Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone on Warfarin and riding?
  • slowoldgit
    Free Member

Hi, just starting treatment, had the briefing, would like to hear others’ experiences.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just don’t fall off!

Jamie
    Free Member

Carry some plasters. My Dad is on it, 65, and pootles about on his bike and doesn’t let it bother him.

ton

i am on 15mg a day mate, have been for the last 19 months.
    dont seem to have a problem with the warfarin except cold hands and having to go for my blood doing every friday.
    if you are taking it with beta blockers, they are the problem.

footflaps

Guy in my road club was on it for a year after loosing 1/3 of a lung to a blood clot that broke off from somewhere in his leg and lodged in his lung. He was still placing top 5 in 234s on it!

trail_rat
    Free Member

My dads on both warfarin and beta blockers for a long time following 4 heart attacks over 10 years and a stent.

Hell never be fast but bought his first mtb ever 2 years ago And loves it – then broke his collar bone – woops

With him it took a couple years to get te doses right and for him to settle down from his 100mph working pace when on it some days he could be restricted to bed only and the next youd think he was back to normal

Life is almost back to normal for him how ever it took him along time to get over the collar bone due to the drugs.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

4/5mg a day for life, following 2nd lung clot. Possibly a bit more cautious now, tho’ advancing years may have reduced my need to show off anyway.

ton

dont know why other people are taking warfarin, but if it is for a heart problem, your cycling may never be the same as it was.
    and it take a hell of a lot to get used to that.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks, ton, I already notice that I can’t do what I did in my teens, not that I can remember much of it. Any cycling, slow or not, is better than none, and better for one’s heart, I hope.

totalshell

been on the rat poison for 12 years since mack the knife sliced and diced my aorta and other essentials.
    Warfarin is a pain..
    not for you as the user other than the inconvienace of the INR (get a relationship going with your quack here so that you can turn up and be first seen each day). made life so much easier.. oh and forget this bullocks about you must have your yeller book and you cant get your prescription without it.. all total tosh..
    the real issue and the time will come with Warfarin is that all NHS staff will look at you like you ve two heads will refuse to treat you ( except strangly dentists who have an enlightened view) as they are afraid of you bleeding out on them
    my inr is in the range 2.5/3.5 and i dont bleed any more than anyone else i try to be compliant but some nights i forget.. i usally take it as i go to bed.. the dose slowly grows over time ( i started on 5mg and now do 7)
    try to get your quack to prescribe 100 days rather than 28.. its a LOT cheaper over your lifetime its a LOT cheaper..

hugor
    Free Member

Well obviously you’re prone to bleeding which is an extra risk you’ll carry in an accident.
    If you hit your head, well at least you died doing something you love.
    If you injure a periphery you could get a haematoma (blood collection).
    If this is deep within a limb you could end up with compartment syndrome and have an amputation.
    If its more superficial well its probably of no massive consequence.
    If you cut your skin then you may bleed for a long time.
    If you choose to ride my advice would be to carry good bandages.
    These will control most peripheral bleeding.
    I’d certainly wear some sort of identification stating that you were anticoagulated as well.

totalshell

always look on the bright side hugor..
    since starting my habit i ve married had two great kids raced motorcycles ride mc trials every weekend and i’ve just applied for my car racing licence (which i m told on principle i ‘ll get)
    i ride my five as often as i can jog around the track as my kid trains with the local harriers i work 5/6 days a week i live a normal life..live been the operative word. falsly restricting your activities for the fear of the unlikely is not good telling others to do it is worse..
    sure be aware you ll bleed most folk do sure you may bleed more than most folk not everyone does

mattsccm
    Free Member

My brothers doing the marathon tomorrow on it.expecting sub 4 hours

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks ts, just what I needed to read. I’m just naturally slow and cautious anyway. And I’ll avoid going alone or remote, at least until the dosage settles down and I get comfortable with the new status. And I’m old enough to get free prescriptions.

I’ll ignore the negatives above unless they are personal experience. I’ve done couch potato before: I’m not going there again. NHS folk seemed positive about continuing btw.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on Warfarin and riding?’ is closed to new replies.