame over as it’s too much of a ball-ache.

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone shipped a bike frame home from the US?’ is closed to new replies.