Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Anyone ('s wife obvz) got a new Clio?
  • bearnecessities

I’m about to select the colour of new ‘company’ car (it’s a private use lease scheme so I pay an amount), and depressingly, it’s a Skoda superb.

Yay.

I don’t really want a car that big now, the major rubble shifting on house is done and it’s just me. However I’m 39 and have not given up on life. So, the medium offerings is a Kia Ceed 1.6d…which look shit but apparently are good (but look shit, this matters right?)….but the small car offering is a Clio play 1.5d, in any colour, which frankly I love the look of from the outside.

However I do a lot of miles, and the interior really doesn’t look like a fun place to spend 4K miles a month.

It’s the only thing that’s putting me off a nice looking, ridiculously cheap, car.

Am I wrong, or do I need to give up on life now and drive a soulless Skoda? It’s well spec’d too for a base model.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Is that it? A choice of three very different cars from three different makers?

Get the Clio and rag the tits off it! More fun than the other two.

martymac

Wife has an older 2012 one,
    Excellent seats, really comfy, decent stereo, and has enough toys for a little car.
    Drives well too
    Id imagine a 90hp diesel would be moderately nippy.
    EDIT: im talking about the clio btw.

ElShalimo

Hey Bear – greetings from t’other side of W Yorks.
    which engine Superb is it?
    My FiL has the 1.4 turbo petrol and it’s pretty nippy. Its also a very nice comfortable car on long or short journeys
    The Clio & the C’eed are really not in the same league. Doing 4k/month your back will thank you going for a comfy car.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get the Clio.

Spend any money that you save on an old fire breathing V12 Jag or something equally ridiculous and impractical.

it’s just me.

No one to say no to you

martinhutch

Get the Superb. You’re doing 4K a month and the novelty of the Clio will wear off pretty quick.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

(it’s a private use lease scheme so I pay an amount), and depressingly, it’s a Skoda superb.

Hold on. You’re paying, or contributing towards a car, either of the three, that you don’t want? How does that work? Why only these three cars?

minifreerider
    Free Member

The superb really is a very good car.

Get a bike in the back too.

matt_outandabout

Does Nicole come with the Clio?

bearnecessities

Yes that’s it. Small, medium and large.

All put out to tender and manufacturers win each category.

I can’t complain, although I’d like to..it’s a great deal (The Clio would cost £150 and Skoda £260 all in, including bik, ins, tax, servicing, hire car when needed and ‘concierge’ type stuff)

Interesting to hear seats are good on the Clio as that’s something that worried me, ta.

Edit: Oh, this appears to have taken a turn! The Skoda is the 1.6d green line hatchback.

righog
    Free Member

4K a month…the Superb

and

buy cheap for fun motoring if required

Inbred456
    Free Member

Get the Superb. If you are doing 4K a month there is nothing better for eating up the miles. Back seats down bike in the back with wheels on!

bearnecessities

Hold on. You’re paying, or contributing towards a car, either of the three, that you don’t want? How does that work? Why only these three cars?

Big organisation. Car provider pulls numbers together of small, medium and large cars needed.

Puts out to tender.

Manufacturers win.

We get car that won, for business case approved (small, medium or large).

cheers_drive

I can’t complain, although I’d like to..it’s a great deal (The Clio would cost £150 and Skoda £260 all in)

Is that per month? If so it’s good but not amazing, I’ve just ordered a 2.0d Superb SE Tech estate for less than that per month as a lease. Not so many miles but a better model.
    My wife’s work does lease deals and they are good from the point of view of having no deposit but don’t match up to the best deals of there.

nickc

I think I would struggle to stay sane if I had to that much mileage in a Clio TBH.

Skoda, (can’t believe I actually suggested that)

footflaps

So, the medium offerings is a Kia Ceed 1.6d…which look shit but apparently are good (but look shit, this matters right?)..

We have one at the moment (wife works for Kia UK), and it’s a decent drive. Wife rates it for eating up miles (she does a lot with work, on the road 2-4 hours every day).

bearnecessities

Is that per month? If so it’s good but not amazing, I’ve just ordered a 2.0d Superb SE Tech estate for less than that per month as a lease. Not so many miles but a better model.
    My wife’s work does lease deals and they are good from the point of view of having no deposit but don’t match up to the best deals of there.

Going OT here, but it’s not a normal lease…

Limitless miles.
    Zero additional costs, ever.
    Bik included.

It’s pretty cheap.

Still, I’d like to hear from Clio owners!

Edit: Interesting FF thank you. I wish they did the grey in the 1 version!

ads678

What’s Bik?

Jamie
    Free Member

Just take the Superb, and accept your fate.

What’s Bik?

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-faq/what-is-bik-benefit-in-kind-tax-/1/

slackboy

4000 miles a month? Get the one with the comfiest seats and cruise control. That will be the Skoda.

stumpy01

cheers_drive – Member

But the mileage allowance will skew the figures massively.
    Stick in 48k miles/year to the lease deal you have found and see what that does to the figures.

Even jumping from around 12k to 25k will probably double the monthly cost….

perchypanther
    Free Member

What’s Bik?

Iz it Sarcin?

bearnecessities

I’m hovering over the email for the Clio…

johndoh
    Free Member

Does Nicole come with the Clio?

For me she did (I was the proud owner of a Clio RSi aged 27 and started dating an 18 year old called Nicole.

We didn’t have one person ever say

‘Nicole’?

‘Papa’!

to us. Not once. Ever.

23 years later she is my wife 🙂

robware
    Free Member

I drive a 1.5 diesel Clio. I really like the car. I like the interior, too, but I have the Dynamiq S model so It might be more “premium”. I do 1.5K to 1.6K a month.

The seats are pretty good. The car is fairly spacious for the driver for a small car (I’m pretty big and don’t have the seat all the way back). Boot is a decent size. I’ve got roof bars on it no problem, if that’s a factor for you.

benp1

4,000 miles per year in a Clio? Blimey, not sure I could take that

I find bigger cars to generally be nicer places to be – more stable, more roomy, lighter, comfier, more creature comforts, less tiring, quieter

If you’re doing 50k per year then presumably a lot of that is on the road. I’d take the big car all day long, presumably it’s specced with cruise and all the usual mod cons.

Also means it’s bigger for taking stuff with you, like a bike 😀

BUT, it’s a Skoda Superb, which aren’t a car you look at admiringly…

The Ceed might be a good balancing point, how much for that?

dragon
    Free Member

Wow those choices are pretty depressing. The new Clio is nice, I had one as a hire car for a couple of weeks in France and it was good. It isn’t the plushest inside, but it all works and handles decently IMO.

The Skoda is probably a better mile muncher, but its certainly not a looker. And I doubt it’ll be much fun to drive either.

TBH your best bet is probably to try and test drive all 3 and pick the one you like most.

Sundayjumper

4k miles pm = Skoda, hands down.

Anyone saying “get the Clio, it’ll be more fun” has either never done long journeys day-in-day-out, or is some kind of motoring masochist.

I do less than half that mileage but when my E46 finally dies I’m going for something bigger, not smaller.

bearnecessities

TBH your best bet is probably to try and test drive all 3 and pick the one you like most.

I need to decide today.

I’m at max procrastination and frankly am getting on my own tits.

wombat

I had a Clio diesel for a week late last year, it was fine, went nicely and seemed pretty efficient (was also a nice metallic red, other colours are available). However, I found the seat had very little support and after a 90 mile motorway drive was ready to stand up for a while. I also had to have the seat almost all the way back so there was very little legroom in the rear seats (I’m 6’2″).

I’ve had a test drive in the new Superb, I think it’s a great mile muncher, handles well (as far as I could tell on an accompanied test drive) and very comfy, loads of room for driver and passengers and plenty of toys (no CD player though).

Not driven the Kia but based on my experience I’d definitely go for the Superb.

I currently drive a 2010 Superb FWIW.

bearnecessities

Thanks for the above.

Hear what you say about wallowy loveliness of the bigger car, but It’s going to be the Clio in red…..

I think.

stumpy01

Nissan Leaf and an extension lead?

matt_outandabout

It’s going to be the Clio in red….

Please make sure your music matches the car.

prawny

Skoda for me – I’m 34 and gave up on life some time in the early noughties.

Have to buy my own cars though so got a Bimmer.

bearnecessities

Can someone pick a number, 1,2 or 3. Ta.

benp1

Grey and Black is faster than red though…

Seriously, 4 THOUSAND miles per month, four thousand. I’d want an armchair on wheels for that

sbob
    Free Member

ads678 – Member

What’s Bik?

One ‘ell offa clarinet player. 😀

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

How tall are you?

For 4k pa, the skoda every time….

I test drove the Kia not long ago, and it was slow, and not a vey nice place to be (imho)
    The Clio is way to small for me to be a good, lot of miles workhorse. It’s not designed for the job.

I bought a Octavia vrs, in typical stw style

bearnecessities

Right.

Skoda it is.

Just need to pick a colour. Quartz grey….or business grey…

..or petrol blue.

I know, hard to believe I’m single.

matt_outandabout

Skoda Superb – our dealership has one of these colour ones in.

Gwahn, you know you want to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ('s wife obvz) got a new Clio?’ is closed to new replies.