Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)
  • Anyone over 8stone shouldn't wear lycra.
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I will be wearing lycra on Saturday’s big bike ride. Cos I need to be as comfortable as possible.

ransos
    Free Member

When I ride to work and around town, I wear my normal street clothes. When I am on my mountain bike, I wear baggy shorts over bibs, with a looser jersey. And when I ride road, I do so in Lycra.

In a sane world, this would be the end of the thread.

tang
    Free Member

Athletics has to be the worst offender. Thankfully not many guys take to the streets in competition garb.
    Pro still not a great look, imagine your proudest moment reduced to this.

Or this

daern
    Free Member

When I ride to work and around town, I wear my normal street clothes. When I am on my mountain bike, I wear baggy shorts over bibs, with a looser jersey. And when I ride road, I do so in Lycra.

In a sane world, this would be the end of the thread.[/quote]
    No, but here, let me offer you an alternative thread end:

“Who gives a flying **** what other people choose to wear when riding their bike? It’s got nothing to do with you anyway.”

crosshair
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/tacx-magnum-trainer-47787/

Treadmill thing is already available.

That Wahoo climb thing could be quite cool. Zwift already has VR software in it- once somebody creates sweat proof VR goggles, it’s going to become incredibly immersive!

ransos
    Free Member

“Who gives a flying **** what other people choose to wear when riding their bike? It’s got nothing to do with you anyway.”

Lots of people do. Hence this discussion.

mogrim

Every time this subject comes up I thank god I live in Spain, on Sundays the local cafes are full of cyclists wearing lycra and no one bats an eyelid.

vickypea
    Free Member

IMO it doesn’t look that great on most bony-arsed pro cyclists either. So it’s only really Sandwich who looks awesome.

Well, Sandwich and Fabian Cancellara too
    😀

daern
    Free Member

Lots of people do. Hence this discussion.

Lots of people also worry about what colour skin people have, what religion they are or where they were born. This doesn’t make it any more right.

Sorry, the last thread on this subject was a train wreck and this one will degrade into the same.

deviant
    Free Member

Jesus tang, look at the massive cock on the white guy… He’s blasting racial stereotypes out of the water!

Sorry, but you just can’t help but be drawn down there can you!?….and I consider myself straight.
    I wear it on the road bike, tools for the job and all that….but I’m 14 stone of PEDs created muscle.

(some of the above may be lies, haha)

ransos
    Free Member

Lots of people also worry about what colour skin people have, what religion they are or where they were born. This doesn’t make it any more right.

Yes, skin colour and the wearing of sports clothing is definitely analogous.

daern
    Free Member

FYI, Hoy has apologised for his comments which he said were tongue in cheek:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41092831

He also points out that he, himself is 14st anyway 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Wow there’s some idiotic comments on here.

there is nothing worse than a fat middle aged cyclist clad in lycra

I think theere is, child killers, hitler, narrow minded people, people overly bothered what other people wear, fashion victims tc, etc

Lycra should be banned. MTB shorts with bib shorts underneath FTW

You do know bib shorts are made of lycra?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Wear normal-er clothes and be 1mph slower, that’s all the public is asking.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Wow there’s some idiotic comments on here.

Are you new to Singletrack?

fasthaggis

It’s not always about Strava and Lycra though is it?

Another view

daern
    Free Member

Wear normal-er clothes and be 1mph slower, that’s all the public is asking.

Can you post a picture of yourself in your trail garb please so we can ridicule you too? (I’m really hoping it’s the modern “pyjama” trail wear that’s becoming increasingly popular at trail centres as this will make our life much easier!)

Do you have also have a cheap, low-end bike we can laugh at too while we’re at it, or perhaps a really nasty colour car?

Sigh.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I agree with him. Nobody LOOKS GOOD in Lycra and the performance gains are non existent for the overwhelming majority of us – just like a lot of gear in cycling. If you’re chasing marginal gains then it’s ok to look like a spanner, but for those of us just chasing some or any gain then normal shorts and t-shirt that are not too baggy will suffice.

But people are free to wear what they like, but it doesn’t mean they look good in it.

Klunk
    Free Member

Licra pah! a real skin suit is where it’s at says Mario

Gary_M
    Free Member

Are you new to Singletrack?

Yes I just joined tomorrow.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Jeez…my eyes!…glad I’m not drafting him.

Can you post a picture of yourself in your trail garb please so we can ridicule you too?

No, but nothing to stop you browsing my posts I guess…there’s no pajama wear in there as I agree that trend has gone a little mental. Just normalish clothes and a decent bike that allowed me to ride the british isles without frightening too many humans or wild animals.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yes I just joined tomorrow.

That’s when the new forum is due.

jimdubleyou

the performance gains are non existent for the overwhelming majority of us

The lack of chafing is a massive performance gain for a lard arse like me.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

.I think people in the UK see cycling as a sport rather than or else a desperate means of transport for assorted and intensely annoying drunks/driving ban recipients, spotty youths too young to drive or worst of all poor people’s shamewagon because cannot afford car.

FTFY

maxtorque

I’m starting a new MTB specific Acronym:

MAMIBA – Middle Aged Man In Body Armour!

Often extensable to MAMIBARASC as well (Middle Aged Man in Body Armour Riding A Santa Cruz )

😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I drafted* a bloke wearing speedos on the bike leg of a half ironman tri for about three miles. It was not a pleasant experience but he was going too fast to overtake easily.

Put me off my sis gel!!

*not to ref, pls don’t DQ me know

tomhoward

MAMIBA – Middle Aged Man In Body Armour!

5 years ago called, they want their acronym back.

Esme
    Free Member

A new acronym?
    What’s wrong with PUFFIN (pathetic unfit fat f***ers in nappy) ?
    (Copyright Alexei Sayle, allegedly)

molgrips
    Free Member

Why should I put baggy shorts on over perfectly good lycra? They decrease the comfort and get out of place. Really no need for an extra layer.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Anyone still want to justify their ludicrous choice of clothing ?

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve been having these thoughts since I commute in Lycra. The thing is, I could wear baggy shorts over the top, but they would serve no practical purpose other than to placate Joe Public who may or may not harbour strong feelings about what I’m wearing. They’d be extra weight, more drag, and extra washing. Why bother?

I can’t explain why I wear baggy shorts on the MTB though. So maybe I’m a hypocrite. *shrugs*

I think the wider point is important – people in the U.K. see cycling as a sport not an everyday thing. It’s something fitness freaks do. Whereas in some places it’s normal, it’s just a way of getting around. In order to dispel this attitude, maybe we should stop wearing Lycra?

epicyclo

I’d wear lycra, but I don’t seem to be able to attract the level of sponsorship most MAMILs have. 🙁

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

It may be comfortable and the best thing to wear for some types of cycling but I think if he had just said all people wearing lycra look bad he would have been fine as it’s the truth 😉

People wearing lycra need to think what they are inflicting on the eyes of other people as the pictures tang posted prove 😆

crispyrice

I am overweight and I wear Lycra. But only when zwifting.

lowey

Generally if I’m commuting I’ll wear baggies and a loose top. If its really warm full lycra. Doing a charity ride later this month though so will be full lycra. I’m a fully authenticated fat bastard and I simply dont care.

mogrim

People wearing lycra need to think what they are inflicting on the eyes of other people as the pictures tang posted prove

People who are offended by the sight of me in lycra will just have to put up with it, or look away. Although looking away can be hard when I’m in my fluro yellow tri kit, it’s certainly eye-catching 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

A new acronym?

FOB WATCH

Fat Old Bloke Wearing A Terrifying Crotch Hugger

Mister-P
    Free Member

I think I look pretty good in Lycra and so do some car drivers. They get extra close to me on my bike for a better look.

vickypea
    Free Member

Why is it ok to say that cyclists shouldn’t wear Lycra if they don’t look good, but we don’t tell people outside of a bike riding situation that they shouldn’t wear this and that because they don’t look good?

perchypanther
    Free Member

we don’t tell people outside of a bike riding situation that they shouldn’t wear this and that because they don’t look good?

Course we do!

Have you seen Captain Flashheart’s shoes?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Anyone over 8stone shouldn't wear lycra.’ is closed to new replies.