Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • Anyone over 8stone shouldn't wear lycra.
  • cubist
    Free Member

According to Sir Chris Hoy (whose thighs probably weigh 8 stone a pop)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41081756

jimdubleyou

According to Sir Chris Hoy

Is he still associated with Vulpine? Or maybe he’s trying to get another gig 😛

weeksy

.I think people in the UK see cycling as a sport rather than a means of transport,

That’s correct. And that explains it all nicely

aP
    Free Member

Hoy needs to realise that all those people he’s just put down in the end now pay his wages as he’s not an athlete any more but has to go out and work – not that I actually have any idea what he does do now except for crashing other people’s expensive racing cars.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the new line of Hoy clothing aimed at the fuller figured cyclist.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I presume Chris Hoy was slightly more than 8st when he was racing?

jekkyl

what if you’re really short? like a fat dwarf if you will, he or she could be around 8 stone but still look unsightly in lycra.

allfankledup

He apologised earlier via Twitter. He’s 14.5 stone

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’m all for a blanket ban on lycra regardless of weight.*

*unless you’re racing (an actual race).

Junkyard
    Free Member

even i am two stone out!

I wear it because it does not flap around

Dont care what anyone else thinks

RustySpanner

I wear lycra for sexual reasons.
    The sight of me wearing it acts as an excellent contraceptive.

ton

lycra should be banned anywhere in a public place, when worn by men. any men.
    there is nothing worse than a fat middle aged cyclist clad in lycra. and if the bloke wears it to enter a pub or cafe, he should be tarred and feathered.

SaxonRider

Lycra should be worn by whomever wishes to wear it.

Gawd I hate this ‘debate’.

aracer
    Free Member

and neither do your clothes

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Better than looking like an over aged skateboarder and much more comfortable

angeldust
    Free Member

I’ve been mountain biking for well over 25 years, and up to a couple of years ago I wouldn’t have been seen dead in Lycra! Since then I’ve started road biking, and I’ve totally changed my mind. It makes perfect sense for road biking, and you soon get used to it. I’m no racing snake, but I don’t have a belly either. I do feel slightly self conscious in non biking situations (cafes, emergency stop in shops), so avoid them if possible. I certainly don’t wear Lycra to look like a team rider, it’s just the right gear for the job.

oldtalent
    Free Member

I hope I still have state of mind to put myself under a bus if I ever change my views on lycra.

ComradeD
    Free Member

Lycra should be banned. MTB shorts with bib shorts underneath FTW

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Tongue in cheek comments surely? I can probably count on 1 hand the number of cyclists I know at that weight.

scc999

He didn’t say that either – he is quoted as saying lycra can look “awful” on anyonen over 8 stone.
    And he’s right – it *can* look awful.

But I’m with the “wear what you like” brigade. No need to wear lycra if you don’t want to, no reason you should listen to those saying you can’t wear it if you want to though.

project
    Free Member

Saturday a problem with my cash card, outside Natwest, the door was open so in i walked, a chap asked what i was needing, and where i had ridden from,expected to be told to take bike outside, turns out he was the manager and a cyclist,he and his staff never batted an eyelid about me dressed in lycra, while he sorted out my problem.

Hoy also has a clothing and bike range, obviously wants some extra free advertising.

edhornby

The article wasn’t entirely serious , but that didn’t stop all the journos and commentators using it to start an argument that you’re all continuing

tomhoward

Tongue in cheek comments surely? I can probably count on 1 hand the number of cyclists adults I know at that weight.

This

angeldust
    Free Member

Tongue in cheek comments surely? I can probably count on 1 hand the number of cyclists I know at that weight.

Yes, obviously, but a lot of mountain bikers (me included until I started road riding) seem to agree regardless!

bikebouy
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    Tongue in cheek comments surely? I can probably count on 1 hand the number of cyclists adults humans at that weight.
    This, that, the other

POSTED 23 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

vickypea
    Free Member

Lycra should be worn by whomever wishes to wear it.

I agree!
    Plus it has a function.

ton

I agree!

i bet you would change your mind if you saw me clad head to toe in lycra……. 😆

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    I wear lycra for sexual reasons.
    The sight of me wearing it acts as an excellent contraceptive.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

This made me chuckle

km79
    Free Member

I’m all for a blanket ban on lycra regardless of weight.

[quote]lycra should be banned anywhere in a public place, when worn by men. any men.
    there is nothing worse than a fat middle aged cyclist clad in lycra. and if the bloke wears it to enter a pub or cafe, he should be tarred and feathered. [/quote]I concur. Lycra is for paedos and weirdos.

slowster
    Free Member

It may have been a tongue in cheek comment by Chris Hoy, but on a serious note, it was a harmful comment to make by someone who has benefitted the sport, but who has himself greatly benefitted from the sport and ought to think carefully about what he says given his status as a sporting hero and someone who can influence views and debates.

We currently have a major obesity crisis in this country which is placing huge demands on the NHS (limiting the available resources for non-self inflicted health conditions) and which is damaging the health and lives of the sufferers and their families.

I have seen a few very obese people on bikes wearing lycra and close fitting jerseys, and my initial thoughts were similar to Hoy’s statement. However, I immediately then changed my mind, and mentally congratulated those people for having the courage and the determination to get out and ride a bike, since it does take a lot of courage when you have people like Hoy making such remarks and knowing that others who don’t say it may well be thinking it, and since by getting out and riding they are taking steps to towards a healthier lifestyle. We need to encourage such people every step of the way, not make sniggering remarks which may embarrass them and discourage them from continuing to ride or take other exercise.

leffeboy

Got to agree with @slowster. I always feel more impressed by people out pushing themselves when it is clear that the journey is a long one rather than the elegant and impeccably dressed out for a bimble

binners

I’m 100% with Ton on this one. If you leave the house in Lycra, then you look like a sex offender. Seriously…. you do!

If your delusional lack of self-awareness means you’re not prepared to accept this self-evident fact, then it’s a public duty for other people… in this case Chris Hoy… to point it out to you. You don’t look like a finely honed athlete, you look like a burst black pudding. A burst black pudding who thinks it’s acceptable to show the world their nads. It isn’t!

So take heed of his wise words and help make the country a less aesthetically terrifying place. For gods sake think of the children and cover those cobblers!

legend
    Free Member

ton – Member
    lycra should be banned anywhere in a public place, when worn by men. any men.
    there is nothing worse than a fat middle aged cyclist clad in lycra. and if the bloke wears it to enter a pub or cafe, he should be tarred and feathered.

Does it make you have uncomfortable thoughts or something?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Even Chris froome weighs well over 8 stone

Fact is that anyone in lycra looks a bit daft, nothing to do with weight.

I include myself in that. My recently purchased aero helmet looks like a bellend, but I simply don’t care.

ton

Does it make you have uncomfortable thoughts or something?

it puts me off my sausage butty for sure.

crosshair
    Free Member

As a 14 stone cyclist who wears Lycra, I think Sir Chris has a good point well made 😆

I still vomit at my 2016 Ride London pic at 15st02 😳

edhornby

Lycra looks odd the moment you get off the bike, so the answer is to not sit about in cafes trying to look cool, just ride your bike

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

What about Lycra and a bumbag?

binners

Only with socks and sandals

ooOOoo
    Free Member

However, Pete Reynolds, a blogger who writes about cycling styles, says Sir Chris’s comments have a point.
    Pete, who is originally from Liverpool but currently lives in Berlin, says the British attitude to cycling – and particularly about what to wear while on two wheels – is very different to the attitudes of our Continental cousins.
    “If you go to other places in Europe – in Amsterdam, or Copenhagen, or here in Berlin – people are riding around in everyday clothing,” he says.
    “I think people in the UK see cycling as a sport rather than a means of transport,” he says, adding: “I think it creates an image of cycling that is undesirable and unattainable.”

He’s right innit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Anyone over 8stone shouldn't wear lycra.’ is closed to new replies.