Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone put 26" wheels on a Croix De Fer?
  • packer
    Free Member

If so how silly did it look? Photos please.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Em… Low bottom bracket much?

maxray
    Free Member

why would you do this?¬!

packer
    Free Member

Want to have an Alfine 11 hub on my mtb and also my commuter, but can’t afford to buy two so was thinking about using the same rear wheel on both and swapping it over at weekends.

Yeah, I guess the BB would end up a bit low… could keep a 700c wheel up front I guess to minimise that. Although that would look even more odd.

mieszko
    Free Member

Well my mate used 26″ wheels on his Boardman hybrid before he got some 700 disc compatible ones. It worked but the bb was low and it could probably be problematic as even on my road bike the crank arms are not that far away from the ground. You will not die from it but making a 69er out of a Croix de fer might mess up the geometry even more.

Think what You ride more, Your mtb or the cx and than build the wheel up accordingly. Or use the 26″ on the Genesis and save up for another. Or get the Alfine 11 for whichever bike You like most and then Alfine 8 (as they should be cheap now) for the second bike.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

The Croix comes with gears leave it like that and get the Alfine for your Mountain bike. If you put 26″ wheels on the Croix you’ll spend more time off it digging your pedals out of the ground, that and the fact you’ll forever be swapping tyres and (don’t hold me on this) you’ll find it hard to get 26″ cross tyres to fit the Croix frame.

packer
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all. You are probably right it’s a bad idea. I still want to share the wheel between bikes though so maybe I should be thinking about getting a different frame for my commuter which is 26″ wheel specific…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I see a new niche being created…650! 😎

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone put 26" wheels on a Croix De Fer?’ is closed to new replies.