• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Hip.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone ride around Oswestry area?
  • Reign_Man
    Free Member

If so, are you aware of the move to get the path changed to bridleway status up at the racecourse?

mtbfix

Contact your local rights of way team I would suggest is a start. They will be listed on the council's website. If the trail you are talking about is the one I am thinking of it is a great, if cheeky, piece of riding.

numlock
    Free Member

Into Candy woods?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    devs
    Free Member

Bit of a hijack but can you ride that Criggion Hill and the one next door? They look like fun.

Hip
    Free Member

I do and no, I was not… Thanks for the info.

Would that be the racecourse common it's self or the Offa's Dyke footpath that passes through the Racecourse wood?

If its the former then it would need a lot of work to bring it up to bridleway status, 2m wide and 4m headroom…

RM – Do you have any more information about this? I cant find anything about it on the Shropshire ROW site.

Reign_Man
    Free Member

From what I was told, its for one of the tracks through Candy woods. I only found out on Saturday when I was talking to one of the guys who built the dh track.

There are forms (rights of way evidence statement and a map) available from Stuart Barkleys, they need filling in and handing back to the shop, from what I can gather a local solicitor (who rides there regularly) is handling the case and there is a council meeting next month.

People have been riding through the woods for years (I've been riding there since 94, others longer), never been challenged or told I couldn't and there is some good trails well away from the walkers usual routes.

Obviously the more people who fill in the forms the better.

fbk
    Free Member

Candy woods have been ridden for years, as you say. A group of us started building there well over 10 years ago – went back recently (first time in a few years) to find all sorts of stuff there now. Some great little DH runs 🙂

Not sure what effect changing a path to a bridleway would make – it could encourage people to stop the cheeky riding in the woods?

Hip
    Free Member

Thanks RM. I'll take a spin over to Barkleys and have a look.

fbk – it could encourage people to stop the cheeky riding in the woods?

I doubt it, but as long as it doesn't encourage the trashing of the existing cheeky bits I think it can only be good.

More legitimate access to the country side for us all, Great!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride around Oswestry area?’ is closed to new replies.