• This topic has 38 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Anyone seen wear on a Joplin Stanchion like this before?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

I take my Joplin apart every 4 weeks and clean it out/regrease it. I use Fork juice after every ride and clean religiously.
    Tonight when i took it apart for its 4 weekly clean etc i found this right where the plastic bush sits when its at full extension, no other marks on the shaft.

Not just worn through he anodising but into the layer under that (feels like 3 layers inc. the anodising)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

?

chiefgrooveguru

Are you cleaning it to death?!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I neglected my Joplin completely apart from servicing it every 6/8 months and it didn’t look like that…

carlos
    Free Member

Rob,

Yeah, had the same thing on my Joplin 3. I too stripped it down, cleaned, re-greased and re-built it every 4-5 weeks. I sent it off to 2Pure for a service and the stantion was replaced as part of it, along with a reasonably curt comment that I must have malmaintained it, and that a more frequent cleaning/self service interval should be applied.

Definatley worth the £40 service and £5 postage as it cam back like new.

Now its every 2 weeks, especially in the wet conditions we’re having at the moment.

Carl

rob-jackson
    Free Member

even resorted to a mudguard!!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Emailed 2pure to see what they think

neil853
    Free Member

My joplin 3 did it exactly the same

rob-jackson
    Free Member

What did they say was the cause?

jota180
    Free Member

It’s made by Crank Bros
    Random failures and breakages are inherent features of all their products

The only saving grace is the good support from the current importer.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

How good are 2pure!! Emailed at 8am this morning, reply 5 mins ago, repairing under warranty 🙂

LEGENDS

footflaps

It’s made by Crank Bros
    Random failures and breakages are inherent features of all their products

+1

HermanShake
    Free Member

Once it’s back either upgrade the seal (a lot of people use Fox) and keep or sell on. You don’t need to do this:

I take my Joplin apart every 4 weeks and clean it out/regrease it. I use Fork juice after every ride and clean religiously.

with a KS and you get an inch more drop. I had a Joplin, never again.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

carlos
    Free Member

Jammy git. 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Cracking service from the lads 🙂

carlos
    Free Member

Yeah fair play to them, a good bunch that do great job.

Sorted mine out but I had to pay, hence the comment. 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Ours came back from a seal change with a note saying how obviously well maintained the post was, so either way at least you’re getting a personalised service!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Back and brand new 🙂

Refitted and ready to ride, massive thanks to jake @2pure 🙂

Shorty121
    Free Member

A seat post that you have to maintain every 2 weeks you guys have too much spare time.

postierich
    Free Member

A dropper seat post in the Peaks 🙄

😉

Blower
    Free Member

good service that

smiff
    Free Member

can confirm 2pure are awesome, Jake also. slight dilemma as was going to sell Joplin and buy something more reliable, but they’re continuing to service mine.. presumably they wouldn’t do this for a new owner.

anyone have a spare 30.9 sleeve for Joplin 3 or know where i can get one?

edit: oh i got a letter saying maybe i should service mine. not accusing me of anything but implies i didn’t. fair enough, i didn’t. my problem is always the air seals going though nothing to do with service here afaik.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Smiff – my point too. If they continue to service them like this why would i buy owt else?

smiff
    Free Member

well, for one thing, because i didn’t send my semi-working (no air) post back over summer as i had some races etc i didn’t want to be without post for. so there is that! and i cheaped out and didn’t get remote, i now want remote BUT, with remote version when the air leaks the post is hard to raise. so dilemmas.
    edit: i know.. 1st World Problems.

it’s both the least reliable product, and best service i’ve ever had. so strange. they must be fixing these things all day and night.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

2pure are amazing, the service I recieved with my faulty Joplin was 1st class.

My Joplin 3 did the same as this on 1 ride, was caused by the post having lost a bit of oil and having about 5mm of sag at full extension. Not really noticeable when riding but the movement was enough to wear the coating of the sanction.

smiff
    Free Member

ah looks like Jake @ 2pure is taking a well deserved holiday from 13th September to 2nd Oct. PSA.

so if broken no time to get yours serviced now / try not to break your post before then..

Probably he never wants to see another Joplin in his life 😀

rondo101
    Free Member

it’s testament to the reliability of Crank Bros stuff that you know in advance when the warranty service guy is taking 2 weeks off and planning accordingly. lol.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Nice! Have heard some really good things about 2Pure, but Crank Bros kit is variable IME. I’ve a set of Mallets which have only required one bearing/bush service in seven years and are still going great. The set they replaced committed suicide after ten months.

I run Crank Bros pedals on my other bikes too and have mixed results all round, but the above are two of the most extreme examples.

mboy
    Free Member

Jammy git.

+1

I’ve got 2 Maverick Speedball’s, and about 3 posts worth of spares… Sadly 2Pure won’t touch the Speedball’s (even though they’re the same product) even if you offer them plenty of money to fix! 😕

Just as well I learnt how to sort them out for myself then in the end, after many hours fiddling (even with the instructions in hand). But I’ve not experienced any stanchion scoring yet as per that. I am thinking about doing the Fox Shock seal upgrade though to keep some of the crap out. One wet ride over the Brecon Beacon’s stopped one of my Speedball’s moving even a milimetre!

smiff
    Free Member

the Fox seal upgrade is interesting, which seal exactly please?
    Jake just offered to send me a spare seal free (one i got back today is damaged) – can’t fault 2pure at all, but if the Fox is better i’ll go with that, if i continue to use the post at all.. my feeling is life is too short for this, Gravity Dropper or something maybe.

mboy
    Free Member

Not 100% sure smiff, there’s more info on the MTBR forum somewhere about using the aircan seal off a Fox shock in place of the normal seal on the Joplin/Speedball. Apparently the Fox Seal is about 1,000,000 times better at keeping the crud out, and fits in place of the original seal absolutely perfectly!

Northwind

rob jackson – Member

Smiff – my point too. If they continue to service them like this why would i buy owt else?

I bought a KS. The customer service from Superstar was epically awful, but the post’s fit for purpose so I’m not likely to need it again. No amount of good customer service fixing a failing makes up for the failing.

It’s a shame- 2Pure are fantastic but the product isn’t. Wish they’d import KS tbh!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Mboy,I seem to have lost the foot nut (visible from the bottom) in one of my frames! I have been to the local nut and bolt shop but they seemed a little uninterested. Any idea of the size/thread of those?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

The “Fox seal” idea sounds like BS to me, as the smallest diameter fork stanchion they do is 32mm and the shocks are larger again… I’d like to be proven wrong on this though, as I have a joplin that could also do with a better seal, though no damage as yet 😐

smiff
    Free Member

oh shit duh, and i have a spare fox aircan seal lying around too, will have to fit that 🙂

2pure/CB themselves are fitting better seals than the original btw, at least since last summer.

unfortunately the seal that fails for me is an air seal near lever, someone else here explained how to do that, it’s tricky and needs special tools.

Northwind

skidsareforkids – Member

The “Fox seal” idea sounds like BS to me, as the smallest diameter fork stanchion they do is 32mm and the shocks are larger again…

Fox shock “stanchion” is 27mm.

mboy
    Free Member

The instructions I have from Maverick just say “10mm nut”. Which is correct, as you use a 10mm socket to remove it. What the thread is though, I don’t know off the top of my head…

If you want them, email me and I will forward the instructions I have to you…

JoeG
    Free Member
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Anyone seen wear on a Joplin Stanchion like this before?’ is closed to new replies.