Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • anyone ridden a Bronson and Solo (5010) back to back ?
  • iainc

merely a lunchtime musing having been watching the SC thread with interest. If I had the money burning a hole in my pocket I would have reckoned on the 5010, but same money, a lot of it 🙂 buys the Bronson. For comparisons sake I was doodling on the Santa Cruz bike builder with xt specced alloy ones..

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Five7five who comes on here has-at Stanburn I think??
    As I recall he loved the Solo and bought one but wasn’t struck on the Bronson
    Cheers
    Steve

darrenspink
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be spending money such an expensive bike without trying them out myself first.

iainc

I wouldn’t be spending money such an expensive bike without trying them out myself first

indeed, I’m not either, but interested in people’s opinions 🙂

bikeneil
    Free Member

My opinion would be try them both yourself and decide. I rode both and didn’t like either. But I did love the Niner rip 9 I tried. So I bought one. And a bonus that you don’t see as many Niners as you do people riding plastic Santa Claus’ s.

fatgit
    Free Member

Interesting personal views cos Five7five above had a Niner RIP which he liked also but split it after riding the Solo as he much preferred it
    Cheers
    Steve

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Yes! Did a demo day a month or so ago with a friend who was in the market for a bike. We rode the Blur and the Tallboy Carbon as well as the Bronson and Solo.

I think it depends largely on your regular trails. It was decided that for most of the uk riding we’d do the Solo/5010 was perfect. It’s amazingly fast on the acceleration, light, agile and playful. Whilst we rode the full carbon version my chum opted for the alu frame but for us laymen the weight difference is barely noticeable. The only thing I felt it needed was a stiffer fork. The Fox 34s felt a wee bit flexy. I am used to Lyriks and I am being picky.

The Bronson is a monster. The carbon version was indeed light and pedalled better than I thought it would but I was left feeling like if just been driven around the trails on a sofa. Comfy as but a bit numb. I imagine on a big rocky decent it’d be a riot.

It is fact my friend is deeply smitten with his 5010.

SOAP
    Free Member

I tested a Bronson and then a Blur TR the small wheeled SOLO won hands down.
    Trail centres with the odd uplift day is what I ride.

iainc

Thanks for all the feedback, I can keep on dreaming of a 5010 😛

singlespeedstu

I’ve tried both.
    What of it? 😆

singlespeedstu

On a serious note.
    I tried both and after a conversation with the SC guy his conclusion was.
    The best seller is the bronson, but the solo would be better suited to most riders if they weren’t trying to portray themselfs as more core than they are.
    On the question of what bike he had.
    A tallboy ltc.
    Same as myself. 😉

iainc

SST – interesting. I had come to conclusion that 5010 was the best option for me as an old duffer who likes to keep connected to the ground, but was getting diverted by the Bronson threads. All I need now is a lotto win 🙂

mattbilliard
    Free Member

Check out MTBR “Santa Cruz” section there is a back to back review in the forums. I test rode a 5010 and ordered one the next day – picked it up this week.

Matt

RickDraper
    Free Member

I had a Bronson, it did everything I wanted. Descended well, climbed well and felt very plush. Then I bought a Nomad and a Solo and sold the Bronson, I don’t even know why really other than liking shiny things.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘anyone ridden a Bronson and Solo (5010) back to back ?’ is closed to new replies.